anyone out there tow a minivan instead of trailer?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoulRaven

Reaction score
Hi vandwellers,

I'm kicking around the idea of towing a minivan with my 1998 Jeep Cherokee XJ (has a rebuilt 4l i6) .  There's a 1995 Ford Aerostar a guy is selling  for $700 ... 
Needs new brakes.   I used to have a 1991 long Aerostar like this one... when I took the seats out, there was plenty of room for sleeping.

I want to keep my Jeep with me, because some of the places I want to camp out (here in Colorado), are up some pretty steep and rocky trails.  I could save a boatload of money by getting an aerostar as compared to a Scamp or TinyGuy  ...  the idea is to drop the Aerostar at the lower parts of trails. 

I was thinking that removing the engine and other non-essentials would make it much easier to pull.  I don't know if I'm just being stupid, or creative. 
I've never owned a trailer before, so I have no idea about titling and tagging... or if I would have to put it on a car trailer or what.  

If anyone has done this or something like this, I'd love to hear about it.  Considering some of the things I've seen on the highway in my life, 
it's hard to believe that SOMEONE SOMEWHERE hasn't tried it.  

I hope I was somewhat clear about what I'm asking here!  :)

Else, I'll have to do more research.  

Thanks in advance for any help.

I tried it hoping it would be feasible to just pull my home around with my truck. Flat towing my minivan with a little 305 v8 sucked! It worked but it's not something I would want to do unless I had to. While you can back up a trailer backing up a car on a tow bar is a big no-no, the front wheels of the toad will turn while reversing.

Too heavy. Even with the running gear out, you have 2X the tires, all the extra suspension weight, for a van body that is skinnier than a cargo trailer at half the weight.

I have seen a van turned into a true trailer, if you have a place to work and the skills. The person basically cut off the body right beind the front doors and created a new front wall. Then they fashioned a trailer tongue the same way you've probably seen people do to make a trailer from the bed and frame of a pickup. Of course this only really works if the van has a full ladder type frame and not a unibody. I'm not sure if that is true for the Aerostar or not. It would still be heavier than a cargo trailer though, but probably cheaper if you can do the work yourself.

My younger son drives an XJ. I would think a 5 x 8 cargo trailer with a simple and light build would be about all I'd want to tow with it in Colorado. I live here too and have a 6 x 12 cargo trailer that is probably pretty close to the same as towing a Casita or Scamp or similar. I don't think I'd want to tow it through the mountains with his XJ. It would probably do it, but it would be slow going and probably hard on things like the tranny and rear end.

Buy a cheap small trailer, much further ahead.

liptonsunshinewilde.jpg

poncho62 said:
Buy a cheap small trailer, much further ahead.

liptonsunshinewilde.jpg

That looks like a Scamp... Is that what it is?  I really like that... I was just hoping to save some $$ .  
Again, thanks for all the feedback.

masterplumber said:
I have seen a van turned into a true trailer, if you have a place to work and the skills. The person basically cut off the body right beind the front doors and created a new front wall. Then they fashioned a trailer tongue the same way you've probably seen people do to make a trailer from the bed and frame of a pickup. Of course this only really works if the van has a full ladder type frame and not a unibody. I'm not sure if that is true for the Aerostar or not. It would still be heavier than a cargo trailer though, but probably cheaper if you can do the work yourself.

My younger son drives an XJ. I would think a 5 x 8 cargo trailer with a simple and light build would be about all I'd want to tow with it in Colorado. I live here too and have a 6 x 12 cargo trailer that is probably pretty close to the same as towing a Casita or Scamp or similar. I don't think I'd want to tow it through the mountains with his XJ. It would probably do it, but it would be slow going and probably hard on things like the tranny and rear end.

I haven't seen an Aerostar up close for a while. but I do think it is a unibody....
One of my best friends is a mechanic ... he was saying since I have a manual tranny in my XJ... the tranny would not be a problem. 
I dont plan on being in a hurry to go anywhere!   :cool:

Thanks again.

