Anyone else use tablet computers?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToyotaEscaper

Reaction score
Any others on here use the Tablet type devices? I ended up getting a Galaxy S tab a while ago not for the fads but because I remembered from when I was homeless before how convenient it was to have a flate slate like thing to slip in an out of my bag or coat pocket when travelling all over. Also stows away nicely in a small vehicle or tent and can hold on a cheap dash suction mount for gps, geocaching, war driving etc.

What is everyone elses thoughts on these things and using them?

Attachments

• IMG_20140926_201200.jpg
    IMG_20140926_201200.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 25
They're okay... Windows RT is garbage, but it's hard to find a nice tablet to run real windows without breaking the bank. I have an ASUS T100 that has Windows 8.1, but it's very slow with it (as expected with that hardware). A small laptop would be preferable to me.

I use my kindle fire hd a tremendous amount since being mobile full time. It uses less power and is much more convenient than my laptop most of the time. 7 inch screen and 1900x1080 resolution it tackles most anything I throw at it (except things that require flash).

kyonu said:
They're okay... Windows RT is garbage, but it's hard to find a nice tablet to run real windows without breaking the bank. I have an ASUS T100 that has Windows 8.1, but it's very slow with it (as expected with that hardware). A small laptop would be preferable to me.

Yeah I don't even like running windows on a computer as well either. I had a razer edge that ran it decently tho. Linux is something to look at and easy to install on tabs and phones if you want a computer OS.

riffraff said:
I use my kindle fire hd a tremendous amount since being mobile full time. It uses less power and is much more convenient than my laptop most of the time. 7 inch screen and 1900x1080 resolution it tackles most anything I throw at it (except things that require flash).

Right on. Do those run android or does amazon make its own version of an OS? The power efficiency is a nice thing tho. I can charge fast and run all day on a little 5 watt panel.

I love my iPad Mini, it's also how I communicate with all the hearing people who don't know ASL.

No experience with Android or Windows tablets. I imagine they are similar in capabilities.

Mine has Verizon built-in (for a monthly service cost) and is definitely useful.

i use mine for everything but games now..power consumption is just too good. i tried kindle but it uses an extremely modified version of android that basically locks you into thier content and appstore. i found a lot of apps and games were out of date and not updated compared to the google play versions. I have the kindle app on my android tablet so i get the benefits of both, just cant watch amazon vids. also i can get an archived flash on this tab, its buggy but it does work, so can watch most any video mqde in flash (amazon uses silverlight :\).

I use an Asus Eee as an E-reader - I have both the Nook and Kindle apps on it - and for casual web browsing. I need a real keyboard and mouse for serious work.

Regards
John

ToyotaEscaper
I use a reconditioned Samsung Galaxy 7 inch tablet, it runs more "like a real computer" then my old iPad II. But I like the bigger screen on my iPad, however it's harder to get spreadsheets and word documents out of the iPad in standard formats and harder to balance my checking.

Just last week I found a wireless USB jump drive at WalMart for $59.00 made by Sandisk.

http://www.sandisk.com/products/wireless/flash-drive/

What it really is; is a micro SD card reader a little larger then the biggest jump drives that also creates it's own WiFi network, all this with no internet connection. Mine was 16 GB and before I left the store I purchased a 32 GB micro SD card, and it works just fine.

The really nice thing about this, you use it just like a USB jump drive to access your files on a computer but also wirelessly over WiFi (again in Internet needed). You can use a web browser or download the Sandisk app for iOS or Android. It charges an internal battery while connected to USB or a USB charger. They claim it can four hours on a full charge.

I have tested this on a Windows 8.1 machine, laptop running Ubuntu LTS, iPad II, iPhone 5c and Android. It seems it would work no matter what device you use or have in the future. Very helpful even if you become homeless. It even worked plug into the USB attachment I have for my Android, which only provides minimum power. The only thing I'm not sure about is the capacity, how large can you go in GB.

Once your homeless, your always homeless and planning for when it happens the next time.

I use a Lenovo X220t convertible tablet pc with 8GB RAM and an SSD. I like having both pen and touch input and the bigger screen (12.5") is easy on the eyes.
Right now I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a decent Baytrail Windows pc with at least 4GB RAM, 10" screen, and a decent price. Will probably have to wait a few months till the market gets saturated and drives the prices down. ..Willy.

There has been extensive discussions on tablets versus laptops versus desktops in the past. One of the main advantages of using a tablet is the very low power consumption and the ability to charge the device via a simple USB power cable through a 12 volt car adapter. Long battery life is also a huge plus. Couple a thin tablet with a wireless Bluetooth keyboard and you have a viable alternative to a laptop or desktop. You can pretty much do most any task other than extremely taxing demands. Unless you have the latest MicroSoft Windows Tablet 3, hah!

