All that maintenance stuff you need to know

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Manuals can be hit or miss. They certainly are not the word of god when it comes to a vehicle. All in all I can def agree on the "verify info" suggestion.

Gideon33w said:
If forced to make a generalization I would quantify the qualify the average vandweller as an independent spirit, driving a used van, learning most of what they need to know as they go.

Thanks for this whole thread, I'm looking for a van and I took notes! This is good info even for the mechanically inept like me.

highdesertranger said:
great summary.  a couple of points,

the aftermarket manuals are ok for some things and seriously lacking in others.  nothing beats a factory service manual.

I just found a service manual on ebay in pdf format... for my 2001 F150.   I've done the same thing for years, when I get a new/old vehicle, I buy the service manual , if at all possible. 

Gideon33w, thanks for all of this info... Many of us might know these points, but it is really nice to find them in one place. 

Pat

I worry more for those who have never even changed their own oil. Too often, I see a vandweller on here get into a situation where they don't have any easy way to get to or pay for a mechanic.

As for manuals, you can also find factory service manuals online if you poke around but often times they have been updated and you don't realize the one you have doesn't actually contain the correct info. It's a catch 22 but better than nothing for sure.

Gideon33w said:
I worry more for those who have never even changed their own oil. Too often, I see a vandweller on here get into a situation where they don't have any easy way to get to or pay for a mechanic.

As for manuals, you can also find factory service manuals online if you poke around but often times they have been updated and you don't realize the one you have doesn't actually contain the correct info. It's a catch 22 but better than nothing for sure.

Thank you Gideon33w for all the great information!

To everything you have said, I would add that swallowing your pride and being realistic and honest about where you are as a knowledgeable vandweller is an essential ingredient of this lifestyle.  I will be the first to say that I haven't been prepared and am going through a major learning experience right now because of that.  That being said, I am willing to swallow my own pride and be transparent here with the hopes that it will save someone else the frustration I have endured recently that, unfortunately is still ongoing. 

I have traveled hundreds of thousands of miles over the years without a breakdown on the road, but that run all came to a screeching halt three weeks ago in central New Mexico on a stretch of old Route 66 that is very desolate and without any cell phone coverage.  I won't get into the details, but this "episode" resulted in family driving across several states to come get me and my van being hauled several states away via a transport. 

It isn't lost to me that I have been very blessed with friends and family that care a great deal for me, but, still, that bothered me to have someone go to such lengths because of me.  Needless to say, this experience gave me a serious wake up call and I am already at work on being prepared on the road.

I also want to add a special shout out to ALL the people on the forum here that offered advise, etc.  You are a great group of folks!!

While I agree that if you reasonably can, you should learn as much as possible about repairing your own vehicle.

However, don't let it stop if you if you can't or won't.

After 46 years of driving with no knowledge of how to repair my vehicles, I have no intention of starting now.

So I take steps to minimize the risk:

1. Buy the newest most reliable vehicle I can.
  2. Be fanatical about preventative maintenance.
  3. Have an emergency fund to get me towed to a shop, repair the vehicle, rent a car and pay for a motel while it's being done.
  4. Have a roadside service plan.
  5. Maintain a zen attitude of calm acceptance to the low and difficult moments in life as well as it's amazing joys.

akrvbob said:
While I agree that if you reasonably can, you should learn as much as possible about repairing your own vehicle.

However, don't let it stop if you if you can't or won't.

After 46 years of driving with no knowledge of how to repair my vehicles, I have no intention of starting now.

So I take steps to minimize the risk:

1. Buy the newest most reliable vehicle I can.
  2. Be fanatical about preventative maintenance.
  3. Have an emergency fund to get me towed to a shop, repair the vehicle, rent a car and pay for a motel while it's being done.
  4. Have a roadside service plan.
  5. Maintain a zen attitude of calm acceptance to the low and difficult moments in life as well as it's amazing joys.

And, I agree Bob.

In my case and in reference to my scenario posted above,  I had my vehicle checked out before I headed out on my trip, bought this particular van over two years ago because it was the newest one I was able to find with the money I had, I did have an emergency fund, and a roadside service plan.  In hindsight, and my point in saying what I did was that I should have been more generally prepared.  As embarrassing as it is to say it, I didn't even know where the fuse box was prior to this trip.  Needless to say, I do now! 

With regard to your point number 5., I totally agree.  As a matter of fact, I just got off a phone call with a friend who I was just telling about my experience and summed it all up by saying that it was all a good thing for me because it made me realize that I should have been better prepared by knowing more about my van.  And because of it, I now know some very critical things about my van that will help me to be more trouble free in the future.

is this essential discussion listed UP in the "sticky" section ?
Easily visible to be reviewed by all...

Yes great stuff here.

For those that do need to pay for tows and mechanics for everything, but live on a relatively low income without much reserve in the bank, here's my "system" for building up a robust "vehicle contingencies" fund.
https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?pid=353330#pid353330
Nothing worst than getting stuck living out of a rig that can't go anywhere.

Except being truly homeless of course 8-(