Any Chevy Express owners

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

urbanhermit70

Reaction score
To Chey Express owners

Is   the Chevy Express a good van?
Do you have a kitchen setup with fridge?
Do you have solar panel?

Generally yes.
1/2 ton, 3/4 ton+ makes a difference in how much you can carry.
Likewise engine will make difference in getting over mountains, towing ability.
My 1500 conversion van with 5.7l engine had a small RV refrig. Removed refrig as van didn’t have a second/house battery and the refrig was 12V/AC only. Like the engine, had the 5.7 in a previous van. Wish this van was 3/4 ton vs 1/2.

Suggest read rvsueandcrew blog about her use of chevy van

I have a GMC Savana. Basically the same van.

In three years the only thing I've needed to repair was a ball joint that went bad.

I have no fridge--I have no need for one. My "kitchen" is a plastic-molded fish-cleaning sink with an alcohol stove on the counter.

I do have a solar panel on the roof.

There are over 1000 Express-related posts here on CRVL, so there is lots of good info for the taking.  And Bob has made some videos about the Express in general and his Express in particular.

The Express/Savana (along with the Ford E-series) are the most popular cargo vans on the forum.  Much information, huge aftermarket support, lots of places to get service.  Hard to go wrong.

The interior of cargo vans is a blank slate, so you can install (or not install) whatever you like.  For some folks a huge bed is paramount.  Others design around a workdesk, and others around a kitchen/galley.  Thinking about the placement of stuff before building can save a lot of aggravation.

Regarding solar, here is a list of solar configurations being used in this forum and others.  It might give you an idea what is possible, what is common, etc.  The posters' avatars (images) and sigs can reveal info, too.  Here is an introduction to solar.

Is the Chevy Express a good van?
---------
I've had my '15 for just over a year and no problems yet.

Do you have a kitchen setup with fridge?
---------
Yes. Ikea Sunnersta kitchen
https://m.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/art/40313363/ and an Engel fridge. A good setup.

Do you have solar panel?

Yes. 4x 100 watts.

Whitey said:
I've had my '15 for just over a year and no problems yet.

My 3/4-ton, standard length Express is 11 years old (I've had it for five years) with just shy of 250,000 miles. My only problems have been steering components that have taken a beating on unpaved roads and worn out motor mounts. Everything else is fine. The 4.8L engine is still running strong.

Mr Noodly

My 3/4-ton, standard length Express is 11 years old (I've had it for five years) with just shy of 250,000 miles. My only problems have been steering components that have taken a beating on unpaved roads and worn out motor mounts. Everything else is fine. The 4.8L engine is still running strong.

I was on one of those crazy washboard roads last week and could feel the poor van taking a beating.

I like your blog !

on washboard roads slow down until the jarring stops even if you are only going 5 mph. your vehicle and fillings will thank you in the long run. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
on washboard roads slow down until the jarring stops even if you are only going 5 mph.  your vehicle and fillings will thank you in the long run. 

Yes!

Tires aired up around 70-80 psi don't like washboard roads. Not at all.

Yeah,I've got one.Chevy vans have been a little worse on average than Ford vans that I have had.

I have a dometic fridge, 200 watts of solar and somewhat of a kitchen setup camp stove but no sink.
I would say they are good vans. I haven't had mine long but the design has been around a long time.

We have a 3500 extended, with the smaller v8.
200 watts solar on roof, and an Engel 12v/110ac reefer...

Luv the van, not happy that even if I bend over, can't pull up my pants, lol!! I'm 6-2....

We are seriously considering an upgrade to a promaster 3500, only so we can stand up and have more walk about space.

The express van we have would be ideal for one person, but for a couple of big buts like ours, well you get the picture!

2010 Chevy Express 1500 AWD for our Van1 (V2 is a 2017 FWD Promaster).

Luv the AWD, Boulder Off Road Vans lift kit and suspension upgrade > washboard roads with our build no problemo, going at speed is actually a nicer ride than slowing down for us.

Fridge? No. Simple systems includes an ice box. Sub 40 temps for at least a week for our fruits/veggies (we don't eat meat and we don't drink beer so the cooling needs are more basic IMO).

We have a rear bumper mounted chuck box we had Aluminess make for us so we cook outside.

Solar? Nope. Simple systems again, Charge our cell phones on the go through sig lighter chargers when going down the road. 

Van2 is another story : ) It has it's bling on the inside but still simple systems but did incorporate 160 watt panel for charging our electronic goodies. But still went with ice cooler.

: ) Thom

I have a Chevy Express Extended van. I love it! I put 10,250 miles on it this summer. It really was like driving a car. I have a Whynter fridge/freezer with batteries and a Xantrex inverter/converter. I needed to recharge by plugging it in or by running my generator for 3 hours. I put a hightop on it-Fiberine in Long Beach, CA. I would like to add an air conditioner on top- I had a Home Depot vent out the window for the summer when it was hot. It worked well, but it was a pain in the rear, and it only lasted one summer. I would also like to add a roof top carrier for solar. I love my van!