Yeah a 4.0l with a 5 speed is a pretty good combo for towing more so if you have the 4 door long wheelbase. But towing is still hard on the drive train, suspension and btakes the 5 speed jeep used is just a light duty trans not really built for much abuse.
With my truck towing the mostly empty van on a tow bar. I averaged about 50mph on the flattish and strait stretch between Montrose and Grand Junction. I had originally planned to tow it on 550 S through the mountains but quickly axed that idea.
That mitsubishi was probably right around 3300lbs after I pulled my batteries and other "essentials" out. I've towed the same van on a car hauler and that was a much more peaceful driving experience but an extra 1500lbs of trailer doesn't help when the tow vehicle is lacking in the size and power areas.

I remember when I was looking 4x8 cargo trailers were pretty darn cheap. Even cheaper if you are good at construction type stuff a Harbor freight 4X9 trailer chassis is around $300 and I've seen at least one camper or tiny home built on one of those.

minimotos95 said:
Yeah a 4.0l with a 5 speed is a pretty good combo for towing more so if you have the 4 door long wheelbase. But towing is still hard on the drive train, suspension and btakes the 5 speed jeep used is just a light duty trans not really built for much abuse.
With my truck towing the mostly empty van on a tow bar. I averaged about 50mph on the flattish and strait stretch between Montrose and Grand Junction. I had originally planned to tow it on 550 S through the mountains but quickly axed that idea.
That mitsubishi was probably right around 3300lbs after I pulled my batteries and other "essentials" out. I've towed the same van on a car hauler and that was a much more peaceful driving experience but an extra 1500lbs of trailer doesn't help when the tow vehicle is lacking in the size and power areas.

I remember when I was looking 4x8 cargo trailers were pretty darn cheap. Even cheaper if you are good at construction type stuff a Harbor freight 4X9 trailer chassis is around $300 and I've seen at least one camper or tiny home built on one of those.

I DO have the 4 door long.  I've bailed on the idea of pulling a minivan (even a gutted one).  

550 S?  Now, even considering that route, you are a brave person!    :)  Over Molas Pass also?  I've done that route with just my Jeep, and found it to be
1. Beautiful
2. Scary as s*t. 
The road between Ouray and Silverton is pretty scary.

Thanks!

minimotos95 said:

No matter how slow the OP goes forward, there will be times for the need to bring the rig to quick stop. The brakes on the tow vehicle have to brake two vehicles. The heavier weight of the Aerostar (~3500# original curb weight) will push the Jeep around on a downhill run. Add rain, snow, etc. and the danger goes up.

IMHO this combination is very unsafe and unreliable.

Be careful.

wayne49 said:
No matter how slow the OP goes forward, there will be times for the need to bring the rig to quick stop. The brakes on the tow vehicle have to brake two vehicles. The heavier weight of the Aerostar (~3500# original curb weight) will push the Jeep around on a downhill run. Add rain, snow, etc. and the danger goes up.

IMHO this combination is very unsafe and unreliable.

Be careful.

As I mentioned earlier, I've given up on that idea.  But it is good information for anyone else who might consider that.

Minnimotos mentioned the Harbor Freight 4 x 8 trailer. That is actually a good idea for a cheap light build to try it out. You could easily build 4' high walls and a solid top using standard plywood sheets. Add a couple salvaged windows, a cot and some solar lanterns, move in and hit the road. If that works out, and you want to build something nicer later, I have plans for a teardrop built on that same trailer frame. I live north of Colorado Springs and could meet to get a copy of them to you.

masterplumber said:
Minnimotos mentioned the Harbor Freight 4 x 8 trailer. That is actually a good idea for a cheap light build to try it out. You could easily build 4' high walls and a solid top using standard plywood sheets. Add a couple salvaged windows, a cot and some solar lanterns, move in and hit the road. If that works out, and you want to build something nicer later, I have plans for a teardrop built on that same trailer frame. I live north of Colorado Springs and could meet to get a copy of them to you.

Wow... that is incredibly nice of you.  I will take you up on that.  Let me know what method to make that transfer you're most comfortable with.  I could meet you somewhere that you're comfortable with , or you could leave them somewhere, like Magnum Shooting Center, for example.  They know me pretty well up there. 
Or a place of your choosing.