Air Compressor and Electrical

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arizonatruck

Reaction score
Unsure on where to put this.

I plan on working and living out of my 20 foot enclosed trailer. I am a mechanic/technician. One of my tools is an air compressor. I am trying to figure out how to the compressor without needing to run a generator. To do solar would seem to be way to expensive and need way to many solar panels. I figure it would take at least .5 to 1kw in solar and at least a 200 amp hour battery pack just for the compressor.

The only other things I would usually use are battery powered drills/impacts as well as ham and handheld radios and some lighting that only take approximately a total of 150 watts.

Trying not to have to consume as much fuel, although costs for it have gone down. I also don't want to have to keep so much fuel on hand except for my vehicle. Plus, I don't like the fumes or the noise of the generator.

Have you looked at 12v compressors? I'm not sure what tools you need to run, but I have a Puma oilless compressor and I've been rather impressed. I actually use mine for diving, but in a pinch have used it with an impact to remove wheels, to fill tires and to inflate my Zodiac many times.

Obviously it won't keep up with high air flow needs like grinding wheels, but it works for many applications.

Here's the one I have..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PUMA-TWIN-T...H_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41631a5539&vxp=mtr

If you simply MUST run a typical workshop compressor, you will need:

1: A shore power connection
2: A generator
3: A huge battery bank/solar panel system/inverter.

Pick one of those three. Sorry, there is no magic option #4

You didn't say how often you needed the compressor, nor how long it needed to run when you did use it.

Many offroad rigs have Onboard Air Systems. Some are 12volt electric compressors like TravelDerby mentioned. Others are belt driven, engine mounted compressors. They can run air tools like impact guns.

Maybe you could get by with something like that?

Regards
John

right now, it doesn't get used much, but when it does, it's mainly for impacts and tire pressures. I do plan on getting a generator, but was hoping a smaller one would work. The compressor is about 2 kw while running. I don't really know what the surge is. It has a 5 gallon air tank.

here is what I have done. first I tried the 12v compressors. the cheap ones were not worth a nickel. so I got one of those high dollar viair. it was marginal at best plus viair says they must run at 14.2v, so basically you have to have your engine running. so I figured if I have to have my engine running why not try a York(belt driven ac pump). boy o boy what a difference there is no comparison, the York will run anything that you can run off a 2 cylinder single stage compressor. of course you need a tank the bigger the better. here's mine.
006.JPG
007.JPG
008.JPG
highdesertranger

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 13
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 12
I have seen many utility crews with truck mounted gasoline or diesel driven compressors. I do like that engine driven idea.

High pressure nitrogen tank with regulator. Large tank lasts a while as seen in race pit crews all over.

The electric rechargeable tools are really taking over this segment.

ccbreder said:
I have seen many utility crews with truck mounted gasoline or diesel driven compressors. I do like that engine driven idea.

I wonder what one of those gas powered compressors costs, compared to an electric compressor and separate generator? Certainly, the second option will give you a more versatile and flexible set up.

Regards
John

Yes. if you already have a compressor, just add a small generator.

It would need to be a minimum of 2 kw. I would like one of the yamahas or hondas, but kind of pricey. I have never heard the quiet gennys run, so I don't know how quiet they really are. For those engine mounted air compressors, my v10 ford doesn't have enough room underhood for an adequate compressor.

Where would I find a generator for a decent price, besides amazon/ebay, hd, lowes or home depot?

arizonatruck said:
It would need to be a minimum of 2 kw. I would like one of the yamahas or hondas, but kind of pricey. I have never heard the quiet gennys run, so I don't know how quiet they really are. For those engine mounted air compressors, my v10 ford doesn't have enough room underhood for an adequate compressor.

Where would I find a generator for a decent price, besides amazon/ebay, hd, lowes or home depot?

My Honda 1000 came from this supplier:

http://www.wisesales.com/generators-1/honda-generators-1.html

Not sure how they stack up against other suppliers. Strange but the prices have held steady for at least the past decade.

I can tell you that they are darned quiet. I used to use mine in outdoor art show environments and I've had to place them inside my booth space when I didn't have an outside row placement. There were never any complaints from my neighbors and I had no problem talking over the little bit of noise - I did so without having to raise my voice.

The only time it was audible was when it revved up because of an increased load...like when I would turn on the mini microwave, otherwise once it was warmed up it was 'whisper quiet' which is what they were first advertised as.

aztruck sure there is room for an engine driven compressor on your truck. just get rid of that inefficient, unnecessary, totally ungreen, wasteful, ac unit. ha ha can you tell what I think of ac. makes the install a piece of cake. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
aztruck sure there is room for an engine driven compressor on your truck. just get rid of that inefficient, unnecessary, totally ungreen, wasteful, ac unit. ha ha can you tell what I think of ac. makes the install a piece of cake. highdesertranger

The ac actually is a less of a load than any engine driven compressor, plus adds more weight to the front of the engine. I don't have any ac unit besides the one that comes factory on the truck in the engine compartment. Plus, running the 6.7 liter V10 engine for a compressor is much less efficient than running a generator to power the one that i have. The largest genny that i would get is a small fraction of the trucks engine. That's one reason why some big rigs have gone to what is basically a chassis mounted generator and ac unit.

Check your local pawnshops. People sell compressors and generators to them all the time. I once found a very nice diesel genset at a local pawnshop - but I already have two gas gensets for home use.
Also check Craig's List. But before buying, makes sure they run it and load test it first!

LeeRevell said:
Check your local pawnshops. People sell compressors and generators to them all the time. I once found a very nice diesel genset at a local pawnshop - but I already have two gas gensets for home use.
Also check Craig's List. But before buying, makes sure they run it and load test it first!

I sometimes go to pawn shops, but they seem creepy to me. Maybe that's how some people feel about gun stores.

Next chance that I get, I will be looking at different places. I am working this saturday, so after work.

A good pawnshop is no different than any box store or hardware store.  I have bought guns, tools, a PC, a TV and other things there.  Careful shopping can find some good deals.

Latest posts