An interesting future fuel

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mangyhyena

Reaction score
<a href="http://www.geek.com/articles/geek-cetera/8-grams-of-thorium-could-replace-gasoline-in-cars-20110812/" target="_blank">http://www.geek.com/articles/geek-cetera/8-grams-of-thorium-could-replace-gasoline-in-cars-20110812/</a><div><br></div><div>The info at this link proposes a possible use of thorium as a fuel source to replace coal and oil. &nbsp;At the least, this looks like something that needs to be researched.</div><div><br></div><div>We have 440 tons of thorium in the US waiting to be mined. &nbsp;8 grams would be enough to power a vehicle for the entire life of the engine. &nbsp;That is a crap-ton of miles per gram.</div><div><br></div><div>So, with options like this, do we or don't we have an energy crisis? &nbsp;Is the crisis self-imposed or is there really no viable option to replace coal and oil as our primary energy sources?</div><div><br></div><div>The more people that are aware of our options, the better, I think. &nbsp;Maybe One day we-the-people will finally demand the kind of change we need, rather than paying the energy companies to pollute our planet.</div><div><br></div><div>Too futuristic? &nbsp;Too good to be true? &nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>What say you all?</div>

A known carcinogen as a fuel supply. First read discussion on it in early '10. The car will still need an electrical power source for the emitter (may not be correct term) that stimulates (again, may not be the technically correct term) the fuel source. I wonder what made the topic pop up again?

Too good to be true?

Yes., in my opinion. Just like the old 'water as a cheap form of fuel' dodge that made a brief appearance. The power requirements to effect the necessary chemical change outweighed the return in energy.

Cool article, thanks for posting it. &nbsp;I have never heard of this before! &nbsp;It seems really promising. &nbsp;I hope Steve can create that mini-turbine to make this a workable alternate energy solution. &nbsp;Any alternate source of energy won't be without it's issues, but it's better than doing nothing about global warming and losing lives over oil, IMO. &nbsp;<div><br></div><div>
<span style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; text-align: left; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); ">The more people that are aware of our options, the better, I think.</span>&nbsp;
</div><div><br></div><div>Agreed!</div>

I did a bit more research on it. &nbsp;Seems it would work best as fuel in a nuclear facility to produce electricity, rather than in a vehicle. &nbsp;Thorium can not be used to manufacture nuclear weapons, does not take as long as uranium to break down after it is used up, and can, pound for pound, produce more energy than uranium.<div><br></div><div>To run vehicles, perhaps electric cars charged with this cheaper electricity. Or, if the electricity is inexpensive enough, to produce hydrogen for vehicle fuel.</div><div><br></div><div>In any case, thorium is not being used to power much of anything right now, despite its promising potential.</div>