anyone can tell me about slab city ?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frenchie

Reaction score
Hello ,

I would like to have more information about "Slab City" ?  I first saw some info about Slab city on this site, and I was curious to heard more, cause I have a dauther (25 y.o) and she still live over my house, and when I accidently talked to her about "living for cheap" in slab city, she hooked on that... so now she want to spend a winter down there with her boy friend. (so now my wife wants to kill me...)
So, does anyone could tell me if this place is consider a dangerous place to spend a winter ??? what's the criminality rate, Does really anybody can go there, park a camper and spend month there ?
My dauther and her boy friend would'nt attract bad people with flashsy stuffs... they don't have too much money, so they would be "low profile" people, but still, if this place attract homeless people, it may be risky for troubles ????

thank you for your inputs.

frenchie

Yeah, you may want to have her steer clear of that place. Lots of drug activity...

She would be better off in Quartzite. More opportunity, and better access to food and water.

Last winter we stopped at the Slabs with some friends because we had really wanted to check the place out. Now we can say we went and saw it, but probably won't be going back.
Although we met some super nice people while we were there, it was tough to get past the feeling that we were trespassing. Most folks seemed to have thier spaces walled in with whatever they could scrounge and the feeling was not terribly inviting. I'm sure the walls and barriers help to keep the prolific amount of garbage from blowing into thier space.
In all fairness we didn't see any public drunkeness or drug activity. In fact it was really quiet except for the bombs and low flying helicoptors.
As with any crowded space that has no services, there was alot of dog poop and roaming dogs (we were warned to keep ours very close or risk an attack on one of them) and also the smell of urine was strong in some areas. Most folks can make quite a bit of urine and if it doesn't get hauled very far to dump there is bound to be some smell after a while.
I would like to think that if somebody spent enough time there and was an outgoing person that they could easily find a peaceful coexistence in that community. I would also like to think that it's not like the negative youtube videos make it out to be. You'd have to be willing to give it a try to find out.

I stayed there a couple times for 2-3 days each time. It's an interesting place but not much to do. And most folks living there didn't seem that friendly to outsiders. I can vandwell in Ocean Beach, San Diego, Venice Beach, or Ventura just as cheaply. Lots more to see and do there and I love the ocean. But everyone has their own idea of paradise.

I spent a month there a couple of years ago and made a few brief stops there since. Slab City has a variety of people. Everything from snowbirds in big Class A RVs down to people sleeping under bushes. There are hippies, artists, musicians, drifters, punks, rednecks, anarchists, survivalists, broke people, people with pensions, people hiding from the law, entrepreneurs, people with jobs, retirees, religious people, atheists, cultists, nudists, prudes, hermits, social gadflies, litterers, neat freaks, dopers, drinkers, clean people, filthy people... You can mix with most of them or ignore them. You can partake in bad habits or not. There are some divides between year-round Slabbers and the seasonal folks. And there's a divide between year-round people who want to organize and keep the place clean (there's a huge trash/junk problem) and somewhat lawful, and other year-round people dedicated to resisting those people. Since some Slab residents believe there is no such thing as property, others have to go to extremes to hold onto their stuff.

That said, I had no problems during my time there. Part of it is about picking the "right" neighborhood.

You're attitude determines your experience. Think it's a good place, it will be. Think it's a bad place, it will be.

It's a big area and you can camp with whatever kind of people you want to camp with.

There is no good shopping nearby so you're going to spend more to live there and of course its California so gas is very expensive. The bottom line is you can live cheaper and better in Ehrenberg, Parker, Lake Havasu or Yuma in Arizona and be near water that isn't deadly.
Bob

thank you all for posting replies, that gives another point of view of slab city. So as per a few posts, there's other places similar to slab city where you can legally and safely stay there for free. I think that's attracted her (my dauther) does places such as Quatsite or [font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Ehrenberg, Parker, Lake Havasu or Yuma in Arizona are also places where you can stay legally for free ?[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]thanks again[/font]

frenchie said:
thank you all for posting replies, that gives another point of view of slab city. So as per a few posts, there's other places similar to slab city where you can legally and safely stay there for free. I think that's attracted her (my dauther) does places such as Quatsite or [font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Ehrenberg, Parker, Lake Havasu or Yuma in Arizona are also places where you can stay legally for free ?[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]thanks again[/font]

https://www.campendium.com/free-camping

All over the place.  Pick a`spot~~~

frenchie said:
Hello ,

I would like to have more information about "Slab City" ?  I first saw some info about Slab city on this site, and I was curious to heard more, cause I have a dauther (25 y.o) and she still live over my house, and when I accidently talked to her about "living for cheap" in slab city, she hooked on that... so now she want to spend a winter down there with her boy friend. (so now my wife wants to kill me...)
So, does anyone could tell me if this place is consider a dangerous place to spend a winter ??? what's the criminality rate, Does really anybody can go there, park a camper and spend month there ?
My dauther and her boy friend would'nt attract bad people with flashsy stuffs... they don't have too much money, so they would be "low profile" people, but still, if this place attract homeless people, it may be risky for troubles ????

thank you for your inputs.

frenchie

frenchie I have been to the slabs many times. I am not afraid to go there and will be going there again  this year. the slabs are like a small town. there are areas not to go in. As you come in follow the signs to the LOWS loners on wheels. there is a club there called the Oasis stop in there nice people and very informative. Go with an open mind.

akrvbob said:
You're attitude determines your experience. Think it's a good place, it will be. Think it's a bad place, it will be.

So, so true.....and not just in regards to Slabs, but to people, places, events and other things in life.

go on youtube and search Slab City. it's like everywhere else there is good, bad, and just plain ugly. just like anywhere else there are drugs but that doesn't mean everybody is on drugs. the place is to dirty and crowded for my tastes. but you can get away from the crowd kind of, and away from the trash, kind of. highdesertranger