Anyone install a safe in their van?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sheena

Reaction score
I'm thinking a hidden compartment. Love to see examples of how this has been done. Or hear thoughts on how you keep your valuable safe.

oh no not again. sorry I couldn't help it. that last thread vanished, poof. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
oh no not again.  sorry I couldn't help it.  that last thread vanished,  poof.   highdesertranger

I'm a little confused. Why are you sorry? What post vanished?

I guessed you missed it. there was another thread along these lines that vanished. it was getting ugly. you do realize that hidden compartments are illegal in some areas. however a safe would be ok I think if you didn't try to hide it. after all some areas require you to have a pistol in a safe while transporting. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
 "you do realize that hidden compartments are  after all some areas require you to have a pistol in a safe while transporting."   highdesertranger

I see. Yes, I missed it. Not trying to stir anything up. I was just thinking it would be nice to place a few thingsthat mean a lot to me and a place to put my computer during the day. I've been burglarized before at my house and I was just thinking I might want a little secure spot for things I'd hate to be taken.

If I put a hidden compartment in my vehicle, I wouldn't tell you. :p

ZoNiE said:
If I put a hidden compartment in my vehicle, I wouldn't tell you. :p

Of course. I was interested in how it's done. How people managed to do it. I don't need to know where yours is now. I understand people might have done it in the past, maybe in an old van and would be willing to share the process. I didn't realize people were so touchy about sharing process.

yeah my post was not meant to get on your case. others who saw the thread will know what I was talking about. highdesertranger

you can buy rv safes a lot of the rental companies have them in their rigs, it is a good idea, I think most but I am not sure but my guess they are installed into the floor somewhere. another good place would be under one of the front seats, on my Dodge Caravan there is a lockable drawer there not too secure but it is stealth, and I am sure you could build it to be secure.

Note Emoticon sticking out tongue. It was a joke.
I'm planning to put one of those hotel type safes in my travel trailer...

Sheena said:
Of course. I was interested in how it's done. How people managed to do it. I don't need to know where yours is now. I understand people might have done it in the past, maybe in an old van and would be willing to share the process. I didn't realize people were so touchy about sharing process.

What ZoNiE and Gotsmart are saying is that people do not want anyone to know that they have a safe in their vehicle.  They could become a target.  It is a bad idea to post such info online.

Sheena, a Google search will turn up lots of info for you and videos also.

I will be putting a locking gun cabinet in my trailer when I build it.  (Cargo Trailer conversion, now in the final planning stage.)

Take a look at:

http://www.tuffyproducts.com/

You might find something there you can use.

Regards
John

I've always felt better keeping a few important papers and items in a small, fire-rated safe, and see no reason that would change when I'm mobile.

I had to replace a room safe at a hotel awhile back where they weren't able to open it any longer. It was simply mounted to a plywood shelf in the closet. I was really surprised what a PITA removing that thing was...ended up completely destroying the shelf using heavy bars. If that thing had been mounted to metal as I picture a vehicle mounting, nothing short of a torch would've gotten it out.

I was brought a safe from a convention where they had lost the keys.  A simple titanium step drill went through the lock like nothing.  :huh:

I'm gonna throw out that you can get a locking fire/safe for less than $40.00 and securely mount it any where convenient. Drill a couple holes and bolt it in, Suitable for hand guns and other precious smaller items.

Just an FYI in California the ammo needs to be in a separate location preferably as far away from the gun as possible. don't carry them in the safe loaded. Even locked that's a no no.

GotSmart said:
I was brought a safe from a convention where they had lost the keys.  A simple titanium step drill went through the lock like nothing.  :huh:

Good to know. Most crimes are committed simply because it's convenient. Just trying to make things just hard enough to make 'em not want to bother.

Cammalu said:
Sheena, a Google search will turn up lots of info for you and videos also.

Yep. I google everything. But there is a lot of wisdom here in these forums too. It's good to know what this community has to say.

BC Guy said:
What ZoNiE and Gotsmart are saying is that people do not want anyone to know that they have a safe in their vehicle.  They could become a target.  It is a bad idea to post such info online.

Jesus. Enough with the lectures. Yes, I'm clear some are scared of the internet. I'm not interested in if they currently have safes or where they are. And obviously they don't have to share any helpful information or even comment on this thread unless it's useful.  I'm asking if anyone has thoughts on how to do it, or the process, or successfully have done it before. Why bother commenting if it's not helpful. If you take issue, just roll your eyes and move on. Many people have commented on this thread with helpful information without putting themselves in grave danger.