Anyone tried Hawaii?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got to admit -- there's something special to think about shipping your van to hawaii and basically that would be like a vacation within a vacation if you know what i mean haha...  but watch out for the zika virus!  heheh... :p

I spent a year in Hawaii on Oahu, and it was very much like living in a different country. It's very expensive for food, so it's a good idea to find a job in a restaurant to offset the cost. Since I was a restaurant manager, I never went hungry. Dwelling in a vehicle would prove to be a bit difficult because parking ANYWHERE on Oahu, especially in the Waikiki area is a pain. There is just NO parking. I found myself driving around a lot just to find a spot to visit the beach. So, I paid for parking at the zoo, at which time you have to feed the meter every four hours. It is, however, a stunning beach! There are areas that you can live on the beach on Oahu, but they can be very dangerous if you are not a "local". Areas to avoid would be Waianae, Waipahu and a few others. If I were to return there, I'd pick the Big Island, where there is a lot more open space, land mass and places to park.

Ill be on the Big Island in about a week, I'll keep my eyes open. Don't know if I can spot a dweller but I'll try, lots of places to get lost.

One really neat thing is if it gets cold, head to the beach. If it gets hot, head up the mountain. The temp drops like a mother you know what. It's not a very long drive to get to snow!

John

Excellent trip to Hawaii, makes me miss the beauty and the ocean.  :D  Thanks for sharing all the great pics!

OK, you've all pretty much convinced me I'm not up for the Hawaii trip. I keep learning stuff all the time.... Frankly, having worked the whole winter in the desert, I might not mind finding a product and come back here selling next year.... probably yuma or some such where the crowds are gathering more for longer. The weather has been nasty, El Nino hasn't done us any favors, but morning until recently have been COLD... for a desert. It's been that way across the country, but impressions are what they are. We aren't precluding coming back... desperation drove us here in the first place:)

Talked to a van dweller to day, nice folks. They were parked out at the old Kona airport, beach showers and public bathrooms. Pretty place!

Saw a few adds for vans that were quoted as being perfect for camper conversions.

John

GotSmart said:
Hawaii has a whole different classification of problems.  The locals do not appreciate mainlanders without money.  Homeless are treated extremely badly there.  The surfers "own" the beach area, and dwellers are not welcome.  

That information came from locals I am in contact with.

I did six weeks on the Big island living out of a tent and jeep wrangler.  Met plenty of others living out of back packs.  I personally never once ran into any trouble, not from the homeless, police, or locals.  Plenty of state campgrounds right on the beaches where I'd spend a few nights at a time, some very secluded spots where I had an entire beach to myself. All in all, one of my favorite trips,  and for all the talk you hear about locals not liking outsiders, I never once experienced any of that.  Personally think it's just a rumor to keep people out.

Every Road Leads Home said:
for all the talk you hear about locals not liking outsiders, I never once experienced any of that.  Personally think it's just a rumor to keep people out.

Agreed!

That's like all the shark sightings we get out here. I think it's just our local surfers trying to keep the California 'Kooks' off our waves! :D

I lived in Hawaii for three years and it's a very tough place. It's no rumor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk