Any tips on lighting the Mr. Heater Little Buddy?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damian Rolling

Reaction score
Does anyone have tips on lighting the Mr. Heater Little Buddy?

Mine does a good job heating the van, but it’s a pain to light. It always takes several tries (holding the prime button for 30 seconds) before it will finally ignite.

Damian

Damian Rolling said:

Mine does a good job heating the van, but it’s a pain to light. It always takes several tries (holding the prime button for 30 seconds) before it will finally ignite.

Damian

That is a built in safety.  I would not have it any other way.  You will get used to how it operates.

My Big Buddies light off easier than the Buddy Jr. but they eventually light off.  You may need to clean the pilot orifice after some time.

I have to same issue light the pilot and tip the flame onto the thermocouples unless that gets hot the valve will stay closed.

I wonder if there is some variance in their manufacturing process. I've had zero trouble with my Little Buddy. It usually takes 3-4 times of sparking the pilot flame before it lights. Then I can turn it to low or high immediately, no 30 seconds of holding the knob down needed. I love this heater!

Can you guys post links of the exact model you have? Curious is some of you have an older model than others.

Yes they can be a pain to light, until you develop a knack for it.

I was at Lowes the other day and noticed they had filters for these for close to $10 bucks.  So if you are using a
hose and a BBQ grill tank for bulk propane.

I understand that the filter is important.

I also tilt the Buddy so the pilot gets the tip of the thermocouple nearly orange hot.  Then I can switch mine
and it will stay lit.

I cleaned the pilot tube and now it is easier to light.

Mr. Heater has a short YouTube video about it that helped:

My Portable Buddy used to balk at lighting -- until I actually followed their instructions. Now it lights first time, every time. Except at elevations over 7,000 feet, because of the oxygen depletion sensor setting.

Cleaning the Buddy Jr.:

Cleaning the Big Buddy:

I have both these Buddy heaters, rather than the "Little Buddy" round heater.  Both function very well, though the Big Buddy is easier to light off, as you only need one hand, rather than two for the Buddy Jr.

I've been using the buddy heaters for years. A couple of tricks, cover them when not in use. This helps keep dust off the pilot which will make it more difficult to light. Get a can of air to blow off the pilot tube. If you are having to tip the heater to get it to light the screens the pilot tube is out of adjustment.

UPDATE

Now I cannot get this heater to light at all. It took a while, but I was able to start it the day before yesterday. As of last night only the pilot would light, but it goes off as soon as I release the button. I have cleaned the pilot tube twice and changed to a new propane bottle. Altitude is not a factor - I am in southeast California below 1,000 feet.

Last week I ordered a refillable propane tank, hose and filter (after watching Bob’s videos on heaters). I am only waiting on the tank and expect it will arrive tomorrow. I am hoping the heater will work with that setup. Otherwise, I will be looking to sell it at the RTR to someone who has not read this thread (yes, I’m kidding).

Tonight the temp are going to drop below freezing. I have enough blankets and will be alright, but the heater would be nice.

Any suggestions?

Damian

I have a MH9BX lights off very easy. I'm wondering if you just have a unit that's bad? When it's very cold I need to hold the knob down about 15 to 30 seconds before the pilot stays lit.

Have you tried lighting it with a lighter? Press and hold knob and light,

Mike

MikeRuth said:
I have a MH9BX lights off very easy. I'm wondering if you just have a unit that's bad? When it's very cold I need to hold the knob down about 15 to 30 seconds before the pilot stays lit.

Have you tried lighting it with a lighter? Press and hold knob and light,

Mike

Thanks, Mike.  I too am wondering if it is a lemon.  I have tried lighting it with a lighter and sometimes held the button for up to two minutes. Hopefully I'll have luck when I connect it to a tank.

Damian

Damian Rolling said:

Damian

Is the flame contacting the sensor properly?