Anyone know of a conversion company?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Queen

Reaction score
With my new physical limitations I'm not really able to do a conversion on a van from blank box to habitable, does anyone know of a company that can do a minor conversion (not one of those limo-alike things)?  Something like insulation, build a bed and counter, maybe install an inverter...

At this point we're almost ready to consider an RV since I can't crawl around inside a van to prep it, but I thought maybe there would be another option.

Queen said:
With my new physical limitations I'm not really able to do a conversion on a van from blank box to habitable, does anyone know of a company that can do a minor conversion (not one of those limo-alike things)?  Something like insulation, build a bed and counter, maybe install an inverter...

At this point we're almost ready to consider an RV since I can't crawl around inside a van to prep it, but I thought maybe there would be another option.

You might be better off finding a local handyman that can do what you want. Heck you might run into an old vanner than knows exactly what you want.

Conversion companies used to be a dime a dozen but they're rather scarce now and most of those that survived do production line conversions like StarCraft.

Here's a list of conversion companies I found when I googled 'van conversion companies'.

http://www.conversion-vans.net/custom-vans/9-custom-van-manufacturers-list.html

I suspect (just gut feeling) that they're going to only want to do one of those 'limo conversions' and won't be in to doing a simple insulate/panel/bed/kitchen counter job.

That was my fear as well, I don't need/want running boards, aircraft lighting, loads of shiny faux wood, and acres of carpeting .

Draw up plans, (Lots of options on here) And interview handymen.

This is so frustrating, I had my knee replaced so I'd be more mobile, but it's pretty much as bad as before, hopefully over time I'll regain some mobility because I know how to do this stuff! I just hate the idea of paying someone for crap I know how to do.

You might point out WHERE you are. If you are in FL, try N. Florida Bus Conversions. As far as that goes, you might want to check with wwwbusnutonline.com in the forums and try a search to see if you can find any one recommended for your area. With a custom conversion, they will customize to your request not theirs. They will do as much or as little as you want. You can also try doing a search online for a  bus conversion company or an auto customization shop. You need to get past the "van conversion" as there really aren't that many van conversions out there. Not like there used to be. Be very careful that you research whomever you get to do your conversion. Don't just look at the pretty pictures. Anyone can stick pictures on a slick, or not so slick, website.

If you run across Sam Walker (in one of his many incarnations), RUN as fast a s you can and don't let any small children around him. He is a convicted pedophile (2X), supposed to be a registered sex offender (seems to get away with not registering) and will take your money and run. There are many buses he has taken too. Of course a lot of people will flock to the jerk after being warned and then cry about how they got robbed. The last person I told to stay away from him just HAD to go to him for their bus conversion. He stole it and their money. I told them they got exactly what they deserved. They were told REPEATEDLY to stay away by about 15 different people. (read this!)

If you go to the link for Sam Walker's current shop... All those pretty pictures? He takes them from the internet. He had no problem stealing an image from a private converter and claiming it as his own.

Thanks for the heads up, CR. I look at your bus and realize there is much I can still do, maybe I'll see if I could find someone to insulate but do my own build, then a handyman could do the install.

Kind of exciting to consider... this knee has me feeling very much the cripple these days.

Queen, while I haven't had a knee replacement, I am finding that my body is sadly out of shape (unless you consider round to be a shape... :rolleyes: ). I have trouble bending over for any length of time, look like a turtle when trying to get up and down from a sitting position on the floor etc. etc ad nauseum. Oh, and I'm too short to reach what normal people can! Confession time, I'm 66, female, 5' tall and need to lose more pounds than I'm willing to confess to.

I do most of my 'construction' work on a 2' x 4' table. When the screws that hold the folding legs were bothering the good plywood, I took some scraps of foam and taped them over the screws...now the plywood doesn't skitter around and I'm not damaging the plywood. When I wanted to cut lauan I found that it could lay on the van floor and I pulled only what I needed out the back cargo doors.

Most of the insulation work is measuring and cutting. Since I work alone measuring from the floor up took a little ingenuity to get the tape measure to stay in place. A little piece of wood with my foot on it held the tape measure in place. I did most all my installation sitting on a stool. It kept me from being bent over and kneeling is just about out of the question although those knee pads are one of my favorite tools.

What I'm basically saying is that a little bit of ingenuity and some adaptability can overcome most all but the most serious of 'disability'.

If you can get in and out of the van, even with a step stool, which by the way I use two of, one inside to sit on for work, one outside to get in the side cargo doors, then you can most likely figure out how to get the job done. And ask if you haven't been able to figure out a tactic on your own....I've probably already encountered it.... :D

Oh and when I ran into something that was just too difficult, I hired the teenager next door. It was the stupid caulking gun that my arthritic hands couldn't deal with. At $10.00 an hour, he was a godsend. He'll be back helping the next time I run into something I just can't handle.

Thanks for the reality check, Almost There! This knee crap has been going for for so long I've been losing confidence in abilities, but you're right, I could adapt and at least try.

