America in crisis? Vandweller prepping

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
tx2sturgis said:
...so I still have no idea what will happen next week, or next year.
What we do know is, the pandemic is getting worse every day in this country, with no end in sight. Most people who get the virus have minor issues, but 1 person in 7 either dies (death rate is 1 in 35) or has serious health problems that will last for months, if not indefinitely. So that's one thing that's 100% predictable for the next 6 months or 1 year, unless some sort of miracle occurs.

dixonge said:
, one day the preppers may be proven right! :/
In my neck of the woods.. (idaho panhandle/eastern wa) what many folks would call "prepper" is our normal.

Folks that live in rural areas are always going to be considered  preppers by the majority of people. I think most folks don't have much more than half a fridge full of usable food supplies the rest being leftover take out foods and tab cola.

People use the word "prepper" as a derisive. A family of four in a rural situation would be negligent if they did not have enough stocks to endure a natural event such a snowstorm that knocks out power or makes travel unsafe. We NEED a freezer with a side of beef and 2 hogs and 24 chickens in it. Thats not being a paranoid prepper.. that IS LIFE.

I normally ONLY go to the grocery store once or twice a month and only to top off certain items. I buy my meats from the local butcher from locally sourced cattle and hog.. a 100 pound bulk box is 3 bux a pound and if I could eat a whole side of beef I would purchase that for 2 bux a pound once the year. This has been the difficult part of going van style cause I only have a small area to carry food and it is a bit of a concern.. there is no way do I plan to go to the grocers every other week let alone once the week.

Its all about the lens that we have.. your prepper is my normal avg family. A prepper out in these parts is the guy stockpiling  ammo and arms..not sides of beef.

How long do you think most folks in urban and suburban areas last if shtf....2 weeks max.

slow2day said:
Scientific info isn't needed at all. Just open your eyes and acknowledge that an infectious disease is killing 100's of thousands of people worldwide.

For some people I guess it requires the "Jaws" (the movie) proof.

That is, they will wait until it comes up and bites them in the ass before they will believe it's out there and very dangerous.
It is unfortunate that is typical of the unseen. " I will believe it when I see it"  is a very natural part of deduction. Definitely one of the most basic defense mechanisms humans are born with. 

If the corona schmorona worked like small pox and presented a frightful image people would be far more likely to take precautions.

A doctor can use all his sciencey tools and terms to tell a person they are eating too much (insert favorite food) and it is harming them..but until it is actually seen it is rarely heeded.. thats why they put graphic images of cigarette damage on tobacco products.

When are the willfully ignorant no longer carried by the rest of the herd.?? Is there a species on the planet that does this besides humans? Does one water buffalo warn or try to prevent an other from getting to close to the crocs?

America has failed to educate and bring everyone into the 21st century in it’s blind quest for individualism so has ended up with uneducated superstitious individuals walking amongst the herd looking for someone to relate to, something to believe in. Unfortunately they have found them, NASA we have a problem.No empire lives forever, it was bound to happen sooner or later, sorry you are all caught up in it. Good luck, this is not going away in two weeks or two months so unless you have a productive plot your screwed. China might be a good alternative for you if you can speak the language and own a boat.I saw this coming so I am prepared. The reason I bought my Kurbmaster,was, I read someone had turned one upside down to make a dock so that is my plan I bought an outboard, Johnson 15 hp, sealed my doors and plan on turning my van upside down, That contraption under my barn doors is the adjustable motor mount. I also have a long bar Welded under the van that can be hinged up and my awning attached to make a sail when I run out of gas.I plan on being close to the pacific on Nov 4.

flying kurbmaster said:
China might be a good alternative for you if you can speak the language and own a boat.
Bachelors in Azn studies with a focus on  china and a minor in mandarin... I also saw the signs.
I also had planned on a sailboat as well this past spring/summer but corona schmorona made it hard to go shopping and get functional...heeding signs.

I am thankful that just in case... I am about 5 hours away from the north pacific coast and everett washignton.. home of the largest public marina on the west coast usa.

WOUld be great to tip my van over and paddle away. Would love to see some pictures of your rig!

Vanlife is a poor substitute for sailing life but alas here I am for another couple years.

Looking to trade my 91 van for your 73 westsail.

flying kurbmaster said:
Good luck, this is not going away in two weeks or two months so unless you have a productive plot your screwed.

Ditto for the millions in Europe. Since they have no uneducated citizens delusioned by dreams of maintaining individualism what do you suppose their problem is?

I removed some of the comments that caused highdesertranger to close this thread. Disagreeing with someone is okay but bickering and name calling will result in deleted posts or closed threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts