Advice on generator/power setup

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WesternRailfan5181

Reaction score
Good afternoon all, was looking for some advice on a generator/inverter/battery setup for my eventual move into my mini-rv build that is going to soon be started. I initially wanted a generator that was wired directly to an inverter, but would like to include a few good batteries so that the generator isn't continuously running. However, i also want to include a window ac unit that runs separate from the vehicle ac system. I'm currently looking at a generator similar to this https://www.cabelas.com/product/aut...ender-next-gen-generator/2393623.uts?slotId=2

What i was hoping to do, was build a bracket from steel that would securely hold the generator, battery setup, fuel tank, and window ac unit resting on top of that, with some small storage on the outside. For me this is paramount as i will be venturing offroad into remote and possibly heavy wooded areas, and also possibly at higher altitudes. I'm attempting to make this as compact of a system as possible, to allow enough for the hunting/trapping/fishing equipment that i would be carrying along with me, but also with enough capacity that i would only need to refuel the generator fuel tank once every couple weeks. Currently the proposed fuel tank size is a 40 gallon aluminum tank; vehicle considered is either a modified pickup truck like a Ford F250 or similar, or  military surplus such as a Humvee, which might not require much body modification. Greatly appreciate any and all advice. Hope your all having a good day!

A generator's exhaust is hot and voluminous, and also toxic. That would make me want to keep it well away from your A/C so the heat doesn't over-stress your A/C's motor, and from the air intake specifically so you don't wind up sucking in those toxic gases.

Reminds me in some ways, potentially, of when I lived in an apartment with a stove right next to the refrigerator, and every time I used the oven the fridge's compressor wold be cranking on and off like crazy and send my power bills through the roof.

So there's that, too. Something really hot next to something that needs things cold means you're going to be spending extra money to deal with that.

That genny will be so loud you will be freindless for life. With the AC running, it will consume a couple gallons of gas each day. Where are you storing all this extra fuel? We are talking 15-20 gallons per week out there.

Is it really worth the cost of all that gear PLUS another $150 - $200 a month in gas, just to have the AC?

Break free from the notion that you need AC to live in the woods. It simply is NOT practical without being plugged in to an outlet

that's a loud, rattling, noxious generator. you don't want to be anywhere around it when it's running even 100ft away it will drive you crazy.

another point you don't plug a inverter into a generator. an invertor takes 12vDC and makes 120vAC. a generator takes gas/propane/diesel and makes 120vAC.

what you need to do is figure out what you want to run off of electricity. let us know and we can go from there. highdesertranger

I do admit my design ideas need a bit of work. I guess the highest electricity drawing piece would be my future pc build, which is a desktop gaming rig. Right now my laptop runs good on a 300 watt inverter that can plug into a 12v DC receptacle. I would rather not have to have a generator but know nothing about how to set up anything for solar power, and i do prefer to stay in northern climates. Had i gone with my original idea, i would have bought a class B or A truck and turned it into an rv, but right now i'm just looking for simple and reliable setup that isn't hugely complicated or costly.

ok that's a start but we need everything you are going to run in a day for how long and it's power consumption. don't leave anything out. highdesertranger

Honestly that is kinda it aside from a small fridge if i could fit one in there somewhere, like those little ones you find in a hotel room. I'd likely cook over a charcoal/wood fire to eliminate that extra source of needing power. I'm not exactly sure what kind of power consumption the fridge would have and not really sure on my laptop either. the desktop build would have a 800w power supply as its going to be a high-end build. As for how long, that varies, but just for an average lets say my current laptop runs about 3 hours per day, sometimes longer. The fridge would be the big one out of that since i do kinda want one of those around so i can keep food fresh, but could easily do a thermocooler that could use a 12v dc plug in. Only other thing would be a phone charger, but thats minimal at best. Other than that, only a PS4/Xbox that would use a HDMI cable to my pc monitor. I blame Red Dead Redemption for making me want a console again lol, that was a very interesting game.

ok first off thermal electric coolers are power hogs. compressor refrigerators are much more efficient 12v ones are the best.

what about lights, fans, speakers for the computers.

800 watts for any length of time is a huge draw.

are you planning on solar? batteries?

are you planning on being out west. in summer most of the west is under burn bans. that means no fires, charcoal included. electric is very inefficient for making heat. most use propane/butane.

you really need to get your usage figured out. this is not like living on the grid. you need hard numbers. read up around here for awhile to get an idea about how precious electricity really is.

highdesertranger

Just another note prompted by HDR's mention of burn bans -- it's because of the same fires and fire conditions that, around here at least, make solar cookers unusable. I got one -- supposedly an excellent one, the Rand solar cooker -- and loved the idea ... and could only get up to 110 degrees with it even on days in the high 90's, because of all the smoke cover. For almost two months now. Effectively most of the best season to use these things in.

So if electric cooking is a prohibitive draw and solar cooking doesn't always work, it's definitely on to other choices.

Propane?

It can run a fridge too ...

You guys do make some good points. I do plan to be out west, however that's more of the northern Midwest and Pacific northwest. The second and probably better design was completely utilitarian, with the only electronics in the build being one of the 12v compressor equipped refrigerators and a small 12v fan for airflow. Everything else on that build would have been supplies like traps, fishing gear, hunting equipment, etc. I'm almost thinking after hearing your advice to cut electric power out of this altogether, since it would indeed up the cost a bit.

highdesertranger said:
you really need to get your usage figured out.  this is not like living on the grid.  you need hard numbers.  read up around here for awhile to get an idea about how precious electricity really is.

Indeed. Most people alas have utterly no idea how much electricity they actually use, or how difficult it is to produce it--all they know is that they can plug everything right into the wall and get as much as they want, anytime they want it.

That's why we get so many newbies who think they can get a 20ah "solar generator" and then run a fridge, tv, gaming computer, hot plate stove, and AC.

You'll need to do some math. Make a list of everything that you want to run. For each item, determine how many amps of electricity it uses (it will have a "watts" figure somewhere on it--divide this by 12 to calculate how many amps it will draw from your battery bank). Next, decide how many hours per day you need to run each item, and multiply this by the number of amps it uses, and add all this up for everything you want to run. That will tell you how many "amp-hours" of electricity you will be drawing each day from your battery bank. If you will be using lead-acid AGM batteries, then double this number--that gives you the minimum battery capacity in amp-hours that you will need in your battery bank. (If you will be using lithium batteries, then don't double this figure--lithium batteries have almost twice as much usable energy as lead-acids.) Next, you need to calculate how much solar panel capacity you will need to keep your battery bank charged. Take the total capacity in amp-hours you need for your battery bank, and double it. That is the minimum size solar panel array, in watts, that you will need to reliably charge your battery bank. To roughly estimate your cost, figure $1 for each watt of solar panel capacity, $2 for each amp-hour of battery capacity (if you will be using lithium batteries, this figure jumps to $5 per amp-hour, since lithiums cost more than lead-acids), and add $300 or so for the cost of an inverter, controller, and wiring. All of these figures are minimums--if you are in an area where there is lots of cloudy weather and less sunlight, you will need a bigger system to get the same amount of energy.

Get a "Kill-a-Watt" meter and determine your total 120 volt needs for computer gaming. It is always better to use 12 volt devices. 12 volt compressor fridge are available in many sizes, limited by your wallet. Do not plan to use a dorm fridge. Do a little bit of research and find out something about solar. Look at Renogy Kits to get an idea. You should read a bit about deep cycle batteries as well. Then make new plans.