Any mechanics in the group?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HGs can have an external and internal leak. If it's not overheating then keep the
coolant filled and save your money, and drive locally, until you can have it investigated.
good luck!

"According to both mechanics that did the pressure test there where no leaks. But I am putting coolant in everyday.."

I hope you realize that that statement is impossible. If you are putting coolant in everyday then there is a leak somewhere.

Some leaks only show up when the cooling system is dead cold or hot. By cold I mean sat overnight, by hot I mean normal operating temp.
Did these "mechanics" check both situations.
What was their reply when you told them you were putting coolant in everyday?

Highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
"According to both mechanics that did the pressure test there where no leaks.  But I am putting coolant in everyday.."

I hope you realize that that statement is impossible.  If you are putting coolant in everyday then there is a leak somewhere.

Some leaks only show up when the cooling system is dead cold or hot.  By cold I mean sat overnight,  by hot I mean normal operating temp.
Did these "mechanics"  check both situations.
What was their reply when you told them you were putting coolant in everyday?

Highdesertranger
Ok you make a good point.  This is not something I thought about.  But the mechanics certainly should have...

As long as a pat attention to the coolant level.. it runs fine.... I will need to see about getting a pressure tester and test it myself

Did they check the radiator cap, again a correct sealing proper pressure rated radiator cap is necessary as one not properly working is often the cause of disappearing coolant, also the hose that goes from the radiator to the coolant overflow tank needs to fit tightly so the radiator can suck back in coolant as it cools off keeping the radiator full. Did you look at the spark plugs and was there one or two that the insulator was shinny white or cleaner than the others?

The big auto part stores rent them. Actually at Auto Zone they require a deposit that you get back when you return the tool making it free. I believe the others are the same way.

When you do the test if it's losing pressure make sure the tool itself is not the leak(common on rentals). You can do this with a spray bottle and a dilute dish soap solution just like you would do looking for a gas leak. Squirt the whole tool and hose and cap assembly down.

Make sure to test both hot and cold if at first the results come back negative.

How much coolant do you have to add?

Pay attention to what Bullfrog said. the testers come with a cap tester.

Highdesertranger

Hello,
If it were me I would stop at autozone, walmart, NAPA, etc and pick up a bottle of K-Seal (radiators, Head Gaskets, Block/Head sealer)
Will be under $20 at most places.
Sounds t me (and im no mechanic) like you have a head gasket leaking on the exhaust side. I found this product a couple of years ago, there are multiple youtube vids also.
Its easy to use, no need to pull the thermostat, etc. Just make sure your coolant looks clean and is not rust colored or dark. Simple directions, READ THEM.... For $20 Id rather try it than pay someone just to look at it and tell you its a head gasket and charge who knows what to replace.
Good luck!!

Please under no circumstance use any type of sealer that you pour into the radiator water. That's terrible advice please don't do it.

1. it doesn't fix anything
2. it can do more harm than good
3. In the long run it will cost more to fix
4. you don't even know what the problem is yet.

Highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
Never ever use radiator stop leak.  It doesn't fix anything and causes other problems.

Did I mention to never use stop leak?

Highdesertranger

Can confirm.  Bars Leak is the reason I have a used Grand Caravan now.  I guess I can't complain, I love that minivan.  But the car I put Bars Leak in went out in a spectacular fashion on the bridge across the Columbia.

edit: Actually it wasn't Bars Leak, it was K-Seal. I used Bars Leak in a previous car before my daughter's friend changed out the heater core for me.

highdesertranger said:
Please under no circumstance use any type of sealer that you pour into the radiator water.  That's terrible advice please don't do it.

1.  it doesn't fix anything
2.  it can do more harm than good
3.  In the long run it will cost more to fix
4.  you don't even know what the problem is yet.

Highdesertranger
well, i have used the stop leak from Subaru they call a "conditioner" at the advice of a Subaru dealership mechanic
and was also informed they put in all their head gasket jobs they do. also they sent out a service bulletin saying same.
i ran the car for a year or so and had to add smaller amounts of coolant due to it and was getting ready to have the HG
done when my wife totaled the car. i did the same the same thing on my Vanagon and it prolonged my ability to drive 
which is a good thing when your broke and don't have funds...

Over the years some manufacturers of poorly designed motors that have constant problems keeping the coolant where it should be have in an effort to keep from having to replace or redesign parts till the warranty ran out recommended sealants that do nothing but cause future problems after they are out of warranty. Something to think about when buying a used vehicle. I bought a vehicle that blew a head gasket about 1,000 miles after buying it. Upon disassembly I found it had been coated with JB Weld on both sides. I ended up replacing the motor. Just because something works temporarily isn't a good plan because it often destroys more and therefore costs more than just fixing it correctly in the first place. Seldom is a situation so dire you can afford to destroy a vehicle just to go a few more miles. Sadly many people do eventually costing them much more in the long run.

