Any virtual accountants/bookkeepers?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnvangirl

Reaction score
Are there any mobile accountants on the forum?
I found out the last week of February that the company I’ve been working for since 2004 is closing. I will be here until around the end of March. I would like to start a virtual bookkeeping business that I can work out of my van while traveling and am looking for advice from anyone who is already doing it. I plan to take the State up on their unemployment benefits while I try to get this going. I will also be looking for virtual bookkeeping/accounting jobs online but my real goal is to eventually own my own business doing this.
My questions regarding setup: I have [size=small]a laptop and will figure out the internet needs but if anyone can tell me what they are using that works well I would appreciate it. Also, in your experience is a printer/scanner necessary? Can you recommend any companies that offer these kinds of positions? Has anyone tried the Co-Working spaces?
[/size]
I have been living full time in my van since November 1 2017 so I have some experience in that area.
[size=small]I really appreciate any advice you might have. Thank you!

[/size]

I think you would need to regularly be travelling to the client's office to do at least some of the work with their paper-based systems, yes scanning and printing required but on site.

Then some work can be done off site, but probably not billable per hour.

I think having an initial flat rate per month will get more customers, bid high at first until you gain experience, you can always drop it to be competitive, but very hard to raise it later.

Specialize in a very "hot" high-employment urban area or two to start, especially where rents are crazy.

Invest in a decent graphic identity and website as early as possible, give a free month for referrals that last more than six months, network within industry orgs, chamber of commerce wherever you can. Study marketing guerrilla style like that's a full-time job (it will be).

Do not let any business-related acquaintances know you are van dwelling, always present nice and crisp, certainly sharper than their staff.

Develop your IT level around financials, great side biz for the small customers. You'll need to become proficient in different high-end software if you want bigger customers.

Perhaps try to message Kathy, Boondocker16, as in her interview with Bob regarding Boondockers United she said that her mode of employ is bookkeeper. There's a thread titled Boondockers United in the Off Topic & Chit Chat section to help find her.

I used to work at Intuit, the makers of Quickbooks.  They make an Online bookkeeping product and sponsor a community of virtual bookkeepers that are Quickbooks trained and endorsed.  It's been quite a few years since I worked there, but Quickbooks Online was growing like wildfire and I have to believe that it is still alive.  I knew a good number of folks that worked remotely on client books across the country.  It's all cloud based, and can be accessed from any browser connected to the Internet ... no apps to install.  It was a lot less robust of a product than the desktop version, but for small to medium sized businesses, it was a good fit.  Here's a llnk to their pricing ...

https://quickbooks.intuit.com/pricing/

When I was still aboard, they had payroll, merchant accounts and other products that could attach to the books ....

Anyway ... there you have it.  Check it out if you've a mind to.  Hope this helps! :)

I do MS office type consulting work from my computer. But, it started with the clients I had before retirement. I have a relationship with the people I work with. One project leads to another. I often go hungry, but also times are with too much to do.

Check out  https://www.freelancer.com/ it is an on-line job sourcing website of people looking for remote type work such as you seek.  I think it is free to sign up, and you then bid on jobs that businesses post for the service you provide.  Haven't used it myself but looks like a possibility in your situation.  [url=https://www.freelancer.com/][/url]

NoMadYesHappy said:
Anyway ... there you have it.  Check it out if you've a mind to.  Hope this helps! :)

Thanks for the info. That's exactly what I was thinking about doing. I've used quickbooks before and it is pretty intuitive but I will probably look into getting certified.

Thanks everyone for your very helpful responses. I really really appreciate them and will be looking into and considering all of them.

At the same time, I would throw a resume out to the temp outfits.
Your vehicle allows you unique access if you can city-squat a bit.
Though I cannot out him, a friend works just outside Manhattan every year.
He leaves his dog with his mother in Connecticut and rents a flat in NYC reimbursed through the company.
In 6 to 8 weeks each year, he makes enough to do what he likes for the rest of the time.
If a high-paying gig surfaces, he takes it.
I think he has been doing this for 6 years now.

Good info. I've thought about looking into this as well. I have an accounting/audit background and might be something to fall back on.

Lol - city-squat, that made me laugh. Thanks for sharing your friends story. That's an interesting approach that I hadn't thought of. I will definitely be updating my resume and sending it out as well for temp or part time work in conjunction with trying to start my own business. You never know unless you try right?