Advice Needed re: Towing

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LeeRevell said:
Dusty98, with both of us being "Bigger Than The Average Bear" kind of fellows, if we rode together, we'd need every bit of that one ton truck capacity!! Sometimes, bigger is better! :)

That is why I went the 2 ton route!

dusty98 said:
Ha ha, I'd have to change "Adventurer at Large" to "Large Adventurer"...

http://www.plowsite.com/archive/index.php/t-140508.html

Y'all should have seen me haul my large self out of the little Toyota Tercel that Mom passed down to me years ago!  Still have it and need to junk it.  I looked like a big clown UAing a tiny clowncar!
Made me really appreciate the van!

LeeRevell said:
Y'all should have seen me haul my large self out of the little Toyota Tercel that Mom passed down to me years ago!  Still have it and need to junk it.  I looked like a big clown UAing a tiny clowncar!
Made me really appreciate the van!

I would love to have seen that, you gotta post more pics!

Next time I go shopping for a pickup, I should ask for one that has a 4 camel capacity?

Got it. [emoji41]

Wikipedia says the average Bactrian camels weigh 300 to 1,000 kg (660 to 2,200 lb) and dromedaries 300 to 600 kg (660 to 1,320 lb). I don't know one camel from another, but even on the low end, that little quarter ton truck had at least 1300 pounds and maybe closer to 2000. So yea, a 4 camel truck would be what I'd ask for, payload wise...

dusty98 said:
Wikipedia says the average Bactrian camels weigh 300 to 1,000 kg (660 to 2,200 lb) and dromedaries 300 to 600 kg (660 to 1,320 lb). I don't know one camel from another, but even on the low end, that little quarter ton truck had at least 1300 pounds and maybe closer to 2000. So yea, a 4 camel truck would be what I'd ask for, payload wise...

When I was in Iraq we used to watch them run in groups off in the distance. They are pretty darn fast for being so heavy...

Hey there OP (OP, funny), since you began this on May 1st, have you made a determination yet?
A lot depends on size and number of people you are bringing along and/or if you prefer to maximize the bed space for junk. I always had an 8 foot bed and either a reg cab when solo or a crew cab 1 ton when in family mode. These newer short cab (5') crews allow for a lot smaller length truck (with the trade off of less room for camping junk) yet they are really plentiful. Any craigslist or autotrader search should pull up dozens and dozens.

I will tell you that unless you are stuck on getting a 4x4, a passenger window (not a conversion) van can be a better tow rig as the cargo is covered and they are soooo much cheaper than the pickup. I looked for a couple months for a truck when I was thinking of living in a truck camper and I found that trucks, being so popular, are a good 20 to 33 percent higher than the same age van. If you have to have 4x then yes, you are probably getting a truck same if you haul smelly gas powered toys...

Also an eastern flatlander…
I tow an 18 foot trailer at a weight of 5000 pounds with a ’99 Ford E250 (3/4 ton) w/HD suspension option. I also use a HD load equalizing hitch.
5.4 gas V8, GVWR of 8600 and tow capacity of 7500. I figured I had left plenty of ‘reserve’ for comfortable towing.

As long as there are no hills, things are OK….but just traveling over a low pass here in Virginia, which a westerner would call a ‘pimple’, requires going down to 2nd gear at 35-40 mph (4 speed auto w/ cooler and 3.73 rear). Also my MPG drops to about 10-11. Looking back I shoulda got the V10.
I can’t imagine how slow I’d have to go if I came out to the Rockies with this set-up.

Without a diesel engine my new rule of thumb is multiply tow capacity by 60% and stay under that for weight of trailer.

I’ll soon be downsizing to a 12 foot (+3 foot V nose) all aluminum trailer before venturing out to the western half of the country.

Hope that helps.

dusty98 said:
Hey there OP (OP, funny), since you began this on May 1st, have you made a determination yet?  

I continue to look for a 4X4.  The plan is to use the trailer as a base camp and to use the 4X4 for back country exploration and photography.

I have revised my budget to the point where I think I can swing a 3/4 instead of the 1/2 ton. 

My situation is such that I have the luxury of time to find the right rig. 

Regards
John

johnny b said:
As long as there are no hills, things are OK….but just traveling over a low pass here in Virginia, which a westerner would call a ‘pimple’, requires going down to 2nd gear at 35-40 mph (4 speed auto w/ cooler and 3.73 rear). Also my MPG drops to about 10-11. Looking back I shoulda got the V10.
I can’t imagine how slow I’d have to go if I came out to the Rockies with this set-up.

