Any mechanics in the group?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott3569

Reaction score
Hey all, I am hoping there is a mechanic in the group that I can talk to.  

Since I have not been here in a while.  

I have an 06 grand caravan 3.8 I am having a coolant issue and possibly and overheating issue..

Thanks

Are you losing coolant, but don't appear to have a leak? When you first start it cold, does it blow white smoke, and if so, does that smoke smell "sweet"?
You might have a headgasket problem.

Well we need more info than that. It's either overheating or it's not. What is the issue? Are you losing coolant? Highdesertranger

How did you determine it was a coolant issue.

Some things that can cause a "cooling problem"......

Pinched or folded radiator hose (or collapsing hose that closes under negative pressure)
Low coolant level
Bad thermostat
Bad water pump (blades spinning on the shaft)
Bad headgasket
Bad cooling fan relay or bad fan
Restricted radiator (especially where someone used Stop Leak in it)
Failed Radiator Cap (won't allow pressure to build up and prevent boil over or loss of coolant)

I have an 06 Caravan and I rebuilt the motor about 3 years ago.
It had 110,000 miles on it when I got it.....the oil had never been changed after the warranty period

Ok so I know it is a coolant issue because my coolant is low.. the floor on my drivers side is wet.. but it we have also had a lot of rain..

The moister on the floor only has a slight musty smell.. does not smell like coolant.. 

My suspicions is also a head gasket problem. Yes I have seen white smoke.. but it is also not constant. I have purchased.

Bars head gasket sealer.  Hoping this will work.  I did this once before with the recommendation of a mechanic. And it actually worked.  But I don't believe it lasted.. 

What er n I look in the engine compartment.. I do not see and white streaks anywhere other than around the neck of the radiator when I over filled it a little..

And yes I know more information is needed.. which is why I want to talk to a mechanic right now I don't have the money for a head job..

If you suspect a head gasket leak, warm the engine up (with the radiator cap off, and keep your face away from it) and look for a constant stream of bubbles coming up in the radiator and or oil mixed in with the coolant. Yes, steam in the exhaust is another tell

Bars might work for a small issue but as you note, it's usually temporary.

You can borrow a combustion leak tester from most auto parts stores, you buy the liquid used to test and it's not expensive. I was up against this about three years ago. I had all the symptoms of a possible blown head gasket but I borrowed the tester and did the chemical test. It was NOT a blown head gasket. It was a couple minor problems causing the symptoms. When you're talking that kind of money, it's best not to guess

floor wet inside the vehicule by driver or passenger could be cause by the heater core having a leak. That happen to me before but leak was on the passenger floor area. And it had a musty smell to it.

When coolant enters a hot combustion chamber it rids it of most of the carbon, by removing the plugs and inspecting them finding a clean white insulator on one or two while the others are brown or black especially adjoining cylinders is a good indication. Letting the engine set over night after pulling the spark plugs and positioning white paper towels in the vicinity of the spark plug holes then cranking it in the morning will show small deposits of coolant on the towels sometimes. Sometimes having someone crank the engine while you watch under the hood you can actually see a fine mist of coolant expelled when the engine first turns over as a small coolant leak tends to deposit on the piston over night.

***update****

I just went and vacuumed my van.. and investigated a little.. my interior is wet on both sides.  More on the passage side.  It is definitely not antifreeze.. but I also don't think it is just rain water.  

I'm thinking maybe my AC is draining into my cab???

I was down on coolant the other day.  So I know I am also losing coolant.  

But my latest theory is these are cfc two separate issues

Most common cause of a wet passenger side floor board is a clogged air conditioner evaporator drain. If the air conditioning works and is being used as water condensates on the cold evaporator. It usually puddles on the ground on the passenger side just after parking a few minutes unless the drain is clogged, then it over runs the catch tray and wets the passenger floor board.

You could also have a bad radiator cap. They are cheap and easy to replace. If the seals go bad they can allow the coolant to boil out either through the cap or the catch bottle by over filling it while hot. They must maintain a set pressure to control the coolant boiling point.

Rent a cooling system tester from A-Zone,etc. Buy a service manual or check YT for how to check for a leak. Join a Caravan forum.

Never ever use radiator stop leak. It doesn't fix anything and causes other problems.

So is it or is it not getting hot?

You can rent a simple cooling system leak detector that pressurizes the system I would start there.

Did I mention to never use stop leak?

Highdesertranger

PS: I meant to say cooling system pressure tester in post #15.

Ok guys, I understand this is a difficult thing to try to give guidance on..

I have had a pressure test done in the past.. actually twice.. I know I am losing coolant someplace.. 

Both pressure tests I had done showed nothing negative  in the results. Which I was told that it must be internal..

Honestly I was hoping that maybe I could talk to a mechanic on the phone.. 

I will seek help another way..

Thank you

If it 'must be internal' then do the suggested checks to find out what it might be.

OK either it fails a pressure test or it doesn't. It doesn't matter if the leak is internal or external. Whoever gave you that advice is wrong.

So did it lose pressure during the pressure test?

Highdesertranger