Anyone tried a hammock in a van?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WanderingCanuck

Reaction score
The title is the question.

Has anyone tried a hammock for sleeping in a van or other mobile dwelling?  My thoughts would me something robust that I could also use for backcountry camping rather than a $9.99 Walmart special, but anyone's experiences would be appreciated.

Looking at the dimensions for a Transit HR LB, there would be a little more than 13' corner to corner.  This seems like it would be just enough for a proper hang, for a person that's at least 6'2" like myself.

The advantage might be that it can be stowed out of the way when not in use, but on the other hand the space under a bed is typically used for storage rather than wasted.  Another big one is that it would easy to adjust, and even self-adjusting side-to-side when parked on an incline.  This is just another one of my musings in considering the layout and design that could work for me.

Short answer, yes. There have been a couple of threads on here a few years ago about this.

shadowmoss said:
Short answer, yes.  There have been a couple of threads on here a few years ago about this.

I'd love to have them pointed out because my search for "hammock" didn't yield anything obvious.

Fine if you're mostly leaving the interior open, they do require a lot of space and with a full buildout preventing interference would be tricky

I tried a Trek Light double hammock (10' long) and found it pretty comfortable and good for my back. However, I'm an older guy and I found that pissing into a jug 3 times a night was a real hassle.

slow2day said:
However, I'm an older guy  and I found that pissing into a jug 3 times a night was a real hassle.

How so?  Just in terms of having to extricate yourself (safely) from the cocoon-like confines of the hammock, then get yourself nestled back into it?  I can see how this would be more difficult than just throwing back the covers on a more traditional mattress.

John61CT said:
Fine if you're mostly leaving the interior open,  they do require a lot of space and with a full buildout preventing interference  would be tricky

Seems like a valid point.  I'm thinking it might enable me to build out an interior slower than would be needed with a traditional bed.  If I could figure out a design that keeps fixed items to opposite corners it might work.

WanderingCanuck said:
Seems like a valid point.  I'm thinking it might enable me to build out an interior slower than would be needed with a traditional bed.  If I could figure out a design that keeps fixed items to opposite corners it might work.
With valid anchor points I can see a hammock on the center line working, especially with extended vans. In this video, Jamie has her hammock being used as a seat, (hammock shows up at minute 12:35).   Hammocks are cooler to sleep on during hot weather, and when drawn tight are incredibly comfortable!

I have 3 years of hammock sleeping in a van. First year in a full size dodge, last three years in a Toyota minivan.

I love all the floor space it frees up and also being level is less important.

rm.w/aview said:
With valid anchor points I can see a hammock on the center line working, especially with extended vans. In this video, Jamie has her hammock being used as a seat, (hammock shows up at minute 12:35).   Hammocks are cooler to sleep on during hot weather, and when drawn tight are incredibly comfortable!

My  van isn't extended or a hi-top. Honda Odyssey. All rear seats removed.
My hammock hangs diagonally across the rear cargo area.
You don't pull a hammock tight. The sag is what works best, for a number of reasons. Then your body lays diagonally.

Hammocks are cooler..the air can get around under you . But this is also something to consider in cold temps. I have the proper insulation and have slept in the hammock to sub-freezing temps.  Last week was -19* in Michigan and I slept fine. I ran the heater prior to bedtime and when I woke up at 6am. 

If needed the hammock flips out of the way in seconds and the entire cargo area is free for whatever. Try that with a big bed frame. The hammock weighs 1 pound, which saves me gas. 
I custom made the hammock to fit the dimensions of this van. Cost $5 in Walmart materials.

WC, there are a few vids on youtube where the people run a strap over the roof and into the rear hatch and passenger door. You can try that for a quick and simple setup. The straps will allow water in during a rain. So, its a fair weather set-up.

Been a fulltime hammock sleeper for over 2 years now here at the house. My Hammock is a 11ft gathered end style. It is big and by far the most comfy for me being six foot tall. Everybody is different and it took me a little while to find out what works for me. Most important is to lay somewhat diagonally and not inline with the Hammock. The lay gets much flatter. I use a pillow for my knees and a small pillow for my head. Sleep better than I ever have in a bed and my wife is happy also since I snore and am in a different room. (stayed up all night one night to see if I snored and I didn't) :)

-Mike

Yeah, it's a great idea! I have a pull out bed/sofa in my van and anchor points to hang a hammock when the bed is folded up. It can get chilly since there's nothing underneath you...I put my sleeping bag in.my hammock sometimes and that's pretty cozy but not a permanent solution for cold weather.
If you do want to have a hammock in your van, you need to design around it so none of your furniture will get in the way when it's hanging.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

It continues to sound like a viable solution.

As for the cold, if I'm planning to insulate the living space very well and have a gas furnace (propane, gasoline, or diesel) for temperature control, does this issue go away? I'm aware of the difficulties of using a hammock outside in cooler conditions but wouldn't think this would be a problem inside where I control the temperature. I suppose if I wanted to run things cooler at night the same would still apply.

If you put the insulation/sleeping bag under the hammock, snugged up against it, then the issue of compressing it with your weight goes away. A regular blanket can work as well for this, you just need to gather the ends a bit looser than with the hammock, and it doesn't have to be as long. Another way is to have a large sleeping bag and slip the hammock inside it, so that the bottom of the sleeping bag is below the hammock and the top is above you. Leave the bottom of the sleeping bag unzipped for the end of the hammock to go through. The primary idea is to have the insulation under the hammock, not between you and the hammock.

WanderingCanuck said:
How so?  Just in terms of having to extricate yourself (safely) from the cocoon-like confines of the hammock, then get yourself nestled back into it?  I can see how this would be more difficult than just throwing back the covers on a more traditional mattress.

It was hard for me to get out of when half asleep since I'm a bit hefty and have back problems. I tried using a urinal but the hammock squeezes you into a position where that doesn't work well.  I also have a problem with a knee that doesn't extend well because of a botched ACL repair, so that was a problem,too.

The swaying, rocking-cradle sensation is great and I had planned to add some kind of electric motor driven cam action device to my van's suspension to keep the slight sway going all night. Like wave action while sleeping in a boat. Oh well....

WanderingCanuck said:
It continues to sound like a viable solution.

As for the cold, if I'm planning to insulate the living space very well...
My wife and i incorporated a couple of high quality (Warbonnet brand) hammocks for about three seasons for use outside. One thing that helped me dial in the comfort is also something i'm wearing as i type... a Selk Bag, think of it as basically an adult one piece insluated snow suit of sorts. I'm in this thing almost all day inside during the winter as we pretty much let the temp do whatever relative to outside...it is ~36 outside and ~50 inside.

But the biggest factor for me was that i was basically wearing my sleeping bag and it was a quick step out of the hammock, do the deed, then climb back in. No fuss about getting bedding back in order (which can be a real PITA in a hammock unless you are using under/over quilts).

We focus on keeping our body comfy rather than the air in our full time rigs (our 43ft toy hauler-home, and van conversion).

Thom