Have you considered using Craigslist, or better yet Searchtempest, to search for 'stealth van'? You might find one or two set up very close to the way you want it for not very much money. Certainly for far less than a conversion company would want :)

Sometimes you got to think out side the bus...er? van...box truck? nonono I MEAN think out side the box :)
I do not know your current situation, but if you had a place for one of the members on this forum to park their van, plug in to an extension cord and maybe work with you to come up with a good working plan and get it built. I am sure there are things you could do to help if you had someone who could do some of the tings you needed help with??
maybe someone even has most of the tools?
perhaps even some good lessons learned on how NOT to do it this time around?

just thinking out loud.

I know past experience I have tried getting someone from Craigslist but so far that help has been hit and miss.

Good Luck
~C

matrixdutch said:
Van Specialties in Oregon
That place is excellent, love how their prices are broken down so completely ala cart! Thanks.

If I go that route I'll defitely hook up with them.

c_hasbeen said:
Sometimes you got to think out side the bus...er? van...box truck? nonono I MEAN think out side the box :)
I do not know your current situation, but if you had a place for one of the members on this forum to park their van, plug in to an extension cord and maybe work with you to come up with a good working plan and get it built. I am sure there are things you could do to help if you had someone who could do some of the tings you needed help with??
maybe someone even has most of the tools?
perhaps even some good lessons learned on how NOT to do it this time around?

just thinking out loud.

I know past experience I have tried getting someone from Craigslist but so far that help has been hit and miss.

Good Luck
~C

Thanks for the thoughts, some very good ideas there. I live in a condo so no place for a van dweller, but I have all the tools I think it's possible to own so I might just need to see if someone is local or traveling through.

At places where I've worked in the past, some of the maintenance Guys used to undertake Van Conversions.
They had Vans that they had converted for their own use and found it lucrative to do these things for
others who didn't have #1 the skills, and #2 the tools.   They had acquired plan sets that used to be available
in the Van Magazines in the mid to late 70's for the Ford, Chevy, and Dodge Vans. 

There are Van clubs still around today and I'm surprised they aren't beginning to grow again as people are taking to them to travel, work for contractors on short term jobs, and just to live in to enjoy the mobile life style.

I could see those who could covert a Van who have High School aged Kids to assist, making a business out of this during the summer.   Or buying Fleet Vans at auction for cheap and cleaning them up and converting them
 to basic Stealth Vans for resale.   I would see these as low end entry level short trip or weekender duty vehicles.

I'm in East Central Florida.

After many years on the road, my rules have evolved, and my comfort levels have increased.

Here's my rules for building a comfortable camper van:

A) Buy a window van with opening windows and intact interior, the bigger the better

B) Move out all the rear seats

C) Move your interior in

D) Never modify the van

Sticking to those simple and easy rules, it is quick, easy, and cheap, to build a totally comfortable and fully livable camper van. For the most part I repurpose household type stuff into a van. Perhaps old kitchen base cabinets, or a small desk, or just plastic drawer sets with wooden shelves across the top to create countertop. If you don't want to use one of the simple methods to build a bed, a futon sofa/bed can simply be moved in.

I keep everything portable. I use a campstove, dishpans for sinks, and a simple ice chest. Everything is portable, and can be used either inside or outside without duplication.

If the need arises to switch vans, your entire interior can be switched to your new van quickly and easily, and you can get on with your life.

I will never own another cargo van, or add extra insulation to a van again. You simply don't have enough room in a van to add enough insulation to last more that a couple of hours. Parking in the sun in the winter, and the shade in the summer is much more effective than any amount of insulation. Add proper heating and cooling devices, and you'll be comfortable year round and laughing at all of the people with all of their insulation and ice built up in their rigs.

I've lived and worked in places with extreme temperatures on both ends of the scale, from -40f to +120f and it's having proper heating and cooling equipment that is going to keep you comfortable, not insulation. Insulation in a van or RV isn't going to hold your indoor temperatures all day or all night no matter what you do without the heating and cooling equipment anyway.

Thanks, OG, this is such a great place to hear about real world/actual experience with this.

I've done the exact opposite of OG - I started with the insulation of my choice and each and every piece of furniture in the van will be built in...ok, the footstool won't be... :)

I want my home on wheels to be as much of a home as I can make it. I expect no less from it than I do from my apartment - it's just mobile is all! The biggest difference is that I have to make every square inch of space count.

I've had both window vans and cargo vans and the only differences I found were that I had more drapery to make and I had no place to put full height cabinets. The compromise was a cargo van with a pair of big windows on each side in the back. When I went shopping, condition, mileage and price were more important than what windows it had. If I don't like having the cargo door windows not open I'll swap them out for ones that do.

I totally agree that you should have every comfort and convenience of a house or apartment, and maybe even more. Living in my van has never been about doing without anything to me. I have my swivel, rocking, reclining, old style plush executive style office chair, that I can be comfy in all day or all night if I choose. It is comfortable enough to fall asleep in, and I sometimes do.

This is an important point though, at least to me, regardless of whether you choose to build everything in, or to keep it portable. Make sure your van is comfortable enough to actually live inside of for a week or more. Sooner or later you're going to run into that week or more of bad weather when you're going to want to spend all of your time inside your cozy van.

I'm currently in 100f+ temps, and if it wasn't for the fact that I'm working, if I was stuck here, I would be camped out in my van with my A/C running, enjoying myself. As it is, I have my A/C inside the tent here blowing on us or we'd be cooking.

Hot, cold, rainy, snowy, icy, windy, be prepared for all of it. You'll be glad you're prepared.