Anyone go with no built-in electricity?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DLTooley said:
Above 500wh you'll be better off with a two golf cart lead acid battery and controller system. 
I don't see why this follows at all, when something like the Jackery 1000 has all the same features (easy charging, built in inverter, multiple sockets) as the Jackery 500, but with much more energy reserves. Not to mention total portability.

DLTooley said:
In my opinion, 500wh is a good size for a portable power station.  You do want to be able to power products and charge at the same time, which I understand the Jackery does.  You should be able to run a mid sized compressor fridge with such a set up, with a bit of caution.  LiFePo4 batteries are even better and the first of these are now available in the power station market.

Getting a solar panel is a major plus.  Mounting one if you have space is a cost, and convenience, plus.  There are folding suitcase types that you can set up.  100 watts would do, but 200 is better - especially if you are doing a compressor fridge.  I do ad hoc power management by driving more on rainy days to supplement solar power - going into town, etc.  Solar is however definitely cheaper than burning gas.

Above 500wh you'll be better off with a two golf cart lead acid battery and controller system.  A 200-500wh power station is a good supplement and backup to such a system, including low volt plugs.  LiFePo4 prices are dropping, and more importantly, becoming available at our segment of the market.
I agree. I am not trying to turn the clock back to the 1800s and live off the land. 
I want my home on wheels to be as near as possible the same as my old condo. TV, fridge, heating, cooling, shower etc etc.
You can't do that without power. That power doesn't HAVE to be electricity but it sure helps. 
I have just bought a Mighty Max 100 ah LiFePho battery and am going to parallel it with the 32 ah battery I built. So I should have a total of 132 ah. That should do the trick.
I also have 2 shiny new solar panels. 200 watts worth. 
At this point I have no idea what I am going to be able to achieve with that little lot. I also want to use a diesel heater for next winter. 
I love the idea of a wood burning stove. Not controllable enough though.  Free fuel but not very efficient. Bulky too. 
The gen must be eliminated as much as possible. It isn't about proving I can live without electricity but saving money. Gas costs money.

I don't think it's a good idea to parallel 2 different types and sizes of batteries. As far a gen, I agree. After the solar install, I've had no additional costs or maintainence issues in 3 years of solar use, plus it's been totally free energy.

Qxxx said:
I don't think it's a good idea to parallel 2 different types and sizes of batteries. As far a gen, I agree. After the solar install, I've had no additional costs or maintenance issues in 3 years of solar use, plus it's been totally free energy.

All my batteries are the same chemistry. So they are the same type. The 2 batteries are different sizes in the sense that they have a difference in amp hour rating. The load looks at them as a total. Just like water it will find its own level. Current draw will not focus on one battery or the other. 
I would love to have another $675 battery to put in parallel with the MM I have just got. Unfortunately needs must. I cannot waste the original one so I will have to see how this plays out. It will be an interesting experiment.

izifaddag said:
...it isn't just the cost it is the water everywhere. Fishing eggs and cheese out of ice water is always fun.
I absolutely agree!  Ruined food, cold wet hands, dumping water in parking lots to restock ice...  No fun at all!  Our chest now sits on a platform in back (stove, etc. slides under).  A hose runs from the drain on the side and through a space between the door seal and bumper.  Bagged ice sits on top of food.  Less than an inch of water accumulates in the sump at the bottom; the rest trickles out as ice melts.  It has totally changed our relationship with ice chests.  No muss; no fuss.

Getting ice does mean we have to "go in," or at least to the nearest boat ramp with an ice machine.  In the hottest part of the summer, we use a bag per day costing between $1.50 and $3.00, plus gas.

Thank you, everyone. So many good ideas to investigate. I appreciate all of the input, even (maybe especially) from those who think I'm crazy. So on to a few replies....

To Sofisintown and Qxxx, I use candle lanterns, not open candles. The candle (a 1 inch tea light candle) is completely enclosed in a heavy metal base with fireproof glazing material on all 4 sides. I've used these lanterns for backpacking and camping in tents, vehicles, on picnic tables, etc for over 40 years with no issues. But I have also considered battery-powered LED lights (per slow2day) and the Luci lights (per desert sailing) as alternatives.

To VanFan and desert sailing, yes, I have also considered running the extension cord through an open window. Most of the time if I were using shore power it would be in winter to run a tiny electric heater (that I already own) so I may not necessarily want a window open too far. But since I have no trouble sleeping without any heat down to about 0 degrees F (good wool blankets), I figure I am OK enough on that score.

