Alternative to parking lots

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it'd be safer than couch surfing. Least, with your own wheels, you can lock yourself inside and you have the keys. That site looks cool in the fact that people are willing to let you park on their land. People that couch surf at a total strangers home and sleep under their roof seem a little too trusting, to me.

Theadyn said:
I think it'd be safer than couch surfing. Least, with your own wheels, you can lock yourself inside and you have the keys. That site looks cool in the fact that people are willing to let you park on their land. People that couch surf at a total strangers home and sleep under their roof seem a little too trusting, to me.

Wonder if you could ask about couch surfing in the parking lot? Blend the efforts together a little. Always surprised when interesting ideas are just so locked into the exact pattern of what is expected. If you are will to allow a couch surfer, then how about allowing parking in the lot, and certain hours for access to the bathroom and kitchen.

Paranoia is letting fear rule your life.  I fear the things I should and mitigate them as best I can.  I fear rattle snakes and remove them to safer areas, but I neither kill them if possible, nor let them keep me from enjoying boondocking.  

Corky

One Awesome Inch said:
My exwife was so fearful. This might happen, I better do this to make sure this other thing doesnt happen.

As per Bob, my stance is "F" it. If something happens you deal with it and move on. There is no sense in letting fear hold you prisoner. Now I am not saying dont be aware of what's happening around you, but being afraid is a waste of energy.

I think people who live in vans tend to be more on one side of the spectrum than the other.

"Spectrum" was a good choice of words.  I do see this as a continuum.  Sort of like this:

Debilitating Fear, Phobias <->Reasonable Fear, Cautious - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Fearless<-> Stupid - - - - - - - - Spectacularly Stupid, Potential Darwin Award Winner

Obviously, we all have different life experiences that shape where we fit on the Reasonable Fear - Fearless spectrum.  Some of us have been exposed to some negative experiences that tend to make us more cautious than people who haven't had those experiences.  And let's note that every Darwin Award Winner probably described him/her self as "Bold" and "Fearless", not as "Spectacularly Stupid" or "Too Dumb To Live".

I'm not suggesting you allow your fears to become debilitating.  I stand by my statement that the first rule of personal safety is "Don't be Stupid!"

Regards
John

corky52 said:
Paranoia is letting fear rule your life.

When I was working as an armored car guard, many of my partners were either retired cops or still-working cops moonlighting part time.  They were the ones who first exposed me to the concept of "healthy paranoia"  - as in, "It ain't paranoia if there really are people out to get you."

An optimistic paranoid is someone who allows that every stranger around him MIGHT be up to something, but doesn't worry about it because he's confident that he can deal with it if it becomes necessary.

An optimistic paranoid ALWAYS sits with his back to the wall.  You tend to live longer that way.

Regards
John

Funny this should come up now. I've been pondering that stupid question doctors all ask women now, "Do you feel safe at home?" First of all, I think it's sexist and patronizing. Put up information about shelters and domestic violence so everyone sees them and can see the info and assume women are smart enough to decide if it's information they can use. Also, I've been asked that question with my partner present, as have several other women I know. And the point of that would be?

So I started thinking about "safe at home." Given that most terrible things, including accidents and murder, that happen to people happens at home and most violent crimes, including murder, are committed by someone the victim knows, statistically speaking, if you feel safe at home, you are an idiot. You are statistically much safer in a stranger's driveway than at home. (Of course, we all know what Mark Twain said about statistics.)

There is some truth in the suggestion that one's career might have a lot to do with not trusting strangers [this is not fear, IMHO]. My SIL, a former Alaska State Trooper, owns a polygraph business and deals with perps on a daily basis. I think it has somewhat tainted his view of mankind. I have also observed this in other LEOs I have known. You can't blame them---they see the worst of the worst.

And, yes, the news/entertainment [they are one and the same] industry thrives on scaring people. They'd like nothing better than for everyone to stay home and watch TV.

I would personally put myself in the too trusting, not enough fear to be sensible category... but that has also worked out for me this long lol ;)  I think I may join both this and couchsurfing for driveway potential.  I do feel pretty safe being locked in my van... If trouble arises I can just honk the horn to draw neighbors' attention.

