Advice Needed re: Towing

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Optimistic Paranoid

Reaction score
For those of you with experience pulling trailers, (of which I have none), what do you think of a half ton pickup to pull a cargo trailer with a weight of maybe 3500 - 4000 lbs?

Yes, I would prefer a 3/4 ton, but frankly the prices on decent ones around here are just insanely more than I can spend.

Right now, I am looking at https://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/cto/5002984177.html as a prime example, I could pull the money out of my credit union tomorrow, and my nephew, who makes his living as a mechanic, a good one, has said he'll go look at it with me.

Opinions definitely wanted, both as to that particular truck, as well as using a half ton in general.  Thanks.

Regards
John

Optimistic Paranoid said:
For those of you with experience pulling trailers, (of which I have none), what do you think of a half ton pickup to pull a cargo trailer with a weight of maybe 3500 - 4000 lbs?

Yes, I would prefer a 3/4 ton, but frankly the prices on decent ones around here are just insanely more than I can spend.

Right now, I am looking at https://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/cto/5002984177.html as a prime example, I could pull the money out of my credit union tomorrow, and my nephew, who makes his living as a mechanic, a good one, has said he'll go look at it with me.

Opinions definitely wanted, both as to that particular truck, as well as using a half ton in general.  Thanks.

Regards
John

that truck should have 6000 to 7300 towing , depends  on which engine and gear ratio it has ,,   you would not have any trouble towing with it..     check if it has the tow package on it.   also your in the rust belt i would check the  frame and undercarriage real good..    it looks decent in the pictures  the price for this part of the country isn't bad either..  i'm in PA,  and tow that much with a F 150   3.7 v6 & 3.78 rear. 2 wheel drive  with no problems.     

I've only owned one half ton, and for running around it was fine. I did burn up the transmission in it towing however. It was a '91 and was rated to tow 5000 lbs. I was towing right at 5000 lbs and going through the mountains. I think it will be fine as long as you stay well under the towing rating. I'd also add a temperature gauge for the trans, so you know what's going on instead of just guessing. I also wouldn't tow over about 1500 lbs without brakes on the trailer, as the half tons have smaller brakes.
I'm not sure if you have your trailer already, but for reference my 6x12 cargo trailer conversion, fully loaded for a trip with my KLR inside weighs right at 3000 lbs.

A 3/4 ton will give you a larger set of brakes which increases stopping power. Does your trailer have brakes?

I would add a transmission cooler. Not to hard to do yourself. It's a small radiator that goes inline with the fluid hoses that go to your current radiator.

LoupGarou said:
A 3/4 ton will give you a larger set of brakes which increases stopping power. Does your trailer have brakes?

Haven't got the trailer, yet.  But electric brakes will be a non-negotiable item.  I also plan to put premium pads/shoes on the truck, in the hope they will help.  Being an eastern flatlander, I've no experience with mountain driving, and I plan to give myself every possible advantage when I do it.  Thanks.

Regards
John

Lostinspace said:
I would add a transmission cooler. Not to hard to do yourself. It's a small radiator that goes inline with the fluid hoses that go to your current radiator.

Thanks, Wade.  I do know about coolers - I sold auto parts for 20 years.  But you couldn't know that, so thanks for mentioning it.  I'm sure it will help other people who might see this thread down the years.

Regards
John

Optimistic Paranoid said:
It might depend on the truck. I had a Dodge Ram 1500 (2WD) and pulled a 26' Dutchman Trailer with Queen Bed, Fold out couch, bunk beds, table/benches, kitchen, refrigerator, propane tanks, and full bathroom. I think it weighed around 7000lbs. Did it complain a little? Yes. Would it way more easily tow a cargo trailer? Yes. I dont know much about engines and stuff, but I thought the 2WD had a higher towing cap than the 4x4. Engine size also matters. Mine had a Hemi. The new Ram 1500s seem to have a tow cap of 10,650 lbs. No idea about the Fords.

I would stay away from the fancy dancy brakes. they just wear your rotors and drums faster. if your brakes aren't big enough they aren't big enough, trying to compensate is not going to make them bigger. remember stopping is more important that going. a factory tow package on a 1/2 ton should be fine for what you describe. highdesertranger

Just my opinion so here goes,
There is no substitute for ... bigger is better to much is just right....tried to go the 1/2 ton route blew up the engine and transmission in the flat lands,
In the end wound up with a used 4wd 3/4 ton, have put 150,000 miles on it so far without any major repairs so far.
For budget, maybe an older truck but heaver would be good
Gadget

Just my opinion so here goes,
There is no substitute for ... bigger is better to much is just right....tried to go the 1/2 ton route blew up the engine and transmission in the flat lands,
In the end wound up with a used 4wd 3/4 ton, have put 150,000 miles on it so far without any major repairs so far.
For budget, maybe an older truck but heaver would be good
Gadget

Well, the OP is right about one thing for sure, it's a lot easier to find half tons vs three-quarter or one tons. Like about at least a 5:1 or more ratio, maybe 8:1. I tried clicking on his link but it had been deleted, so I have no idea what he was looking at. As has been said, it's all the drivetrain combination. Gears any more "street" than 3.70's probably aren't smart. The newer 6 speed automatic GM's can go down into like 3.08 or 3.2, something like that, due to the transmission ratios. That's unheard of in an older 4 speed auto.

So not knowing what year you are looking at, just don't go much past 6000 with a half ton if possible. You need margin, and without trailer brakes you don't have it. Also, mountain driving requires gearing down for both up and downhill. Whatever the gear is you climbed on should be the maximum gear you descend in, road conditions not withstanding.

I know people pull with half tons all the time, the newer 2010 and up are way more truck than the older ones were, so again, what year and drivetrain?

Yes, 2 wheel drive has a higher GVW because it weighs less. All the manufacturers publish their tow ratings based on 2wd no extra cab short bed so they have the most payload and towing. When you load up a quad cab, 4x4 high end truck you have just taken away hundreds of pounds of towing and payload.

Go as new as you can, v8 unless you like the Ford Ecoboost numbers, as deep of gears as is realistic and try for a 6 speed gearbox. That's my thoughts. Oh, and make sure it has a towing package from the factory, soooo much better than add ons.

You will have no problems pulling that setup.One caveat,don't let Dusty 98 go along for the ride.You wou;ld definitely need heavy duty breaks and transmission.

That's why I cant recommend half tons. I'm close to that by myself! Lucky for the OP that the term half ton is about as antiquated as I am!

He may pull it ok, most engines can pull, it's the stopping that's more important....

I miss the air suspension seat on my Kenworth... At least I had the GVW on that truck...

Dusty98, with both of us being "Bigger Than The Average Bear" kind of fellows, if we rode together, we'd need every bit of that one ton truck capacity!! Sometimes, bigger is better! :)

That is what I thought until I broke my leg in 4 places.   :(

After 4 years I still have a limp, and can tell when it will rain or snow.  

Snowbirding in AZ made last winter much better.

Ok, I'm not much of a picture guy. I haven't found the proper way to post images. School me on it someone... The Dodge truck picture from the above post didn't come through...

Is the weight of the cargo trailer the loaded or unloaded weight? You should be able to tow that much with the proper hitch setup.

View attachment 3289
dusty98 said:
Ok, I'm not much of a picture guy.  I haven't found the proper way to post images.  School me on it someone...  The Dodge truck picture from the above post didn't come through...
. Here's another, same idea.  If a 1/4 ton can carry 2 camels than a modern American half ton can tow a 6000 trailer...