Any help with getting started

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmcowby

Reaction score
I retired a couple of years ago. I have a pension from the state of ca. I have an RV and diesel pickup. I am healthy and want to keep active. I would like to know all the mistakes that are common before my wife and I make the jump. Like selling our home, saving money, earning money and working part time or online? I worked for the highway maintenance division, retired as a supervisor and grew up on a cattle ranch and hay farm. I have many practical skills and would like to make crafts and sell online.
 I just have a hard time leaving security but need to make a change from this retired life where there is not much expendable income but my bills are paid. Input would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

You just have to get used to not spending money which is hard if you have always worked to get “what you want”. Now you find you don’t have room for it even if you can afford it! Being satisfied with what you need and occupying yourself with what is around you is the secret.

Take your RV and go to Quartzsite, you could go now! 

I spent one Thanksgiving with other vandwellers out there or you could wait and go in December... just do it. You don't have to plan on being gone for a long time, give it a couple of weeks and see what you think.

I parked my RV at a cheap park in Quartzsite for the winter of 12/13. Cheap rent, lot's to see by bicycle in town and around town plus I had water & power. It was good to just see what was going on... I ended up with my first workcamping job that spring thru the Adventureland booth in the big tent RV show.
The next time I boondocked in the desert, enjoyed them both.

Just do it & see what you think..

Welcome Cowboy to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

your story sounds very familiar. like becida said get out and try it no need to make any commitments.

highdesertranger

You will find it easy to spend money on the road if you don’t change your lifestyle. You can run all over the country and spend a fortune on fuel, you can eat out everyday, you can stay at full hookup sites and visit expensive attractions. You can easily spend $150 to $200 a day living that way. So RVing can cost for many that want it to be easy $4,500 or more. Working seasonal jobs that give access to a full hookup site gets rid of most of those costs. If you live simply you can work 6 months and travel 6 months in most cases. Starting up an internet business does have expenses. Many use BLM long term areas as they tend to be in warm areas when seasonal jobs are less plentiful. There are people here that do exactly what you are wanting to do that can better answer what your needs will cost but living simply and cheaply should be your focus. Don’t sell anything and go try it out for a while.

Latest posts