America in crisis? Vandweller prepping

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vgilbert

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
As we get close to election 2020 I am concerned about potential chaos in America and the ability of van dwellers to prepare. So many of us have 
limited space and income that stocking long term supplies is not very practical. Also, I think of the safety of those who live in the city.

With 14 days to the election here are some thoughts I have:

I would get out of the city, any city before election day if at all possible. Maybe try to find other nomads who are boondocking close by.

Stock up as best you can on food, water, and other essential supplies.

Ad some extras if possible to barter with. We all saw what happened to toilet paper during the first weeks of COVID.

Keep some cash on hand. The amt is personal preference, I personally hardly ever have cash but I will have some on hand.

Gas/fuel !!! I will be filling my gas tank on Nov 2nd. I also have a pump/hose to get gas from my vehicle tank to my generator.

Camp/parking spots. I am scouting for several spots in case I have to move more often. Boondocking spots for sure.

Medications. May be a good idea to get any medication prescriptions filled early if possible and stock up on over the counter meds you may use often. With my back round as a Paramedic I have stocked up on basic first aid supplies.

All of these things above will get used at some point, nothing would be wasted.

Please post thoughts!!!

Good luck
God Bless

I just finished posting to your other thread. As we learned in Boys Scouts: Be Prepared. Perfect time to sharpen our skills, and think ahead a bit. RVers already have most of what it takes to be self-sufficient off the grid.

Seems like people feel that way most every year when big elections come along.

Hope the lines at the gas station and grocery stores are not too long on election day. But they are unlikely to be as bad as the lines last spring to get toilet paper. ... or maybe that too will be stockpiled on election day?

maki2 said:
Seems like people feel that way most every year when big elections come along.

Hope the lines at the gas station and grocery stores are not too long on election day. But they are unlikely to be as bad as the lines last spring to get toilet paper. ... or maybe that too will be stockpiled on election day?

My tihought is dont worry so much, you will drive yourself crazy with worry.

Being prepared is about one thing .... being prepared. Those of us who have literally spent "years" of our life in the back country and lived to tell about it. understand what that means.

When you live as remote as we do there are always a month or two worth of supplies on hand. With a lake full of water and fish within walking distance food and water no problem. We have always had to generate our own power, but I have a 7k backup. Plenty of fuel as well. Just have to lock the gate and plant the land mines! Lol!!! If there is a problem let me know in a year or so. Lol!!! The government is so well armed any group could be eliminated, isolated or incarcerated within a short time. There is probably weaponry already programmed to do so quickly and efficiently and a file prioritized ready to go. So stop worrying and getting upset over things you are unable to change. Let the government do it’s job. Nothing to see here, just go out in the woods and have fun after you let your opinion be known if you want by voting.

bullfrog said:
 With a lake full of water and fish within walking distance food and water no problem. We have always had to generate our own power, but I have a 7k backup. Plenty of fuel as well.  Just have to lock the gate and plant the land mines! 
Wow, if only I were so well equipped. Not to mention everybody else. Where can I buy land mines? I'll feel much better with a secure perimeter.

Didn’t you know all those survivalists have stashed all their goodies in remote places, thank you very much! Silly people! Lol!!! Year before last rangers found a whole bunch most of which was stolen but managed to arrest two driving out at night in an old Toyota truck. It was late and we only had enough rangers to guard the prisoners while inventories were made at the site so they locked the truck in fire house. Next morning they looked in the back of the truck which was full to the top with dynamite and blasting caps! Rangers in remote locations with little back up are very well equipped.

bullfrog said:
When you live as remote as we do there are always a month or two worth of supplies on hand. With a lake full of water and fish within walking distance food and water no problem. 

In a true SHTF scenario, you can't always count on the water in a lake or the fish in that water. 

There are a lot of toxins and poisons that could be accidentally spilled, or purposely poured, into the water. 

Probably wont happen in a very remote location, as you say, but you never know about water sources closer to population centers.

You'll notice I was advocating "Being Prepared" like the Boy Scouts said, which is good advice any day of the week, and not quite the same as being a SHTF Survivalist, although I can see why some people might feel that way right now. And I don't blame them either. The life you save might be your own.

Even heading out on a day hike, you should have the 10 essentials. I've always carried a small survival kit in my day pack, just in case, not due to paranoia. And I have a much more extensive survival kit that lives in my van permanently. Although a 1/3-timer, I've always carried a month's worth of canned and dry food in the van, and right now I would carry more.

