Amps

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  I have 375 amp hours of battery capacity, 45 watts of solar on the roof, and a 1500/2000 watt generator. I fire up the generator to run the microwave or the coffee maker. My laptop is a acer netbook which only draws .8 to 1 amp. My lights are 12 volt 5 watt cfl type (.4 amp). My tv draws .6 amp, my roof vent draws 1.5 amps.  During the winter months when the sun is off angle from my flat mounted solar panels I typically yield about 10 amp hours on a good winter day. In the summer I often make 25-30 amp hours per day. I use my power sparingly in the winter and during a cloudy stretch I'll run the generator and charger every couple of days to top up the batteries. In the summer I only run the generator for the microwave. One thing to consider when cooking in the microwave is that if you run it from a modified sine wave inverter it will take up to twice as long to cook something, as opposed to just firing the generator up. ( I have tried both as i have a 1500/3000 inverter). However the coffee maker likes the inverter just fine and makes coffee just as fast as generator or shore power. I plan to add more and bigger solar panels, but what I have has worked for over a year.

Wheelsoffreedom, sounds like you have a perfect plan for your electrical needs, a diversity of power sources and conservation of power. <br><br>JBandhilda, 300ah sounds good. A pair of Trojan T105s is 225 ah or storage so two pair would be 450, which would be very good. Trojan recommends a charge rate of no more than 10% for its batteries. So if you have 450ah of batteries, your maximum charge rate is 45 amps. So if your batteries are at 50%, it will take at least 5 hours to charge them to full. But, you will only want to use a smart, 3 stage charger, so it won't charge at 45 ah the whole time. As the battery fills, the charger will reduce the charge rate. To bring the battery to 100% will probably take at least 8 hours. That leaves you with a problem of where are you going to be able to run your generator for that long in the city. I found it difficult to run a generator in a city for long periods of time. Very unstealthy! Your best bet is to find the industrial/commercial part of town where equipment running is pretty normal Bob <br><br>

Looking at the prices of batteries (and I have spent HOURS) I think I will wait on them. I really appreciate all the great info from everyone. I remember my grandfather in the '60's traveling all over the U.S., Mexico and up to Alaska (Ford pick-up with camper)&nbsp;with no microwave, tv, computer, cell phone, electric fridge or extra batteries.&nbsp;My brother and I&nbsp;made one trip from TX to CA with him, and I don't remember feeling deprived. Propane and buying ice once or twice a day.&nbsp;In the 1970's, even I made several trips from CA to TX and back in August, with&nbsp;NO air-conditioning! (Don't want to do THAT again!)&nbsp;Anyone remember when I-40 was unfinished and drivers were forced to drive down main street of all the small towns? Kids today don't appreciate what they have! HA! My Dad said the same of me. Oh well, my point is I know how to do it without all, just some, of the modern conveniences. I'll get the Yamaha and a&nbsp;two burner propane stove. (backpacking&nbsp;or hobo-stove for backup.) I will try to save up for a top notch combo of solar, generator and batteries. Thanks again!<br>jb&nbsp;<br>