Anyone use a compact 12V vacuum cleaner?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigT

Reaction score
I'm looking for recommendations for a decent 12 Volt, compact vacuum cleaner for picking up dirt and dust in a van/camper.  

Amazon sell countless models, but it's always nice to hear from members who have first-hand experience.  

If my van didn't have indoor/outdoor carpet on the floor and also covering the mattress foam, I'd simply use a damp rag, but I think a vacuum would likely be the best choice for getting dust, dirt and grit out of the interior.  

In my experience, sweeping only does so much, but not enough when dirt is trapped in the carpet.  It's also difficult to sweep under or around the front seats.  

They seem so popular, I can't imagine there's much risk of blowing fuses in your Acc outlets.  

It seems they considerably more expensive if they're cordless.

Whenever it comes to vacuum cleaners, and cars, my experience has been, that those attachments - so it is possible to get the suction/mouthpiece up-close-and-personal to the dust etc. - makes all the difference.

Another method of attacking dust or things in corners and narrow spaces in the front of a vehicle (as well as seat covers and other fabric), is to use compressed air.

A vacuum cleaner only seems to be able to do so much in those corners and tight spaces.
A blast of compressed air, seems to be a very good and efficient combination, after one has removed as much as possible, using a brush, damp rag,  and/or vacuum cleaner.

I’ve had a cordless Milwaukee vacuum for three years or so. It does a good job of cleaning up the cab and “sleeper” of my Peterbilt Motorhome conversion. It is convenient to use and sucks pretty good. In Home Depot the other day I see Milwaukee has come out with a slightly larger model, also cordless.

The physical design of these small handheld units, most all of the ones I have seen whether corded or cordless, place the intake impeller (fan) directly in the path of the incoming dirt. This is probably done to make the unit small, and cheap to manufacture. Larger vacuums place a dust filter or bag over the intake fan to filter the dirt and dust so it doesn’t get to the motor.

I know all this over-analysis of a stupid hand held vacuum is typical some of the posts here which go way off the deep end in providing a simple answer to a simple question. But, it did take me a few handheld units which crapped out to learn about this design flaw.

Simple answer: I have been happy with the Milwaukee unit I have. When it fails I will buy another. But these small units are no substitute for larger units that really “suck.” But for a quick “dusting” they do the job until you can bring in the heavy guns.

Just my opinion . . .

That shop vac is not 12 volts or even rechargeable.

I have a Black & Decker Dustbuster Lithium Flex. 

It works well. Has a cleanable filter and the attachments let me get into nooks and crannies. It does a fairly decent job of picking up pet hair too. (and cat litter.... sigh. I'm constantly sweeping up cat litter...)

That Black & Decker Flex looks nice, but it's a bit too big for my van.

I should mention, or add, that I have a tiny Transit Connect, so space is limited.  If rechargeable, I need something that charges off a 12 Volt outlet.
I have no inverter.  

breaker1nine.  I was looking at that one last night.  It does seem like a good model.  There's also an option for a slightly smaller version when shopping for that model.  

It gets great reviews -->   https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GS33HB6?th=1   Although to be honest, with Amazon reviews, it's hard to tell which model the reviews are for.  If several units are listed in one ad, the reviews could be any one of them.  

I'm actually starting to wonder if the reviews I just read are actually for the larger model and not the compact design.   :s

Edit: Turns out most of the good reviews are for larger model.  People are including the color (Black & Yellow or Grey) at the start of their reviews, so you know which one is being mentioned.  

I have a little Kirby (Dustbuster type) that plugs into the cigarette lighter. Pretty worthless in my opinion. I deep-clean with the vacuums at carwashes, when I can. But can live with a little mess for awhile. Vandwelling is not easy for the perfectionist

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I have an older model B&D Flex which I picked up at a community flea market for $4. The NiCads were pooched, so I yanked 'em out and converted it into a 12v plug in unit. Damn, does that puppy work well.. best damn 12v vacuum I've EVER had. ..Willy.

Iggy said:
But I can live with a little mess for awhile. Vandwelling is not easy for the perfectionist

No perfectionism here, just a slob that wants to be able to suck up the crumbs I tends to drop around the driver's seat of my van, before they attract ants.  

I'm not living in my van.  It's way too small for that, for me anyway.  I just thought it would be nice to have a compact system I could keep in the van for when I want to clean up after a trip to the beach or whatever.  

Thanks for all the replies.  :cool:

Teresa33 said:
This is the one I have and I love it.  Does a good job on carpet and hard floors.  It's cordless and compact.  I just clean the filter myself with a little soap and water when necessary so it cuts down the cost on buying the filters.  Hope this helps.
https://www.amazon.com/BISSELL-Lift...ss+vacuum+cleaner&refinements=p_36:2000-12500

Apparently this won't work with 12 V.  I put a question up on Amazon and this is the answer I got:

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Arial, sans-serif]A fellow customer answered your question, "Can this be charged on 12 volts? I live in a van conversion." about BISSELL Lift-Off Floors & More Pet - Cordless.[/font][/font][/size]
[font=arial, sans-serif][font=Arial, sans-serif]Miketn answered:
[/font][/font]

"It has a 110 plugin for charging, so I'd have to say no."​

That's what inverters are for, charging 110 plugins on 12 volt.

Latest posts