Any tips on lighting the Mr. Heater Little Buddy?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone have a picture of their thermo-couple in the pilot flame so he has a reference?

That's a tough picture to take!
Flash or sunlight ..........
How about this.
The thermo-couple tube is inside the flame and the tip glows red.

I know the starter is the thin wire on one side and assume the thermo-couple is what is on the other side of the jet. I started the pilot a tilted it to the right (looking at the screen) and it almost lit. That makes me think something is not alined.

I'll be at the RTR next week and if I can look and someone's I'll be able to see if mine needs adjusting.

Thanks all.

Damian

Damian Rolling said:
I know the starter is the thin wire on one side and assume the thermo-couple is what is on the other side of the jet. I started the pilot a tilted it to the right (looking at the screen) and it almost lit. That makes me think something is not alined.

I'll be at the RTR next week and if I can look and someone's I'll be able to see if mine needs adjusting.

Thanks all.

Damian

I bought the big one 4K-9K-18K heater. I punch it to the max for 1 minute when lighting it (I have 6 filters bought off Ebay for $55, fantastic deal)  Hooked it up and it works great. I had a older one and it got irritating to light after 2.5 years. Had always had a filter, but suspect that it may have gotten bounced a couple times, that the heater tube and sparker got out of alignment. Now with the big unit, it stays pretty much in one place.

A helpful tip for everyone with a buddy heater. We have owned/used one for several years now and noticed a reoccurring issue. Over time, condensation will build up in the lines and the propane will no longer flow at high enough levels to light. We annually disassemble the heater, disconnect the lines, blow them out, and then heat up the lines to drive off any remaining moisture. Reassembling the Mr Buddy Heaters is NOT fun and you must make sure all of your connections are very tight while not kinking any lines. But, if you can tolerate a little frustration and wrench time you can keep the same heater for several years even with a lot of use. Note, if you do this and get a sputtering flame when you run it that means a line is loose.