I tend to think of people as I do dogs- in that you can usually spot right off if they are dangerous.  Most are fine.  Possibly naive but like I say, I've gotten this far...  :p

Fear depends out the quiet voice of Intuition. If you are Always scared, afraid, anxious, how do you recognize when Intuition legitimately tells you "get out of Dodge"?

Depends was meant to be drowns, drowns out the intuition.

Www.Warmshowers.org can be used if you have a bicycle. Ask the host if you can just park and stay in your vehicle to use the host as a base camp to explore the area with your bicycle.

Also www.couchsurfing.com as a bookmark. Maybe get your profile registered with www.AIRBNB.com as they do check identification and keep a history on you.

If you can make friends and be social then you end up with lots of low cost possibilities.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
They're making it clear that they make NO effort whatsoever to screen or verify the people who post, so Hannibal Lector could easily place adds there to lure you to an out of the way place so he could dine on your liver. 

If this scares you, then definitely don't tryout  www.couchsurfing.com

I think there is very good reason to be careful. News stories about people answering a Craigslist add and then being either robbed, or abducted or killed. The police are now advertising safe areas to do Craigslist business. Why is that necessary if crimes are seldom? The number of missing people. In coyote country you often see signs on neighborhood posts for missing small animals. They are not "missing". Ask the coyotes where they are. The number of unsolved murders. TV likes you to think the bad guy always gets caught, most don't, not for a long time if ever. The ones that do get caught sometimes have already killed a dozen strangers.

People who travel are often considered by criminals to be good targets. How soon will anyone report you missing, will anyone know where you really were when you disappeared, retired travelers are probably too old to put up a big fight, bet you have traveling money, etc.

This has been the biggest reason I never bought a trailer for camping, (one day I may, but I haven't yet). I like the idea of being able to get to the drivers seat quick. If I buy a trailer, my bed will probably still be in the tow vehicle.

jl75 said:
https://www.boondockerswelcome.com/

Has anyone tried this site?  Think it'd be worth 25 a year?

Yes, good site, friendly people, the thing about this is only members can request parking, and members have accounts with their information and ratings visable to other members, not just letting anyone stay on property, but easily tracked and identified if necessary.

pktbox said:
Yes, good site, friendly people, the thing about this is only members can request parking, and members have accounts with their information and ratings visable to other members, not just letting anyone stay on property, but easily tracked and identified if necessary.

So this is similar to AIRBNB which is kind of nice. Am going to reach out to that web site and ask if they have TENT ONLY boondocking as a possibility.

Boondockers does not have a contact for tent only persons. You need to have a self contained commercial classic RV. No do it yourself systems or vans.

They recommended couchsurfers.com if you want alternatives.

I also emailed warmshowers.com and they did mention. Not having issue with bicycle car campers, but check with the host to see their opinion.

No do it yourself systems or vans.

I didn't see those exclusions when I joined their club a couple of days ago. It wouldn't bother me a bit if someone in a van showed up to stay on my land for a day or two. I signed up mostly to be a host and aid travelers.
I just went to their web site and looked under terms of use, found nothing.

On their site they do say "if you have parking for an additional car, consider offering boondocking for those with a small RV - a Class B or truck camper". A space for an additional car, and a small rv, could be most anything with wheels.

offroad said:
You need to have a self contained commercial classic RV.  No do it yourself systems or vans.

I've been all over their site and the only reference I can see is that you are expected to have a self contained unit.

Can you point me to where it says no DIY or vans please?

Glad this came up before I joined!!

I believe the issue of what type of vehicle is acceptable to the boondockers club would be something that is strictly between an individual host and guest. The way I understand the way it works is you contact the host where you would like to stay through the boondocker web site, (kind of like a mail forwarding service or the way Craigslist does it). The host can then review the guest's profile and respond. Once an agreement is made the host then gives the guest an address and contact info. If the host says they don't mind having a tee pee in their yard, I don't see any way that the boondocker web site could veto the arrangement. As long as everybody is happy, everybody is happy.
I don't think that anybody has the authority to say what is acceptable to me as a host. That would be a decision that I make. So it may or may not be easy to find people who take in tents, or vans, but I don't think it impossible either. We are not talking long term stays here. On my profile page I chose to limit the stay of a guest to 3 nights. If I decide I like the person(s) I may say a week is OK. Maybe more.

Not interested in joining but if anyone comes by Omaha Ar.You are welcome at our place.With a little planning I can always find a free place to park.

Latest posts