Another Spark Plug debate

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine was running fine too. but there was some sagging when cold.

Now it is running extra fine and no sagging cold.

That chevy uses coil on plug doesn't it? if so, apples and oranges. If your plugs have been in there for 100K, well even if they are iridium plugs, they are well past their prime and you would be able to notice an improvement in power and MPGS on replacement.

My 89 dodge eats spark plug wires. Thats all there is to it.
The Taylors outlasted all other brands by nearly a factor of 5.

SternWake said:
That chevy uses coil on plug doesn't it?

Yup, and fuel injection, so the fuel/air ratio and ignition timing are always spot on, regardless of elevation and weather changes. So my plugs don't suffer from too rich or too lean mixtures.

Any your wires leading to the coil on plugs, do not carry thousands of volts and do not wear out like a cap and distributor wires do. so it is apples and oranges.

But the plugs will wear out even if they always get ideal.

Mine is fuel injected too, but throttle body, not direct or multiport. I've passed 6 california smog tests easily, with numbers 1/2 or less of allowable maximums, and the one test when those Taylors were new, and I had just driven Florida to CA in three days, was nearly stellar results on HC, CO and NO. The guy running the test thought the sniffer was busted and Irritated me greatly by running another vehicle after mine before letting me go.

with all this sparkplug talk i figured i would check mine out

bf3KaKo.jpg

what do you guys think,clean and gap?

old flat head plugs. only one has a push on terminal I like the one on the far right, that thing is old, old what brand is it. highdesertranger

the green and 3rd from right are splitdorf,others champion,the green has a nice hunk taken out of the insulator on the back side

had a brand new NGK snap off at the base of threads when tightening a few weeks ago. Got it out with an extractor bit. I do probably 40-50 plugs a month on bikes so no over-tightening going down. 3/8 ratchet held at the head with a schmear of anti-seize.

MrNoodly said:
I don't know about other people's reasons, but I figure the engineers who designed my vehicles know more about this stuff than I or random people on forums do.

The counterargument is that, since GM owns AC-Delco and Ford owns Autolite, the engineers aren't free to specify whatever brand they want to, their non-engineer bosses tell them what brand they HAVE to use.

do your selves a favor and put copper anti seize on the threads before replacing, especially if leaving in that long. Stern, could you put some kind of heat shielding on the wires?

I was more afraid of leaving the old plugs in much longer because of seizure, but they all came out without much torque applied.

I use the boots from the old wires to insure no wire can touch another wire or anything grounded.  The engine cover can compress the wires and perhaps force them into each other or something grounded.  I take this into account.

The number 2 and 4 wires would appear to have the most airflow/ space around them, but who knows what the air is really doing without wind tunnel testing.

I'm satisfied with 10 years of ignition wire life.  All the other brands i used, belkin, borg warner, accell, and a few others I cannot remember were causing the sagging under slow acceleration in 2.5 years or less, but granted higher mileage.

I should likely replace coil too

Yes, because i know how to work on them now. Parts are easily available. I can keep this thing running well until it rusts in half. And likely will.

Eating spark plug wires is not a deal breaker by any means, and 10 years from 35$ Taylor wires is darn good in my opinion.

Yeah, thats the reason i like chevys, I'm comfortable with them mechanically i think more then any thing else.