ToyotaEscaper said:
Yeah I don't even like running windows on a computer as well either. I had a razer edge that ran it decently tho. Linux is something to look at and easy to install on tabs and phones if you want a computer OS.

Oh I have multiple nice laptops that run windows very well lol. I was stating how not-worth-it it is to run Windows on a tablet. I don't like linux... Being in IT as my field of work, I've gotten used to Windows a lot, don't much like Mac and Linux just doesn't suit me very well... But I hear it's fantastic to run on small laptops and tablets for a new learner or enthusiasts!

I use a Lenova Yoga 11S that I consider a fantastic compromise between a tablet and a laptop. But as a writer and photo editor my needs are more demanding than most so a tablet wouldn't do. But as a writer I needed something that was small/light enough to easily carry with me, log enough battery to be useful, and if I had 15 minutes free I could pull it out and have instant-on and write away and then later edit my photos and post.

The Yoga does all that very well!! I love the touch screen on Windows 8.1 and will always want one from now on.
Bob

ToyotaEscaper said:
Right on. Do those run android or does amazon make its own version of an OS? The power efficiency is a nice thing tho. I can charge fast and run all day on a little 5 watt panel.

It's android although mentioned here modified a bit. Got mine originally to develop apps for but now I find it hard to imagine being without it.

If connected to a fast WiFi connection it displays movies brilliantly. (Or if you download any to the device.)

Ugh, so many different types!! Can I just have one, that's tablet, able to have/attach to a keyboard, that has decent battery life, and can play the occasional WoW when I have wifi available without a monthly contract attached to it?? For now, have a POS laptop that decides to turn off when it feels like it (even with a cooling pad), and an iPad mini that was gifted to me from my daughter (and have terminated the internet monthly service). It works, I guess.

;)
My wife and i are Bi-Technical.

We each have a windows device. Her's is a 17" laptop, mine is a 10" netbook.
We each have a Kindle PaperWhite.
She has a Galaxy 10 tablet.
I have an iPad Air.

What we like and don't like...
The 17" laptop has been relegated to a don't-touch-or-screen-will-short Media player hooked up to a large screen TV in our full time 5th wheel.

The 10" netbook is used as a last resort these days to work in a program called "Mind WorkStation" by Transparent Corporation to create Brain Wave Entrainment audio files (a hobby of mine since the late 1970's). Once it is available as an iOS app i will most likely ditch the windows platform all together. . . It is my only reason for using Windows at this point.

The Galaxy 10" tablet is our choice for on-the-go GPS in our van conversion+tt when adventuring about. We use a program called "Co-Pilot" that utilizes the Galaxy's built in GPS/Satellite connectivity to have real time gps without cellular service. We paid ~$8 for the app three years ago and use it on each trip. The Galaxy is also our go-to choice for simple entertainment around the campsite if we want to watch a movie. The Android OS (at this point) still does a nicer (IMO) job than the iOS at playback of movies in various formats (mp4, mks, avi, etc...)

The iPad Air is used primarily by myself and it is considered "mine"...though i will share :)
Cari has used it a couple times for some fun escape/mind-puzzler games)
I purchased the iPad after much research because i wanted to get back into music and art creation. The iPad satisfies my need to be creative in these areas and is a nice pastime.

Both kindle PWs are used at "Home" (our 5th wheel) and on the road for reading pleasure/research. We are reading junkies. We would much rather site beside one another reading various books/publications and interact with the occasional; "Hey, check this out..." kind of sharing than veg out on TV (which we don't have by choice) or even a movie. BUT i must admit, there are times after a given day-at-the-shop that we just need to go vegetative and watch a movie!
...I really appreciate the daylight-reading ability of the KPWs, and i bring mine down to the river nearly each day on an adventure and will read while Cari is panning for gold next to me. Somebody's got to be mindful and ready to get the bear spray out, and i'm the designated _sprayer_ ;)

...on the reading junkie issue... we are Amazon Prime members and Amazon Kindlw Unlimited members. Prime because we live a hundred miles from any real shopping centers. Unlimited cuz it is a great deal for readers!

Cheers,
Thom

Ideally id like a slate 3 tablet..which supposedly can do anything a lap can do except maybe run intense pc games. The commercial specifically mentions running a full version of photoshop which is pretty impressive. I think only video editing is more intensive outside of gaming

I used to have a Pandigital Android tablet that Iused for reading and a little web surfing. It was okay but I had difficulty reading in the sun light. I replaced my desktop with an HP 2000 Notebook PC (laptop) that came with Win 8 on it (upgraded to Win 8.1). Now I have a Kindle paperwhite that will let me read in the sunlight BUT not in the dark. All it does is do books and download them from the internet. I get freebie kindle books and have "Kindle for Windows 8" so I can also read on the laptop.

I think you need to figure out what your minimum requirements are, determine how you will be using the electronic device, write it down and research the items that fall within your criteria.

I'm cheap and bought all of these USED from Cowboom.com

Latest posts