True but we are very resourceful here and during times like these where food deliveries stop or come sporadically it just seems normal. We still know where Native Americans bored sticks into the water table seams to allow water to run down into clay pots that were gathered daily. Our well water is filtered through miles of sand before it gets to our water plant where it is treated and even then my Berkey is used. The river water survived years worth of uranium tailings along it’s banks and pollution from minor rivers. It would take a major industrial effort to poison every little side stream that runs into the Colorado River, possible not probable. The Henry mountains are less than 20 miles with trout in the lakes, a large herd of free roaming buffalo and deer not to mention the thousands of migrating ducks. The Morman population left hundreds of fruit trees which surprisingly still produce. I’ve got several jars of canned fruit setting around. My neighbor has a greenhouse and garden that is really an amazing producer. I have a hard time keeping my weight off, it might make me healthier if it does happen! Two roads in and both are 50 miles at least with little or no water unless you know where to look. Nearest gasoline outside Bullfrog is further. We have our own Zombies on the San Juan River branch of Lake Powell. They are just accepted as part of the neighborhood. Welcome to the real Wild West but yes we are somewhat civilized with ice and big houseboats available. You will have to keep your liver while getting here through all those survivalists. Lol!!!

It's not only possible election related unrest people need to prepare for.

Some 'experts' are warning that we should stock up on essentials because the coming 'twindemic' will hit hard in the near future.

I think we always need to be prepared for about anything. Look at us in Minnesota, we’re getting buried in snow in October. And up north where I’m at it looks like it is here to stay! I let my plow truck die a well deserved death. I was going to be gone by the time is got this bad. Meanwhile my body is giving me a bugger of a time. I laid in enough pain to keep me up til 3’ish, woke up at 6. Gotta get to work at our community center. Without my warm truck to plow I get to use the snowblower. Those hand warmers on the blower don’t come close to the warm truck I’m used to.
Looks like the great tribulation is coming soon, of which you can’t really prepare for except hope your right with God and you are taken from it all in the rapture.
That said... as far as toxins in the water the only water filter that actually purifies I believe is the First Need. But who knows what toxins will be tossed at us and how long such a filter can last.
(My reference to God is my personal belief. I respect everyone’s beliefs and choices.)

bullfrog said:
 It would take a major industrial effort to poison every little side stream that runs into the Colorado River, possible not probable. 

Airborne toxins, poisons, insecticides, pesticides, etc, dropped from air transports at 40,000 feet, nuclear fallout, terrorism, sick people bathing, dead bodies in the lakes and streams, ash from the blasts, who knows. 

You never know what can or could happen.

Sure I do. My job for seven years was the nuclear part. I got used to living in a bunker keeping track of what the world situation was, who needed attention, how many days food and water were on hand, fuel for the generator, air in the silo and whether or not the other 3 crew members could still be trusted. Lol!!! No wonder I like remote living!

One year ago no one in the USA knew we would be hit by a virus and end up with a shortage of toilet paper....and my crystal ball is still on the fritz...so I still have no idea what will happen next week, or next year.

Day by day is all most can do if even that. One thing for sure is there are good and bad things that happen but as long as someone cares to try to help others overcome their problems it is worth getting up each day. Be prepared as best you can in all ways for the bad but hope and work to make the best for everyone.

vgilbert said:
Hello Everyone,
As we get close to election 2020 I am concerned about potential chaos in America and the ability of van dwellers to prepare. So many of us have 
limited space and income that stocking long term supplies is not very practical. Also, I think of the safety of those who live in the city.

With 14 days to the election here are some thoughts I have:

I would get out of the city, any city before election day if at all possible. Maybe try to find other nomads who are boondocking close by.

Stock up as best you can on food, water, and other essential supplies.

Ad some extras if possible to barter with. We all saw what happened to toilet paper during the first weeks of COVID.

Keep some cash on hand. The amt is personal preference, I personally hardly ever have cash but I will have some on hand.

Gas/fuel !!! I will be filling my gas tank on Nov 2nd. I also have a pump/hose to get gas from my vehicle tank to my generator.

Camp/parking spots. I am scouting for several spots in case I have to move more often. Boondocking spots for sure.

Medications. May be a good idea to get any medication prescriptions filled early if possible and stock up on over the counter meds you may use often. With my back round as a Paramedic I have stocked up on basic first aid supplies.

All of these things above will get used at some point, nothing would be wasted.

Please post thoughts!!!

Good luck
God Bless

Well - that's interesting and all, but we won't be doing any of that. General prep is fine, but general low-level paranoia never helped anyone. But hey, one day the preppers may be proven right! :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts