Any decent FLEXIBLE solar panels out there?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrainChaser

Reaction score
I haven't dived into solar power much.  As I've mentioned before, electicity is magic to me.  You know those cartoons with an empty bubble over someone's head?  That's me and electricity.

After looking at a couple of Lloyd Kahn's books from the library, I really like the vardos, the gypsy trailers.  I couldn't do it anytime soon -- maybe never -- but I still really like them -- the ones with this roof:  https://sites.google.com/site/gypsy...e/blacks wagon1small.jpg?height=320&width=239

Are there such things as flexible solar panels that collect a similar amount of energy, with a decent lifespan?  I did a quick search, and the ones that exist are designed for large-scale solar collection (which I'm translating as being expensive).  Are there other ones out there for people like us?

Flexible panels are not yet up to the efficiency of rigid panels, and they might never be. But some totally different technology might come along some day.

Amazon has them. There are a number of drawbacks including cost. The biggest I am aware of is the problem with heat on a direct to surface mount. If they are not mounted durability of connections is a concern. Many early purveyors are no longer in business or no longer sell. Marine focused folks should have more detailed and up to date experience.

I've researched the flexible and many people have experienced peeling or the output eventually dies down nearing the two-year mark. So longevity at this moment appears to be the framed panels.

Flexible panels are available, but they have a few drawbacks...as well as advantages.

You can velcro or glue them to the top of a boat or trailer and they can fit a slight curve. You dont need a set of support frames. They tend to be lighter weight.

But they also have a much shorter lifespan, and if they are subjected to constant flexing, they will fail in just a few years or less.

But a 100 watt flexible panel and a 100 watt rigid panel will have very nearly the same output, at least when new.

I have a 100w flexible panel for portable use, and its fine for that. It is stored in a trailer when not in use.

Okay, that's kind of what I expected... *sigh* I guess wishful thinking doesn't cut it in the real world.

Thanks for the info, guys!

Amazon has Suaoki 100W Flexible solar panels on sale for $144 (with coupon code YS3AIMWV). It has 4/5 star reviews but I have no direct experience with this product.

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on Lensun fiberglass semi-flex panels. More expensive than the aluminum backed panels, but do seem to be more durable - expected to last around twice as long as the aluminum backed panels (10 years vs. 5) though the warranty is two years. Rigid panels are best for value, but some of us need lightweight or semi-flex and these seem like a worthy investment.