To Qxxx, DLTooley, and izifaddag, I am definitely considering the suitcase or similar portable solar panels to recharge my Jackery. I'm also looking at purchasing a larger Jackery (500 or 1,000) as finances permit. I'm doing everything I can to avoid debt at this stage in my life.

To highdesertranger, I've done tons of back road and trail stuff for many years in a vehicle with only an ice cooler (albeit superinsulated). Depending on temperatures I can currently get 4 or 5 days on 10 pounds of cubes, 8 or 9 days on a 20 pound block, and almost 2 weeks with dry ice. I usually keep a heavy wire shelf in the bottom of my cooler to keep food out of water and repackage all my cooler food into waterproof containers. I'll see how things go but I would love to be able to avoid a 12v fridge. Any water I drain out becomes washing water.

To izifadag and desert sailing, I'm a huge history geek and have done historical reenacting since I caught the bug during the Bicentennial. I've done medieval (Society for Creative Anachronism), various Revolutionary War units, and western US fur trade (American Mountain Men) which are all pre-electricity periods. I am actually more comfortable in 18th century clothing and living in an 18th century fashion than in 2020. I am very happy living for weeks at a time as though I am in a different (earlier) time period. I have no trouble living in a modern dwelling and using minimal electricity now so I think I'll be ok with a little less in a van. I guess time will tell.

I am very grateful for all of the input. I'll continue to check in here just in case someone posts something more. I certainly appreciate everyone's thoughtfulness.

Sounds good, Michael. +1. So many options, but nothing compares to being in the field and getting experience via real life, LOL. And which many of us have been getting since we were boy scouts.

I'd still like to hear Tooley's explanation for .... "Above 500wh you'll be better off with a two golf cart lead acid battery and controller system". Non sequitur.

Stargazer said:
My first van was an E150, low top passenger van.  I took out all the rear seats and built out my simple camper.  Used a battery operated camping lantern that ran off either regular C batteries or had a small solar panel built on that recharged the other batteries.  Also used a candle lantern.  Recharged phone and tablet from starter battery, never a problem.  Propane stove and heater (little green bottles).  X-treme ice chest.  I did carry an extension cord and small electric heater.  If it was going to be a really cold night (like below 25 degrees), I would check into a park with electric hookup, run the extension cord out a small vent window for the heater, more for my little dogs than for me.  An O2 Cool battery fan for really warm nights.  Jugs for water.  Coffee can and small bucket lined with plastic bags for toilet.  Collapsible basin for washing and bathing.  Texas to Maine, then to Alaska, California, Colorado, and everything in between.

Then, I graduated to a Pleasure Way Class B.  Very nice.  Very big PITA, all those systems to maintain.  One trip to CO and sold it.  Am now setting up my mini van similar to the first E150.  So easy to use, so simple.  For those who like all the bells and whistles, go for it.  Me, KISS.

Totally agree. If I wanted to maintain all those systems, I wouldn't have sold my house.

I have a reliance bucket toilet, a couple of water containers, a USB charger that fits in my cig plug, rechargeable LED lights, a rechargeable USB fan, and a 300w "solar generator". And an outdoor extension cord for when I check into a campground or moochdock.

I could have stopped right there, and been just fine but I took a deep breath and bought a 12-volt refrigerator. So now I also have a Honda generator, an additional 500w "solar generator", and I just got a suitcase solar panel. I still occasionally question whether the refrigerator is worth all the complication. So far, it is, but changing my mind is not out of the question. We'll see.

jacqueg said:
 I still occasionally question whether the refrigerator is worth all the complication.
If I were starting over and wanted the "most complication free" path to a frig, I'd go for a small frig, the Jackery 1000 to have reserve electrons, and a compatible portable solar panel. The whole thing hooks up in 30-seconds with 2 plugs, and I could even move it to my tent.

Refrigerator vs Ice Chest

I had a 3-way fridge (12V/120V/propane) in the Class B. The RV fridges don't work well in either hot or cold weather, take a long time to cool newly added foods, and each time I stopped or started, I had to switch from one power source to another.

The ice chest was good for five days, mostly, and as I rarely stayed that long in one place, restocking ice was no big deal.  Available everywhere.  10# every five days, do the math.  What does a good solar system and fridge cost?  More than $1,000?  Ice at $5/week times 52 weeks is less than $300/year.  Even at $10/week, less than $600/year.  Much cheaper and easier than a solar setup, where you have to park in the sun or haul a heavy space-eating portable system out and in every morning and night and it can't be more than 20 feet away.  A good friend had her portable system for her fridge.  She was constantly moving the panels around to catch the most sun.  Once when at a week long camp, it rained for several days.  Knock knock...can you keep my milk in your ice chest?  Sure.  When we camped together, I almost always got the shady spot. 

