Ammo Box Wood Stove

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Headache

Reaction score
Not to get your hopes up(yet!) but I'll be starting on my ammo box wood stove this month.  Right now I'm gathering parts which I'll provide a list for when I know what I'm using.  In the mean time I didn't want to keep this source for small diameter stove pipe all to myself so if you are also considering a wood stove using 3" pipe, here's an inexpensive resource:

http://clancysoutdoors.com/products-page/fish-house-deer-stand-stoves-accessories/

Please keep in mind that what I am building I am considering a one season use only/high maintenance item.  I do not know how long it will last(especially using cheap stove pipe), how much heat it will put out or how much wood I'll need and while I'm not putting a lot of money into it I am keeping safety in mind.  It's high maintenance because I'm assuming I'll have to clean out the stove pipe about once a week.  If it survives a season of use and kept us warm I met my goals with it.  If it's still useful after a season then I consider that extra credit.

I really want to build this one or similar to it but without the rocket part:

I haven't been able to figure out how he has the secondary air intake configured inside of there.  If he gets enough requests(14 more!) he'll make a build video on an improved version of it.

what is that stove pipe made out of? they don't say. it looks like galvanized flue pipe. if it is DANGER do not use. only use black stove pipe, stainless or if you have a ton of money copper. do not use galvanized flue pipe. highdesertranger

The pipe is galvanized. I believe it's an issue if you don't burn it off properly, which I'll have to do anyway to burn the paint off the ammo can. Like I said, this is a temporary set up because I don't have the money to buy better. It's going to be burned off a few times before it goes inside.

This thread is about my ammo can build so please don't post about other wood stoves, there are other threads for that but when I actually have the money to buy better I am looking at that one.

it's really hard to burn the galvanize off of stove pipe. the first couple of feet burns off no problem but the rest is really hard to burn off. I speak from experience. highdesertranger

Yep, that's why I'll be connecting each section to the top of the stove to burn them. Everything is going to be burned off quite well. Since I'm not putting the stove in an airtight space(meaning there will always be a window cracked plus the rear doors don't seal) I'm confident I won't have issues.

I worked with a local fabricator to design and build my own for winter camping trips in negative temperatures:

Yes that was a galvanized stove pipe.  Maybe I sucked in some bad stuff, but i burned it for hours on end before getting close to it.  *shrugs*

Anyway, my observations from this size ammo can stove in negative temps:

- Burned for a few hours, but had to get up and reload in the middle of the night ~twice per night.  PIA.
-Difficult to regulate the burn to burn slow and mellow.  PIA.
- It was very warm for my large tent.
- I was more worried about suffocating inside my tent than anything else.  My stove definitely wasn't air tight enough to make me feel comfortable.

GL with your build!

Lucky you on having access to a fabricator and thanks for posting that!  I don't have a fabricator so it's going to be cutting wheels, metal drill bits and a bunch of high temp cement.  I'm using a fat .50 can.  The neighbor is going to help me as he has the tools and cutting skills.  I'm the engineer, gluer and assembler.  Thanks so much for taking apart the inside as now I can see how to make a secondary burn in mine.

We just don't have a lot of choice for small diameter stove pipe and what little there is it's expensive!  That's why I'm doing this until I can afford the other stove and the stove pipe to go with it.  The stove pipe comes in 2 foot sections so I should be able to burn them off okay.  This stove has cost me less than $100 so I'm not expecting a Lopi quality burn out of it.  Just some morning/evening warmth and heating water for tea.  

If I hadn't been using a non-airtight wood stove the last 3 years and wouldn't have learned the special nuances required to burning one safely I wouldn't be as confident as I am in using this. I had hired a chimney sweep to come out and inspect things when I first moved here, turned out he's a Seattle firefighter and does this for extra money so I got a really good education on using non-airtight stoves.  Plus a good CO detector never hurt anyone.   :)

I have to laugh at myself on this one. You got me. :D

While I do have ammo cans... they have ammo in them...but when I first read the subject line, i immediately thought of the long flat WOODEN ammo box the military used in the days of old. LOL I was wondering how you would get that to be a stove and not have it burn up (other than with heavy duty foil lol)

My bad. :D

Rather than continuing and maintaining this thread as I do updates on the build I started I'm going to do most of my posting on my board. I'm running very short of time and have to ration my time online. I'm down to about an hour a day at this point if I log in at all.

Most of the build description and pics will be posted here:

http://mebelikemeare.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=dvfhi5klblkh374ijptrg3qpv4&topic=15.msg40#new

and updates when I've posted new information will be in my Captains Log thread located here:

https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-Me-Be-Like-Me-Are

Thanks for reading!

Made this one a few years ago then sold it. I fab these up and play with them and then sell them...

Attachments

• IMG_0197.JPG
    IMG_0197.JPG
    251.1 KB · Views: 31
Malibu surfer said:
Made this one a few years ago then sold it. I fab these up and play with them and then sell them...

that is awesome! we are in the process of trying to add an ammo box to ours since i do not want to do gas

Hey Malibu Surfer, I want to see more pictures of your stove.  There's all kinds of things that could be don with one of those.  Thanks for the picture and idea.

Latest posts