Another dumb towing question.....

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fat Ray

Reaction score
Going to be modifying a 7 x 14 cargo trailer (double axle, 2200 lb empty) and need a truck to pull it with.  I want to go with either a 4 x 4 Tacoma or Tundra just because all of my other Toyotas have been bulletproof.  My going in position would be the Tacoma since it's smaller and will get into tighter places but I certainly want the truck choice to be a slam dunk.... I want the truck to be CLEARLY capable of what I'm asking it to do.

What do info do I need to gather in order for you guys to give me some advice as to which truck I should choose?  My guess is that you need the GVWR for the trailer as well as both trucks and estimated weights of EVERYTHING going into each. Anything else?  Now if any of you have an opinion  right off the bat, like a Tacoma is certainly too small or ??? let me know

make sure whatever one you pick you have plenty of GVWR left over don't push it close to the limit. also don't expect to keep you MPG my buddy's Tundra got the same 7mpg as my 78 1 ton when he towed. highdesertranger

Go with a Cummins, tows around 15 to 18 mpg and drives everywhere around 26 mpg plus might be last truck you need in a lifetime.

On a 2200# empty trailer, you will be adding walls/insulation, flooring, cabinets, bed, a fridge, water tanks, sink, and all supporting supplies. Don't forget solar, batteries, controllers, along with tools, and food. This all comes to about +/- 1000#. For argument sake, let's call it #3500.

The 4 cylinder Tacoma 4WD is already at it's limit, while the longer wheelbase TRD V6 with the tow package should handle this trailer easily with a 6400# tow rating.

People will give you all sorts of advice on this subject; it’s kinda like “what’s the best oil”, etc etc.

Here’s my simple answer: buy the biggest Toyota pickup you can, with the biggest engine. If you don’t, someday you will need it and regret you didn’t.

2800 pounds on an empty dual axle trailer; throw in another 1000 pounds for the buildout, fluids, generator- you’re looking pretty close to 4000 pounds. When spec’ing vehicles for myself I never minimize capacity. I know that means additional purchase cost and lower fuel economy. But, on the other hand, after 55 years of towing I’ve never once had a problem.

Just my opinion, but I hope it helps . . .

My Tacoma with a V6 really struggled pulling a loaded enclosed trailer in a headwind.  In a case like this the bigger the better.

If you decide to go with a Tacoma look for one with the factory tow package. It has an upgraded suspension, transmission cooler, engine oil cooler, 130 amp alternator and heavy duty battery. I have been driving one for about 4 years now and love it. I plan to tow with mine but not quite as big a trailer. I want to be more nimble.

I would probably look for a Tundra though to be honest.

The front of the trailer will be the area to be concerned with if you travel at highway speeds. Air resistance makes a huge difference above speeds of 50 miles per hour going uphill especially if there is a head wind. My Tacoma had difficulties where my wife's Sequoia did not, both got between 13 to 15 miles per gallon towing an 8' x 6' flat front box trailer that weighed less than 2,000 lbs. so I would get the highest rated towing Toyota and realize 4x4 trucks usually have a lower capacity and a 2 wheel drive with limited slip does a pretty good job in most cases if you don't try to get stuck on a regular basis.

Latest posts