I respect others likes for a fridge and a solar setup to run it.  But when I see others asking questions about why their system isn't working, and you need wires and cables and panels and batteries and controllers and inverters and fuses and cut off switches and the cost of all that and more and the constant monitoring and dog help you when something goes wrong, well, I just sit back and watch.  Because the ice chest will always work as intended, will not shut down at the worst possible time, it is never at a good time, is it?  Not for me, thanks anyway.  Call me lazy, lol.

As for draining what water I didn't use for washing or dogs, it was embarassing to leave that clean spot in a parking lot.

Just curious...  I wonder if those who love their fridges eat lots of meat and enjoy their beer?  Or do you keep the beer in...an ice chest??  Just kidding?

Love ya, HDR.  And sure, you can keep a few beers in my ice chest, they will be safe as my palate can't stand the nasty stuff.

Don't get me started on generators, please!

"... you need wires and cables and panels and batteries and controllers and inverters and fuses and cut off switches and the cost of all that and more and the constant monitoring and dog help you when something goes wrong, well, ...".

Good post, I went that route, although I did not jump head first into the deep end either, like many people do .... eg, $4000-5000 later. That's why we have guys like jimindenver. For me, 100W of solar and a small cooler work fine, albeit there are too many wires. But I do get to sit back and watch a DVD in the evening too. I think when my AGM batteries get weak, I'll toss all the wires and go the Jackery/etc route. Too darn easy. And maybe get a small frig just for fun. I hear the Alpicool 20 is good minimalist frig (???). All I really need is to keep some lunch meat, eggs, cheese, and veggies fresh.

Someone gifted me with a pair of used AGMs. They were on their last legs, but I made them work for a while, charging them with the DC charging cable that came with the Honda generator. Then one day the cable burst into flame and melted all over my car seat... Seemed like every time I thought I knew what I was doing with the AGMs, I turned out to be wrong. So I dumped the AGMs, and got my 500w "solar generator" to run my refrigerator and charge the [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]"solar generator"[/font] with the AC inverter of my [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]generator[/font] and I'm much more relaxed.

Plug and play is definitely my speed.

My Alpicool 30 keeps things plenty cold, and sips power. I can and do leave it plugged into my cig plug/starter battery all night, and my van doesn't seem to notice the power drain at all. Of course, I only do this if I'm driving the van at least a couple hours the next day.

Great discussion and lots of good information!  My husband and I joke about waiting for "Mr. Fusion" to hit the market to power our goodies.  Personally, I think Mr. Fusion Jr. would do the job, but we'll see.  Power to the people! (or not). :)

An alternative for light at night ... what I use is a string of fairy lights plugged into my Rockpals 300 battery. I have them set to change colors.. not twinkling, but you can set them for that - there are many options and colors in this one string of lights. This illuminates the interior of the van enough to see by if I wake up in the middle of the night and it also elevates my mood. This is the set I bought. I rarely use my Luci light anymore . . . it just sits on the van dashboard. If I need a light brighter than the fairy lights I'll turn on my rechargeable Stanley flashlight.

jacqueg said:
Then one day the cable burst into flame and melted all over my car seat... 
Good grief. I presume there was no fuse in there. Besides all the fun stuff, electrons are good for electrocuting yerself too, but not at a measly 12V. There are people who advocate using only 12 VDC systems, possibly because 120 VAC is so dangerous, and too many rig setups are base D-I-Y.

Thanks for the feedback on the Alpicool. I remember that Slim Potatohead gave them a good review.

travelaround said:
An alternative for light at night ...
I do a lot of reading, so I use a dimmable 60W 120 VAC Led bulb (11W draw). And my solar charger has a little red led that gives just enough light that I can see around in the dark van when I wake up, the retinas being in a dark-adapted state.

Sofisintown said:
.....A couple of Luci lights left on the dash will solve your lighting problem for good, without risking fire or darkness, and without use of batteries.
What I use.
-crofter

I use a couple of gallon sized jugs with screw on lids to store ice in my cooler. When the ice melts, the water stays contained in the jugs and can be transferred to the bigger water jug for washing dishes, bathing, etc.

I am glad to see soo many people out here that are enjoying the lifestyle with out all the attachment to a major electrical system. I honestly thought I was the only one with a tiny system.