Anyone tried this 12v cooling option?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jimindenver said:
Chip

I run my 5000 BTU A/C pulling 450w off of 750 watts flat with no loss to the bank. It pulls between 33 and 38a inverter and all, the system puts out 40-50 amps. It ran the A/C from 10 am to 5 Pm in 94F heat on a battery that read 12.4v at the start. The last two hours were as the light slipped and it took that long to get the dieing battery down to 12v under load.

Peak for one of my 250w panels is 18.5a , flat will cost you so move up to a 275 or even 300w panel. You will be pushing 20a and a pair will cover the 410w.

my electronics vernacular is not there yet. english please? what do i buy and where do i buy it?

drewker said:
my electronics vernacular is not there yet. english please? what do i buy and where do i buy it?

Basically, he's running a 5,000 BTU a/c off of 750 watts of solar that is flat mounted on the roof. Flat mounting means that you lose some solar capability as opposed to tilt mounting the panels.

HOWEVER, the figures J/D has supplied are for running A/C WHILE the sun is up. This is entirely different from running the a/c once the sun has gone down(what you want to do) Basically he's getting his power through the batteries but not FROM the batteries since the solar panels are powering the batteries while he's running the a/c.

The minute the sun started getting lower on the horizon, the solar system wasn't keeping up with the a/c usage thereby reducing his batteries to below 50% (which you shouldn't do) before having to start recharging the batteries with a generator (I assume).

To run the a/c during the dark hours you need a battery bank big enough to power them for long enough AND a means of recharging them the next day that will be a fast enough recharge to get them back up to 100%.

akrvbob said:
Buy it all from  from Northern Arizona Wind and sun.  http://www.solar-electric.com/misocl200mpc.html

1) Three Kyocera 315 watt panels
2)  Midnight Solar Classic 150
3) 8 Crown golf cart batteries.

Around $3000.

well that is worth more than the van, but thanks. i will probably head back to the northwest if it gets too hot. maybe i can make that investment down the line.

drewker said:
Looking at cooling options that do the job. I have already done reflectix on windows and hanging a curtain... 

What about a 12v thermo-electric cooler or a 12v freezer/fridge?  Basically, you leave the fridge / freezer door open to cool the van... would that work? 

fyi, I bought the kooleraire mini swamp cooler. that thing is a total joke / waste of money

Interesting that you bought the Koolair mini swamp cooler and were not happy with it. It's the best investment I ever made for my van. When I go to bed I put it on low and the cooler blows cold air down my entire body. I sleep like a baby. Other than my vent, I can't think of anything else that keeps me so comfortable.

akrvbob said:
Buy it all from  from Northern Arizona Wind and sun.  http://www.solar-electric.com/misocl200mpc.html

1) Three Kyocera 315 watt panels
2)  Midnight Solar Classic 150
3) 8 Crown golf cart batteries.

Around $3000.

8 batteries is overkill for 1000 watts.  Consider that when it is sunny you are using the A/C, so maybe you have 300 watts left to charge the bank....not enough amps to make eight happy.

I find that two 125AH is about right for 1100 watts solar plus A/C.  But I turn off the A/C when the sun turns off.

Luciano151 said:
Interesting that you bought the Koolair mini swamp cooler and were not happy with it. It's the best investment I ever made for my van. When I go to bed I put it on low and the cooler blows cold air down my entire body. I sleep like a baby. Other than my vent, I can't think of anything else that keeps me so comfortable.

you must be an affiliate or something. that thing was weak. i saw a couple of youtube vids where people said the same thing. believe me, i wish it worked... this ac business is a serious pain in the ass

Luciano151 said:

here are the reviews on amazon - 67% are 1 star reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/12-Volt-Portable-Air-Conditioner/product-reviews/B001448O9K

There is a big difference in blowing a cool breeze over you and cooling down a space. When it is too hot for our A/C to cool the trailer, we either close off the area it is in or at least get that cool breeze off of it.