Anyone install a safe in their van?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sheena said:
Jesus. Enough with the lectures. Yes, I'm clear some are scared of the internet. I'm not interested in if they currently have safes or where they are. And obviously they don't have to share any helpful information or even comment on this thread unless it's useful.  I'm asking if anyone has thoughts on how to do it, or the process, or successfully have done it before. Why bother commenting if it's not helpful. If you take issue, just roll your eyes and move on. Many people have commented on this thread with helpful information without putting themselves in grave danger.

A lot of people ask a lot of questions here.  

Unless pictures are posted, it is just bandwidth.~~~   :blush:

Yes it can be done.   :D

Research for the kind of strong box you want, (Size, shape, cost  location) and have someone install it that lives nowhere near you.  :rolleyes:

Put a beehive over it for added safety.  ;)

Sheena, figure out what size box you need, and how inaccessible you want it to be.  You can have it welded in or bolted.  Either will be good.  You just want to make things hard for a sneak thief.  Someone determined will take what they want anyway. No matter how hard you make it.  Those are extremely few.  

A quick search turned up this unit that could be a real pain to get into.

http://www.amazon.com/Club-LB200-Personal-Vault-Security/dp/B002WRRNFO

GotSmart said:
A quick search turned up this unit that could be a real pain to get into.

http://www.amazon.com/Club-LB200-Personal-Vault-Security/dp/B002WRRNFO

Your link is similar to what I've used for secret stuff. I got mine at Walmart for $25. It didn't have the cable in it but I bought a key lock 3/8" cable 24" long, drilled two holes in the box and threaded the cable through and out the 2nd hole.

I removed a seat bolt from the back passenger seat of my truck and bolted down a 1/8" pc of flat stainless 2" x 4" that I had drilled two holes into. One for the seat bolt to hold the stainless down and the second hole to thread the cable through and back into the box and then I locked the cable. So the box was now connected to the seat bolt by the cable and the box was hidden under the seat.

Sure anyone with a decent bolt cutter could cut the cable and run off with the box. But first they would have to know that I had a box. Second they would need to know what it was fastened down with.

In another vehicle I did what GotSmart offered. I drilled through the box and the floor (using all due caution) and bolted the box to the Van floor with stainless carriage bolts. Again, keep whatever you use hidden or covered and no-one will be the wiser.