Anyone near Memphis TN?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, just an update for all those who helped me.
I did hook up my own pwm controller to my fridge, knowing I'm risking batteries because I connected 5 in parallel instead of only 4 but it's what I have. It seems to run perfect all day with sun and will freeze, With a full charge at sunset, then I set it to eco and stays fairly cool over night. But it shuts down around midnight on eco. Working only as an ice chest overnight. Not ideal but it's what I got. I will save up now for bigger batteries and a mppt controller. Thanks again, so much to everyone.

I suspect the batterybank is not getting a full charge. A full charge will easily get you through the night, the fridge even in freezer mode shouldnt use more then 20 amp hours during the 12 hours of night.
Next time your charging, check the voltage at the battery terminals, it should read at least 14.4 volts when its near a full charge. Lifepo4 can go as high as 14.6 volts but 14.4 volts will keep from activating the bms. If the controller shows 14.4 volts but the battery terminals is less, then the battery is not getting a full charge due to voltage drop. When I started using lifepo4, I had problems getting a full charge due to voltage drop.

If you do have a full battery, then the reason the fridge is shutting down is due to unstable voltage. My fridge had a similar problem of shutting down after the sun went down. The compressor would start but shut down right away then cycle back on and off. This happen with my 220ah lifepo4 more then enough power but it was unstable. I had to use a boost/buck converter set to 13.2 volts to stabilize the voltage, this fix the problem and havent had anymore problems.

Ok thanks for that information. When I googled a full charge on a lifepo4 it told me 13.4 so maybe I am not getting a full charge. I had a water leak yesterday and had to take everything out. No electrical got wet thank God but I will be putting it back together today I hope. I see many different ratings for that buck boost converter but not expensive. What size would I need if all I'm running is that fridge?? Can it be too big?

This is the first I heard of having to run a buck/boost converter to run a refrigerator. Is this normal for lithium batteries? Doesn't seem right.

Highdesertranger

Not all 12 volt fridges require it, my joytutu 26L requires it when the my lifepo4 or li-ions are at less then 50 percent. If your batteries are always full or you have solar running at the same time it won't affect the the fridge. I would recommend for small battery banks, the boost/buck converter will provide stable power even when the lithium bank goes down below 10 volts (as long as the bms doesnt activate). As long as the batterybank is producing power, no matter what the output voltage, the converter will boost it to what the fridge needs. The boost/buck converter would be comparable to a regulated 12 volt output on some of the small lithium power stations.

But since your batterybank wasn't fully charge, you might not need a boost/buck converter. Your fridge might just need a battery that is fully charge. I would try that first. Also the fridge has a low voltage cutout switch, it has low/medium/high you can try adjusting that switch before getting a boost/buck converter.

The drok boost/buck converter in the amazon link is too small at 35 watts/ 4 amps. The fridge requires at least 6 amps when the compresser comes on.
On my system I use 2 units, an actual boost converter and a buck converter. The boost converter boost the battery bank voltage up to 18 volts, then the buck converter bucks(lowers) the voltage to 13.2 volts. The reason for both converters is that its the only way to get 6 amps output.

boost/buck converter I been using. The boost converter is 400 watts, the buck converter is 300 watt. I've had this unit connected to my fridge 24/7 since last november (7 months) , fridge has been running perfect ever since. It loves the 13.2 volt stable power. When the compresser starts the voltage only drops to 13.0 volts momentarily then jumps back to 13.2 volts.
1 boost buck internals.jpeg

Attachments

• 1 boost buck internals.jpeg
    1 boost buck internals.jpeg
    101.8 KB · Views: 6
Kristal, im in OLIVE BRANCH but sadly i know nothing about solar. I was out west when you posted and just got back.

Ok so I'm pretty frustrated. I do seem to be getting a full charge and I'm pretty sure I've made all the adjustments to the fridge suggested here and more. I am going to go ahead and try the boost and boost buck converters. I'm really glad they are pretty cheap. I think these are the ones I suggested but just to be safe I'm posting pics so I don't buy the wrong ones.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lq2v5184kkd07od/boost buck converter.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tomeka4a04bnnmv/boost converter.png?dl=0

That "fridge" may be in reality only a cooler and not a compressor fridge.

When the ad says COOLER and not REFRIGERATOR/FREEZER, it raises red flags.

Those are the boost buck converters I'm using. Just make sure you get a small 60 or 80mm fan for them like in my picture. I use a small volt/amp meter to set the output of the converters but you can also use a multimeter. Youtube has videos on how to adjust the output of the converters. The boost output should be 18 to 19 volts, and the buck should be 13.2 volts 6 amps output.
So on you lifepo4 you saw 14.4 volts at the battery terminals? If you saw that while charging then you probably have a full battery. Once you have a full battery use your battery meter to see how much amps your using, that way you know if you use 20 amps today, tomorrow you have to add 20 more amps to be charged again.

Ok thanks so much for the info. Yes I'm getting the 14.4v. I'll be driving all day tomorrow with a bit of a time crunch so it may be the next day before I can spend some time with it. It's definitely a compressor fridge. No doubt. The company warrantees the compressor for 5 years and I researched the fridge pretty extensively. I believe it's a good one, and it freezes and operates supremely all day on 12v and on 120v. I had a 12v "cooler". I know what they are but thanks for letting me know just in case I didn't. I appreciate every bit of info I get here. I'm learning so much. It will take me a few days to get the converters and I have a small fan from on old computer my daughter had so I think it will work, it's 12v. I'm glad the parts are very inexpensive. I get to visit my oldest daughter and my only granddaughter (5 grandsons) for 4 days. All in all I still love that I have a fridge/freezer all day, even if it's just been its own ice chest for part of the night. I'm excited to learn more and see if I can get full usage out of it. I'll actually know what people are talking about when the subject of solar comes up lol. The education alone is worth all this. After all, I don't have anything more important to do. Just loving my life and my freedom right now. Thanks again, I'll check in after I get it all together or if I have questions.

Janine! I called, I hope I hear from you. I think we have alot in common and I hope to hear all about your trip! I could really use a friend too ? since I'm new here. All my friends I left in oregon do not really understand what I'm doing. Thanks for reaching out to me.

Jonyjow303 I would love it if u would chime in here. Does anyone know how to wire in a boost/buck converter, a boost converter and a small 12v fan for them? I have a picture of them together but I cannot see the exact wiring. A drawing or schematic would be great, showing the relation to the wiring to my compressor fridge and my control panel. I'm trying to stabilize the power from my solar charge controller and battery pack because I'm getting a full 14.4v from my batteries but my fridge is still shutting down before morning. I have 96ah of lifepo4 batteries. Also I installed/added my second 250w solar panel to my van roof. I haven't tried to plug it into my system yet so I'm still just using 250w. I only have a BougeRV 30Amp 12V PWM Solar Charge Controller but it seems to charge the batteries well. I just have no idea where to wire these parts in.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n75wlhnfrryzke...n.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n75wlhnfrryzke...n.png?dl=0