Alternative to parking lots

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
highdesertranger said:
wow Bob never seen that word in the forum before.  I agree 100% with your post.  I couldn't have said it better myself.  highdesertranger

Reminds me of a George Carlin piece where he uses the work "****" as just about every form of speech possible and ends up closing his act with "**** the fucking fuckers..."

Funny when George Carlin did it, but here not so much...

Oops.  May not have been Carlin, although he was fond of that word.

Here's the link to the above referenced item:

Almost There said:
I've been all over their site and the only reference I can see is that you are expected to have a self contained unit.

Can you point me to where it says no DIY or vans please?

Glad this came up before I joined!!

Specifically asked if I had a vehicle with a self contained bucket system. The answer was no. When you register they can check the model of RV. If it's not listed as an RV they might ask for clarification. And they would refund your money if you are not eligible for membership; because you do not have a self contained RV. Of course you could embellish-exaggerate-bluff and then negotiate with a host. But once you reveal to a host you have a van with buckets, you might get a bad review. So why waste time with that.

offroad said:
Specifically asked if I had a vehicle with a self contained bucket system. The answer was no. When you register they can check the model of RV. If it's not listed as an RV they might ask for clarification. And they would refund your money if you are not eligible for membership; because you do not have a self contained RV. Of course you could embellish-exaggerate-bluff and then negotiate with a host. But once you reveal to a host you have a van with buckets, you might get a bad review. So why waste time with that.

Ahh, it was the bucket thing that turned them off!

Not a problem for me since I just ordered my C-Head. Probably more hosts interested in it than turned off by it!

GotSmart said:
http://www.c-head.com/Stock.html

Looks lok a bucket with a shield and a seat.

Way more than a bucket with a seat!

It's a separating toilet. Liquid goes in one section which is easy to dispose of, solid go in a separate section with either peatmoss or sawdust as a containment material. It can then either be disposed of or put in a humanure composting bin.

The c-head is a much less expensive alternative to this unit - http://www.natureshead.net/

and instead of using a proprietary liquid collection unit, it uses standard 1 gallon water/milk jugs.

I don't see what difference there would be between a composting toilet, a porta potti, or a plastic bag in a bucket, as long as they are not taking care of business in my yard. The nose of the host should not be in the vehicle. The web site indicates the only thing the host is really required to provide is a parking space on land owned or controlled by the host.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
When I was working as an armored car guard, many of my partners were either retired cops or still-working cops moonlighting part time.  They were the ones who first exposed me to the concept of "healthy paranoia"  - as in, "It ain't paranoia if there really are people out to get you."

An optimistic paranoid is someone who allows that every stranger around him MIGHT be up to something, but doesn't worry about it because he's confident that he can deal with it if it becomes necessary.

An optimistic paranoid ALWAYS sits with his back to the wall.  You tend to live longer that way.

Regards
John

Your comment reminds me of what a seasoned veteran told me when I was young in my career. to wit: "be courteous, be professional, and be prepared to kill anyone you meet." I am thoroughly enjoying retirement now.

Latest posts