Allergic to mold and scared of leaks... what RV should I get?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chilove88

Reaction score
Hi all, I had to leave my home due to mold illness and am considering living in a RV full time for awhile. I'm wonder if any types or makes/models are better than other for avoiding leaks and mold issues? I've heard great things about Casitas but they are a bit small for me. I'm thinking I'd like something a bit bigger. 

Thanks! 

Audrey

Hello, I do not know your budget, but I think an Oliver trailer might be your best bet. It is double shell. Less chance for water leaks into the cabin. Also the inside does not have rat fur, (i.e. solid fiberglass) so if there is any mold which I doubt would happen due to the double shell, you should be able to see it.

Maybe one of the larger Scamp trailers. They are also molded fiberglass and their largest is 19ft.

Any of those fiberglass "egg" (Scamp, Casita, Oliver) trailers are great due to their construction. Class B usually doesn't leak. Class C's are the worst (I've had them) and class A's are not good either. Conventional travel trailers and 5th wheels can be bad too. Do a google search or watch UTube videos about rv leaks.

You will pay premium dollars for an Oliver trailer...

Oh, I'd think Avion and Airstream travel trailers would be ok.

They don't have to have a leak in order to grow black mold. Moisture from cooking and showers is enough to start the process. Molded fiberglass trailers can still leak through any opening if maintenance is not done, the windows, the ceiling vents, doors, air conditioning, leaks from toilet, sink, shower, etc. Carpeting can easily develop black mold from moisture in the air. Casitas do get black mold, check related forums.

One does best in a dry climate. In a humid climate, there is a constant battle of checking and treating the mold. I don't remember ever seeing black mold in the olden days. I suspect the new materials feed the black mold issue. Black mold will even grow on dust, so dust needs to be cleaned frequently, not my favorite thing.

There are ways to deal with the moisture for better results. There are some different ways to do this.

If you purchase a used unit, check carefully for leaks. I would have an RV shop/technician check as they know where to look even if the previous owner has attempted to disguise the problem.

Audrey, what's your budget. Are you looking at new or used? That's going to make a big difference on what's recommended. Do you have other allergies to chemicals? If so, many RVs are NOT good choices because of the formaldehyde and other noxious chemicals that outgas from the construction materials... and sometimes, depending on the materials, they'll outgas for YEARS.

Are you specifically looking at travel trailers, or would motorhomes work for you as well? You do have options in every price range... but if you're looking at used, there are some things that you'll need to know about which brands of RVs are less prone to leak (they'll ALL leak if not properly maintained) and what build materials are less likely to harbor molds.

Thanks everyone!

I am looking at used specifically so that most of the chemicals will have off gassed.

I am open to motorhomes as well as trailers.

My budget is up to $35,000

I'll be traveling between the desert areas of East Southern California and the Texas Hill Country area outside of San Antonio spending most of the time in So Cal probabaly.

Snow Gypsy said:
They don't have to have a leak in order to grow black mold.  Moisture from cooking and showers is enough to start the process.  Molded fiberglass trailers can still leak through any opening if maintenance is not done, the windows, the ceiling vents, doors, air conditioning, leaks from toilet, sink, shower, etc.  Carpeting can easily develop black mold from moisture in the air.  Casitas do get black mold, check related forums.

One does best in a dry climate.  In a humid climate, there is a constant battle of checking and treating the mold.  I don't remember ever seeing black mold in the olden days.  I suspect the new materials feed the black mold issue.  Black mold will even grow on dust, so dust needs to be cleaned frequently, not my favorite thing.

There are ways to deal with the moisture for better results.  There are some different ways to do this.

If you purchase a used unit, check carefully for leaks.  I would have an RV shop/technician check as they know where to look even if the previous owner has attempted to disguise the problem.

I wondered about this reply as I have had 2 travel trailers, a truck camper and a class C and the only one that had mold was the class C.  So I just googled "Casita forum mold".

Low and behold a poster there wrote this (not that I think it is common but it shows it can happen):

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f55/moldy-smell-in-my-casita-72823.html

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Moldy smell in my casita[/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Hi folks. I've had my casita at an RV park since May. We didn't use it much but I wanted it to have a/c in the summer so it didn't get moldy. It only had a little bit of mold odor in one cabinet near the hot water heater but otherwise was good.

A month ago my partner went to the park to semi -winterize for two cold nights coming up that week. Basically drained and blew air through the lines and turned the heat on low. Did not drain water heater. He closed the fantastic fan vent which he should not have since I have a maxx air top and always want it ajar for air flow. He left the sewer cap off btw.

I've slept in it the last two nights in prep for taking to a county park for a month. I smell mold and it is causing me symptoms because I am extremely hypersensitive to any mold at all. It seems to me to be all in the area of the hot water heater and those cabinets under the bed. I have to take the bed off to really get in there but nothing seems overtly wet. Where could this yucky mold be coming from (it doesn't smell like a bad anode but I will check that).

The other issue is I had turned the fridge on low and the ice that had formed in the freezer melted and I am pretty sure somehow leaked into the area under the sink. I had a faucet leak there this summer that wet the carpet and I dried it out and had the plumber in. But the carpet was wet so I dried most of it with a space heater but if I press my finger in the crack between the carpet and wheel well I can still feel dampness in one area so I need to dry it out. This would have been there for at least a month. The area under the sink doesn't smell moldy but slightly off maybe more bacterial.

The upshot is my little camper isn't smelling fresh to me right now. Because I am so sensitive, something negligible to others is a big deal to me. (earlier in the summer I had a dried out p trap that made it smell and I fixed that with a hepvo valve mod and also added a ceramic toilet. The plumber said I was lucky to change the toilet when I did since a bolt was loose and it would have leaked sooner or later).

I need advice on sourcing the mold odor that is most bothering me around the water heater; and should I do anything more than dry out under sink a little more? Could any crap grow under the carpet? Should I cut out a piece?

I am really frustrated at the moment since I had so thoroughly cleaned the camper this summer. I steam cleaned everything and washed everything down.

I also realize my pillow area of the bed is right over the area you are supposed to store your stinky slinky and tools in...not sure I want to do that! I noticed when I was down looking under the sink.

Thanks from a newbie ( still a newbie)[/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]End of quote[/font]
[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]************************************************[/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]I bolded the owner goofs. While anyone can make mistakes, I guess these are things to not do...  [/font]

Another issue with Casitas is the odor that lingers, some people cannot tolerate it. I was considering one and was told to get an older one for less chemical smell. If one looks at the way they are made, they use a LOT of glues to hold the carpet up/down and fiberglass has its own interesting odor.

Camplite might be something to look at. They can seem "institutional" compared to some, but look like they would be easy to clean up. They have been on the market long enough to have used ones available: https://www.livinlite.com/products/camplite-travel-trailers/

Minimizing inside moisture will be necessary despite the unit. Understanding "delamination" is VERY important because that generally spells mold and rot.

I have been a member of fiberglassrv group for almost 10 years, "don't leak" sounded good, too good to be true and we all know about "too good to be true" and where that goes. I often defend stick built since they get a bad and unfair rep there. After 9 RVs of different types, surely we would have the perfect one and we don't!

If you are plugged into shore power, get a dehumidifier. Honestly, buying a van and making it just as you need it, easy to keep clean and easy to maintain is a good idea. I know that isn't what you want to do though.

Someone else here at the forum had mentioned these and if you could set one up for yourself the way you would like it, it would be extremely easy to keep clean and keep ahead of any mold that might start, bleach stops it in tracks if wiped away.
http://www.runaboutcampers.com/ They are cargo trailerish.