And the winner is!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pen Wize

Reaction score
Ok, I have made an offer on this one and it was accepted, $10,500 for this

[font=arial, sans-serif]http://raleigh.craigslist.org/rvs/6119773234.html[/font]

Monday it goes to the mechanic. It had not soft spots or odors, a/c worked great. It has solar and LED lights in it already. The guy who owns it clearly loves it and was upfront with me on things. He had turned down a couple of people, one who low balled him and another couple who could not drive, went way to fast and did not listen when he told them to slow down, took a turn too fast and went off the road. (all was ok, they did not roll over or anything). 

Anyway, the one thing is he has never used the propane for anything the fridge (electric or propane) the heater, or stove. They cooked outside. So, what to do? Who do I have look over that? An RV tech? 

Feedback, please! 
Thank you

Chanah

Did you check the blue book on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pen Wize said:
Anyway, the one thing is he has never used the propane for anything the fridge (electric or propane) the heater, or stove. They cooked outside. So, what to do? Who do I have look over that? An RV tech? 

Feedback, please! 
Thank you

Chanah

Yes, a mechanic to check the automotive running gear, and an rv tech to check all of household, plumbing, propane, etc.

To find an rv tech, try checking with local campgrounds, they usually know who the good ones are.

Congratulations! Fleetwood was making a solid unit.

if your going to an RV tech, have him do a pressure test, or ask him what he thinks about doing one. what a pressure test is where they seal things up then put a good sized fan in the door way and then turn it on and go over the exterior with soapy water and look for unusual bubbling. its the only sure way that I've ever heard of to make sure you have no leaks. (this is kind of a rough explanation)

Cammalu said:
Did you check the blue book on it

Yes, I did [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial][size=x-small] 
Suggested 
List Price

Low 
Retail

Average 
Retail

Base Price
$74,151
$45,550
$54,900
Mileage: 92,000 (-15%)
-$6,832
-$8,235
Options: (change)

13,500 BTU Central/Ducted
$600
$720
Furnace (10,000-12,000 BTU)
$120
$145
Microwave/Hood Combo
$375
$450
Water Heater 10 Gallon Gas/Elec.
$195
$235
Auto Generator Start System
$825
$1,000
Hydraulic Leveling System (Automatic)
$2,325
$2,800
Awning 15' - 16' (Each)
$525
$630
Ceiling Fan
$110
$130
Manual Solar Screens
$665
$800
Rear Vision Camera/Monitor
$940
$1,135
Skylight
$180
$215
Window Awning 6' (Each)
$170
$210
TOTAL PRICE:
$74,151
$45,748
$55,135

[/font][/size]

From what I read you've already committed unless you had a qualifier for inspections.

It does appear well cared for.  Allow $1,000-2,000 for repairs, even though it was stored covered the caulking needs to be checked carefully (roof).  Due to age, any rubber lines could be suspect.  Fluid changes, belts and hoses?  Battery condition?  Those old built in AC to D.C. Converters are notorious for being poor dc chargers, read up on that and consider replacing with a 3 stage unit.

Most of the time you don't consider options when that old but two things stand out, hydraulic levelers (check operation) and the gennie redo (again check operation).  If correctly described by the seller, those are worth it!

I missed any reference to tire DOT age dates.  If 7 years or more, regardless of tread, you should replace all 6 ($1,200 ish).

Enjoy your rig!

On NADA, "Suggested List" is what it sold for brand new, well, the manufacturer's suggested retail price. Then they list "low retail" and "average retail", and you want to fall about "average retail" plus maybe a little either way depending on the condition, at least this is how we work it. We don't pay much attention to the options on older units of which most of ours have been. If it has something outstandingly good, new, etc., that can be worth something to add.

The other thing the rv tech needs to check is the roof.  You said you found no sign of water damage, which means the roof hasn't failed YET, but all rvs need the roof replaced sooner or later, and a rig like this may be right on the verge.

This world isn said:
From what I read you've already committed unless you had a qualifier for inspections.

It does appear well cared for.  Allow $1,000-2,000 for repairs, even though it was stored covered the caulking needs to be checked carefully (roof).  Due to age, any rubber lines could be suspect.  Fluid changes, belts and hoses?  Battery condition?  Those old built in AC to D.C. Converters are notorious for being poor dc chargers, read up on that and consider replacing with a 3 stage unit.

Most of the time you don't consider options when that old but two things stand out, hydraulic levelers (check operation) and the gennie redo (again check operation).  If correctly described by the seller, those are worth it!

I missed any reference to tire DOT age dates.  If 7 years or more, regardless of tread, you should replace all 6 ($1,200 ish).

Enjoy your rig!

The purchase is contingent on it passing the mechanic inspection and it must pass inspection too. Tires are 3 or 4 years old.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
The other thing the rv tech needs to check is the roof.  You said you found no sign of water damage, which means the roof hasn't failed YET, but all rvs need the roof replaced sooner or later, and a rig like this may be right on the verge.

Yes, he said the roof should be done this fall. When they are campgrounds he jacks it up a bit on one side so that water from the a/c will run off and not pool anywhere on the roof and he reinforced that area.

PenWize, that looks like a very nice rig. I have a 93 Chevy Dutchmen class A and I love it. A 92 model can be very dependable and also a lot of fun to update, if you are mechanically inclined. Best of luck with your new to you rig. Jeff

That is a clean rig, hope it all checks out!