I think I see the problem, but it is very, very faint from here. But take my advice anyway. What can go wrong? If it is true that two mechanics said no leaks. Drain and replenish the engine coolant at 50/50 mixture. Replace the cap with new,proper size, radiator cap. Examine the plastic overflow/reservoir tank for small leaks. Last, but most important, count your spark-plugs, then add one un-ground coffee bean for each spark plug into the reservoir tank. ie; If you have eight spark plugs, add 8 coffee beans. I have been a mechanic for 75 years. I am third generation in this shop. I know what I am talking about.

Weight said:
I think I see the problem, but it is very, very faint from here. But take my advice anyway. What can go wrong? If it is true that two mechanics said no leaks. Drain and replenish the engine coolant at 50/50 mixture. Replace the cap with new,proper size, radiator cap. Examine the plastic overflow/reservoir tank for small leaks. Last, but most important, count your spark-plugs, then add one un-ground coffee bean for each spark plug into the reservoir tank. ie; If you have eight spark plugs, add 8 coffee beans. I have been a mechanic for 75 years. I am third generation in this shop. I know what I am talking about.
Where do you put the coffee beans?? And what is the purpose of this?

Scott3569 said:
Where do you put the coffee beans?? And what is the purpose of this?
pretty sure this is a joke...and besides, everyone knows you should use ground coffee
as whole beans can clog up the overflow line ;)

highdesertranger said:
Please under no circumstance use any type of sealer that you pour into the radiator water.  That's terrible advice please don't do it.

1.  it doesn't fix anything
2.  it can do more harm than good
3.  In the long run it will cost more to fix
4.  you don't even know what the problem is yet.

Highdesertranger

Just saying.... I used K-Seal on my old Ford Mustang, sealed it up and ran it for 3 years before I sold it. After 3 years there was still no sign of a leaking head gasket. To each their own I guess. If you decide to use it just make sure you follow the instructions and your coolant is clean.

***Update #2***

Although it is not confirmed, I do believe I have an internal head gasket issue..

So I am trying to decide is it better to just buy something else, do the head job, or replace the engine..

With used vehicles at a high price value.. I am thinking getting the head job done asap is probably the best route to go.

Replacing the engine I don't see being a cost effective route.. unless I am able to get one with lower miles on it..

I imagine I could find something for about what I paid for this van.. however I would also be adopting many unknowns..

Thoughts and opinions will certainly help me.. I don't know if I am over looking something..

I will have the money for the head job in about a week

The two mechanics that said you had no leak can not be trusted to replace head gasket. If only replacing gasket without any machine shop treatment of the surfaces, the job will only be temporary. Then the conundrum, a proper rebuilt head will put strain on the rest, such as rings, pistons, and bearings. Save money for a rebuilt crate engine such as Jasper. I still recommend the whole bean coffee. If you use ground coffee it is better to brew and drink in the company of us good old boys. You bring the donuts. The ones with no palm oil.
Oh wait. I just got back from eye surgery and did not notice "not confirmed". Just bring coffee and donuts to any place good old boys are assembled.

Weight brings up a good point. When replacing a head gasket on an aluminum head vehicle it must be done correctly or it's just a waste of time and money. aluminum heads are delicate little things and cutting corners will come back to bite you.

should do a valve job at the same time
If it's a V engine both heads must be done.
the head(s) must be pressure tested for cracks and repaired or replaced as necessary
the head(s) must be surfaced flat
new head bolts must be used if applicable
check for other manufacturers tech bulletins(special gaskets, etc)
when we did these jobs back in the day a complete cooling system rebuild goes with the gasket job(hoses, belts, water pump, radiator, etc)

I am not a big fan of cookie cutter rebuilt engines. They are hit and miss. They use the lowest price components to maximize profits.

Highdesertranger

Start planning ahead for what if's. You know you will for sure be without the vehicle while it is being repaired. Maybe look into a seasonal job with housing nearby while saving money for repairs. Start looking for private vehicles for sale in areas with lots of older folks. Maybe inquire at local churches or aid groups. Getting a similar vehicle you can transfer the parts you already have might be considered as things like tires, alternators, starters, batteries and even axles can make a different vehicle cost much more. Don't assume you have a problem until a good mechanic can show you and explain to you what it is and what it will cost to fix it. If you haven't done a pressure check and a CO check on the cooling system do so and again pull the spark plugs and do the checks before committing to repairs or you my be wasting money or being ripped off. If you are to a point of considering getting rid of or scrapping the vehicle or its engine you can't hurt it by using this as a learning experience. Everything on a vehicle eventually breaks and unless you are well off you will have to fix it or go without. Maybe get a temporary job at the garage and learn something new.