Advice on roof racks

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeiraNomadRN

Reaction score
Hi all!!

I have a 2015 Honda Pilot with a 'naked' roof.  I want to store stuff up there -- like my gazelle hub tent and a chair and that roll of reflectix. 

The roof has slots for factory roof rails, but I thought if I got factory rails then I can't move it to another car (or van) someday.  But I know the ones that clamp on using the doors can harm the paint beneath . . .  What would an experienced person pick?
Also, I know Thule & Yakima are everywhere, Rhino seems to be highly respected, does anyone have a recommendation about any other brands?
Do you have a trusted retailer?

Please, tell me anything & everything you know about roof racks!

Thanks!

I’m certainly not the person to ask about roof racks. Most will cause your gas mileage to go lower, create a lot of wind noise at highway speeds and over time loosen up or deteriorate what ever you put up there via sun and dust. If you have to try one go to the junk yard or pic a part and find a cheap factory one off an identical vehicle. If it works out for you there are accessory boxes or bags you can mount to a factory rack. All of the after market racks are way too expensive in my opinion but the good ones mount in the factory mounts. Most of my old vehicles that I use off road to get my kayaks to the water I built the racks and secured them with ratchet straps and big eye bolts through the door posts, they didn’t loosen up or come off ever. In my opinion you would be better off with better organization inside the vehicle like maybe a drawer system, shelf in the rear cargo area or cargo net attached to the inside roof. You will scratch up the paint getting stuff in and out of the rack any way. Keep your stuff dry and clean as well as save a little gas by putting your gear inside the car if you can fit it there.

I bought a used factory roof rack for my ex's car for pretty cheap at a car junkyard.

The factory racks ive used on various vehicles have been OK, depending on what youre doing with them. Aftermarket racks have been much more expensive, but that could be my taste in what id like vs someone elses.

The cargo racks that mount in a trailer hitch receiver mount work well and you dont have the wind drag penalty, and they are easy to get things out of it. They may interfere with the rear hatch door, yours may or may not have an issue with that and based on how you use it.

Here is just about anything and everything there is to know about the 2015 Honda Pilot roof rack options:

https://www.etrailer.com/roof-2015_Honda_Pilot.htm

You should be able to find whatever you need.

If your Pilot has the slots for the factory rails, and you can get those from your local dealer, that might be a good option also. I'm sure they wont be cheap.

Thank you all so much!

Because of your encouragement, I was able to figure out what I needed and spend a lot less than I expected. And that is priceless. Thanks!