Alittle help or a lot ......ideas

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tristina

Reaction score
Hey!!! Everybody  I own a 1995 4×4 Toyota Tacoma extra cab she's a four banger ...... With that being said here's where I need ideas I put a shell, built a carpet kit and put a roof rack on her.
It's kinda cramped in said truck bed I'm thinking of getting a tent for the back of it as well so I can change and go to the potty in peace but if anybody has any ideas about how to make more room out a Toyota I would much appreciate it because the tent I'm considering is about $300.00.
PS I don't care for roof tents.
Any suggestions will much appreciated thank y'all ?
Peace ✌

That's a nice truck and flexible, tent is a good idea but I think if you were to get just a tent and not a dedicated truck tent you could do better and find a way to interlock both or not check out HDR's setup Rustic yet comfortable and flexible, he uses various tenting devices but I don't think privacy is on the top of his priorities as with me I am usually much alone and wear as little as comfortable/practical you will find a solution.

thanks wagoneer.  here is a pic from my camp at Q. 

Q 015.JPG

as he said not a lot of privacy.  but I like to be outside not inside. that tarp was big enough to get 8-10 people out of the rain.  a fine time was had by all.  highdesertranger

Attachments

• Q 015.JPG
    Q 015.JPG
    116.5 KB
By far the easiest is to just get a taller shell. http://www.leer.com/122 You could cut a hole in the top and build a raised area. kind of a high top in a van. The other option that I know of gets complicated, Building a lifting device for the shell, then filler pieces to go under the shell. I had a Dodge Dakota with a homemade camper shell. I made the shell as light as I could, (thin wood over foam). The front and rear bulkheads, (walls), went all the way to the floor. I did this so that when raised they would still be within the bed of the truck. The tailgate was then the bottom half of the rear wall. I built filler pieces to go between the shell and top of truck bed for when I got to where I was going. It wasn't a pop top in the normal sense. I made a device to raise the shell, put the side pieces in, and then lowered the shell on to the filler pieces. Had I to do it over again, I wouldn't. Lots of labor designing and building it to work. The hardest part was making a lifting device.

With a 4 banger you want to keep that Toyota as light as possible. If you can get a good one I like the idea of the tents that attach to the back of the truck or an suv . I saw one once that had a zippered door inside the portal that attached to the truck, That way you could close it up and drive to town without having to completely break down camp. Check out this web page https://truckcamperhints.com/ The guy travels full time in a similar rig.

Latest posts