America's Quietest Roads

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Strange info on Rt.50 through Utah. "This entire 3,000 mile route is dubbed America’s Loneliest Road” but only 335 miles are in UT and most of it is actually I-70.

Rt.50, which runs from Ocean City,MD to Sacramento, isn't as busy as the interstates in the east but it's not exactly what you would call lonely. The section west of Ely, NV is the most remote section and is called the Loneliest Road.

In 2001 I set out to drive most of the route and departed from Arlington,VA but didn't make it to Sacramento because my car broke down in Montrose,CO. The aspens were at peak color, so it at least it was a pretty place to break down at.

Last edited:
Try setting your GPS to avoid highways and dirt roads and also use the shortest route. The route that it chooses may be twisting and turning through all kinds of little towns and on narrow roads but you'll go places you never would have on your own. Just remember that GPS can lead you into places where you really shouldn't be attempting to go so reset it if you find that happening. It's a good idea to check the route on Google satellite view or on a paper map for any problems before setting out.

Try setting your GPS to avoid highways and dirt roads and also use the shortest route. The route that it chooses may be twisting and turning through all kinds of little towns and on narrow roads but you'll go places you never would have on your own. Just remember that GPS can lead you into places where you really shouldn't be attempting to go so reset it if you find that happening. It's a good idea to check the route on Google satellite view or on a paper map for any problems before setting out.
I will certainly have to have a good one before trying this for sure. My phone app isn't very helpful when I am trying to avoid the highway. My mom has a giant old paper map book of the whole US and maybe more. I will be sure to keep that!!

I will certainly have to have a good one before trying this for sure. My phone app isn't very helpful when I am trying to avoid the highway. My mom has a giant old paper map book of the whole US and maybe more. I will be sure to keep that!!
I learned about that feature on Google Maps a couple years ago. Look for the 3 little dots next to the Start location. Eg. Set a route in Google Maps by choosing a start location and a destination. Next to the start location will be three little dots. Click on it and choose Map Options. Select "Avoid Highways"

I think I will get a rand McNally map. GPS is reliable for highways, but in a city or a town it takes you on a jig saw type of route that’s frustrating at best. When I was going to my cousins house I saw part of Little Rock I never want to see again.

The one time I was really glad that I had GPS was after I took an impromptu detour off a rural highway onto one of those very well maintained Maine logging roads ... which led to another ... and they kind of all look alike once you get back up in there ... and on a good day I have about as much directional sense as a turnip. You don't have to get far off track to be lost!

I learned about that feature on Google Maps a couple years ago. Look for the 3 little dots next to the Start location. Eg. Set a route in Google Maps by choosing a start location and a destination. Next to the start location will be three little dots. Click on it and choose Map Options. Select "Avoid Highways"
I will check it out! Thanks