Amber Alert No SIM

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firtree

Reaction score
Just got an Amber Alert on an extra iPhone (5SE) that does Not have a SIM installed or service, WiFi not turned on. It’s that terrible noise that makes you think there is a nuclear attack from the North Koreans. 

Initially thought something old that popped up from the phone memory but did an internet search and yes there is a current Amber alert in Spokane, WA. That was the alert. 

Have Amber Alerts turned off on phone currently using so it did not scream. 
Just pass this on as something interesting

Cell phones with no sim can still be used to call 911 and in your case receive Emergency alerts.

MikeRuth said:
Cell phones with no sim can still be used to call 911 and in your case receive Emergency alerts.

Knew about the 911 but didn't realize about the incoming Emergency Alerts on a SIM-less phone. 

Aside - Have cellular phones, tablets setup to receive local texts and emails about local road, weather and emergency alters. 
Have also registered with 2 counties to receive Emergency robo calls on both cellular phone and landline. Received some of those emergency robocalls this last winter during local bad snow storms and power outages.

there is also something called "location based broadcasting" where any capable phone will go off if within range of the signal source. it might have been something like that. i received a tornado warning a couple years back when i had no signal from my carrier. kind shocked me at first...

hope the amber alert resolves well...