AFTER THE RTR

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wild bill

Reaction score
after rtr anyone interested in caravaning around im ready to go anywhere,,,,,

M taking a slow, meandering, not even close to being straight shot, often side trip and side tracted wander around socal az nm ut id nv or wash. Take about 6 months.

Wildbill, you'll find there'll be several groups to hook up with and continue traveling.

Last year there were groups that stayed together around AZ, others went to slab city in CA, I went to baja with another group and then hooked up with yet another one headed north through CA and Oregon and Seattle.

I'm confident you'll be able to find what you're looking for.

I will be heading thru CA, NV, UT making my way north as the weather warms up and eventually heading into Canada and to AK by end of July. If anyone else is heading that way let me know.

I will be investigating what Bob Wells recommends for awhile in Ehrenberg, AZ :

Attachments

• tent.jpg
    tent.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 18
  • jeep.jpg
    jeep.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 15
B and C said:
You need to watch a more recent one:

Thanks, Mittry Lake is the other place I am looking at besides Ehrenberg, AZ. So, it will be one or the other.

Sepudo said:
“I went to baja with another group”

”could you briefly describe your trip to Baja?” Are you going again this year? 

I’m wanting to go this year after the RTR. I’m currently overnighting at a rest stop waiting for a blizzard to pass and for I-80 to reopen. Subzero tonight here in Nebraska so Baja looms large. 

Thanks 

Travelbuzz said:
Thanks, Mittry Lake is the other place I am looking at besides Ehrenberg, AZ. So, it will be one or the other.

Mittry Lake area has a camping limit of 10 days per calendar year.

Just to be clear, you cannot reside on public land. You can camp within the guidelines of the area you are camping in and then you have to move the specified distance. This keeps areas from being overrun by squatters and allows others to camp there.

If you want to stay somewhere for an extended period take a seasonal job with a space/lodging or volunteer. This makes things easy.

Sepudo said:
...you'll find there'll be several groups to hook up with and continue traveling.

Yes, that happens a lot. The "groups" usually form up rather spontaneously. You meet some people, you get along with them, you become friends and decide to travel together. Being friends first almost always works better than assembling a random group whose only common interest is having people to travel with.

Perseverance said:
Do the groups post here?

the ones I travel with do not simply because of personal preference. we prefer to simply meet in person, feel people out and then decide if we want to travel together. It's difficult to do that simply via text I'm sure you'd agree. 

But like MrNoodly mentioned it does happen in person a lot and spontaneously. Mix, mingle and say hi to people that catch your eye and they'll surely return the gesture. 

If you are more fortunate than others, build a longer table, not a taller fence.

Wife and I are in the areas of NM & AZ looking for others to camp on BLM land with. We travel with 2 large dogs that are never off leash and are in a tt with a 4x4 tow vehicle. Have no real plans, other than to not attend RTR (too many people to close together for me).

Will be heading back to Michigan in March. If anyone has an interest, let me know.

I am going to start deleting these to many people at the RTR posts.

not really but come-on. highdesertranger

Interested in Caravaning after the RTR?

Sure.

Able to?

No.

I've got two days after the RTR before I need to be back in California. I could only get so much time off of work.

Am interested in camping with others from this group in the Western side of AZ in Jan and Feb. Will not be attending RTR - I can't handle that many people.

highdesertranger said:
I am going to start deleting these to many people at the RTR posts.

not really but come-on.  highdesertranger

First post in this thread is "after rtr anyone interested in caravaning ,,,, "

Not "Why wouldn't you be interested in ..."

Same as the "why not attend RTR?" is the appropriate thread to express what keeps one from attending RTR.

Signal to noise ratio matters.