Anderso Power Pole Connector Tool (Crimper)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Almost There

Reaction score
Who has one and are they coming to the RTR!!

Pretty please, I don't want to have to order a $40 tool to do 3 sets of connectors.

I have a couple of hand crimpers and a 16 ton for the larger jobs. Does Anderson require a certain tool?

Unless you are crimping 45 amp powerpoles, a regular dimple crimper will work.

The 15's and 30s are easy peasy. The 45's fight a bit more as they have tangs which must be bent evenly and inward over the stranding.

I still do not have the specific crimper tool and have done dozens of 45's with regular crimpers, but have has a few earlier ones fail too. I now crimp then add some solder, but too much solder then requires the dremel to get them to fit in the housings. Do not get any solder on the U shaped portion where the contacts mate.

Thanks ever so much Sternwake!!

We have good crimping tools here and can now do the job when all the parts arrive.

Of course Anderson says that you need their special tool to do the job, doesn't say that it only applied to the 45 amp so you've just saved us a bunch of aggravation!

Well the anderson tool will do the 15's and 30's too, and likely better than a standard dimple crimper.

It is just the 45's are kind of finicky and I would not recommend someone not very experienced with crimping try it without their special tool. I would consider myslef ecxperienced with crimping and I can still F them up, and would not really trust the 8awg I stuff into them unless I also got some solder in there.

Really as much time as i have spent massaging 8AWg into the 45's, i would have been better off buying their special tool.

But I would likely still add a bit of solder just to cover the strand ends and prevent corrosion.

I've got the tool, and will most likely be at the RTR. I'm in Lake Havasu now, and will wonder south eventually. The 45 amp connectors are for 10 AWG or 12 AWG, they are not designed for 8 AWG. The 30 amp ones are for up to 12 AWG. I forget the sizes for the 15 amp ones. Go by the wire size you are using, not the actual current you expect. Crimping anderson connectors is much easier with the proper tool.

I've been using this Klein tool for my powerpole connectors for years and it works great on the 15 and 30 amp:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006M6Y5M/

You can find it at any big box hardware store. It's always at the top of my toolbox for use as a wire or ziptie cutter and for crimping any small connector.

I've actually done 45s with it as well. Just fold down the open ends and crimp them down into the wire. I'm sure it isn't ideal but it will do in a pinch. Lay some solder down on top of it all and it's unlikely to come out.

8 awg does need to be destranded to fit in the 45's. also the wire insulation needs to be trimmed a bit as it will not slide into the plastic housing. I do not recommend 8awg in 45 amp powerpoles..

Smaller wires sizes can be used but the wire should be folded over a certain number of times. I have used 45 amp contacts with 18 awg wire as i do not buy 30 or 15 amp versions.

As always the correct tool for the job is highly recommended.

I use the crimpers reducto linked as well as another set whose dies are wider, but the 45s are easy to screw up and it wmight not be immediately obvious. It takes some heat cycling to make it obvious.

Dont forget to fuse properly when using powerpoles to replace ciggy plugs and receptacles.

I have a set if those crimpers, and will be trying that.  We will be using the 30 A fittings. 

The wires are a 12 or 10.

That klein crimper is the one I have, best dern crimper I ever used

Just FYI you should be able to find someone with an Anderson power pole crimper in any ham radio club. Look up a meeting and talk to the officers. Someone knows someone who has a crimper they can help you with. This is where it pays to have a ham radio license and a cheap radio to talk on the repeaters. You would have that fixed by the literal dozens of old retired ham radio operators in half an hour. Just sing out on the air.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a good thing I didn't rush out and buy one!

The Amazon order for the connectors was incorrectly shipped. We ordered 30 amp, got 15s. There was no way in hell that 10 gauge wire was going to fit in them, which is why the 30s were ordered. And it took 5 days for shipping on Amazon Prime... :dodgy:

Oh, and the wall mount brackets I needed to mount the base end on the wall...those things were the cheesiest little pieces of aluminum I have ever seen! If that's all that's available, I'm going to have to come up with something myself with a little help from my friends!

AND, I was showing John all the assorted crimpers I had somehow acquired. The ratchet style one that I found totally useless for regular crimps looks remarkably like the Anderson Pole Connector Crimper.

When I get to the RTR and someone much more knowledgeable than me can look at it, we may already have the tool in stock.

Almost There said:
Oh, and the wall mount brackets I needed to mount the base end on the wall...those things were the cheesiest little pieces of aluminum I have ever seen! If that's all that's available, I'm going to have to come up with something myself with a little help from my friends!

Take a look at what's available from Powerwerx.  They specialize in high end powerpole stuff for the ham radio crowd.

https://powerwerx.com/panel-mounts

Almost There said:
The Amazon order for the connectors was incorrectly shipped. We ordered 30 amp, got 15s. There was no way in hell that 10 gauge wire was going to fit in them, which is why the 30s were ordered.

12 AWG is the largest wire for the 30 amp version, for 10 AWG you need the 45.

There are nylon wall mounts available. I've only seen them online, so I can't say how good they are.

Per navy technician process a crimp is the best connecting method to make. And leave at the crimp only.

Do people still do a solder splash on top of the crimp? Or do most folks just keep to crimp only?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Powerwerx is great, I've been buying from them for about 18 years.