Without a diesel engine my new rule of thumb is multiply tow capacity by 60% and stay under that for weight of trailer.

I’ll soon be downsizing to a 12 foot (+3 foot V nose) all aluminum trailer before venturing out to the western half of the country.

Hope that helps.

Damn.  The 5.4 is 300hp and 365 ft-lbs, the V10 is 363 hp and 457 ft-lbs.  It's hard to believe that 300 horsepower ain't cutting it.

I'm certainly going to try to keep the trailer weight as low as possible.

The later model Super Duty's have 6 speed trannys with something called Tow-Haul mode.  Wonder how much difference that makes?

Thanks for the reply. 

Regards
John

Baloo said:
The load equalizing hitch makes a huge  difference!

Oh, Yeah!  I'm looking at the Equalizer brand, which not only equalizes the load, but builds in anti-sway as well.

Regards
John

Tow haul electronically locks out OD and adjusts the shift points keeping you in lower gears longer. Really nice, available on all 2006 and newer I believe... 3/4 anyway.

I'd not worry about a 5.4 with 4.10 gears but yes, the guys with 3.55 or this poster with 3.73's struggle some. Remember at altitude every thousand feet cuts x percent power unless turbocharged.

Good you've upgraded your budget to the possibility of a ford super duty or gm HD. I'm not a dodge truck knowledgable person so I can't comment. I'd stick with a large displacement gas if I were you, V10 fords were phased out in the late 2000's, not sure how far back you'd have to go for one of those. If you keep your weight down the 5.4 is ok. Try for the 6 speed auto.

Don't chip any gasser, voids warranties, not really worth the cost.

Diesel trucks are a whole nother world, spend time reading truck forums or the diesel forums before you make that leap. Lots of pros and cons. Pros being power power power. Cons being cost to maintain and fiddly on fuel quality. You can dump crap gas in a gasser and it will sputter and run. Crappy diesel (too much water or biodiesel algae) and you face $$$ repairs...

Get a ford Oasis report or the GM dealer to run your VIN for any repair history. Don't buy an auction truck with no idea of repairs unless you get it really cheap or like to gamble.

Let us know what you ended up with. Best of luck...

For towing and lots of idle time a diesel is the way to go. Yes, there are fuel issues at times. Nothing a handy owner can't handle. Always carry an extra set of filters and some basic tools.
In the ten years of diesel ownership I have experienced one time where I got half a tank of water from a pilot fueling station, and one time where I had to change the filter on the side of the highway. They are fairly bombproof engines if you take care of em. Also they just sound cool!

The thing is, I KNOW gas engines.  I was working on them back when hot rodding them meant changing camshafts and carburetors, not re-flashing a computer chip.  And I spent 20 years selling auto parts and dealing with professional shops.  Even today, while I no longer do my own work, I'm comfortable that some strange mechanic couldn't pull a fast one on me.

But diesels?  If a diesel mechanic told me that the phaser circuit was out of sync and we needed new dilithium crystals, I'd be going, "Oh.  Ok, how much?"

Maybe if I were trying to pull a honking big 5th wheel Condominium On Wheels, I'd cowboy up and get a diesel.

But right now, diesels are most definitely NOT on the table.

Regards
John 

we have the tow haul switch in our 2005 ford super duty f-250 diesel, I don't like it, I prefer the overdrive lockout found on older trucks. it does choose what gear it should be in. however if your selector is in drive and the tranny is in second if you manually down shift it actually upshifts, so you manually downshift again and it doesn't do anything. stupid technology. highdesertranger

Baloo, I totally respect your wrenching knowledge. The thing about some of the pickup diesels, maybe it's the emissions crap, but lots of idling is supposed to carbon up the turbos now and is bad for them. Your older generation (same with the 6.9, 7.3 IDI and later 7.3) were ok with idling. All this newer regen crap and extended idling seem to be causing issues. The new ones do make massive power but at what cost? Reliability. The Dodge 12 valve 5.9 motors ran forever with their mechanical fuel systems. Every newer iteration seemed to be worse. Thanks EPA.

dusty98 said:
Baloo, I totally respect your wrenching knowledge. The thing about some of the pickup diesels, maybe it's the emissions crap, but lots of idling is supposed to carbon up the turbos now and is bad for them. Your older generation (same with the 6.9, 7.3 IDI and later 7.3) were ok with idling. All this newer regen crap and extended idling seem to be causing issues. The new ones do make massive power but at what cost? Reliability. The Dodge 12 valve 5.9 motors ran forever with their mechanical fuel systems. Every newer iteration seemed to be worse. Thanks EPA.

Dusty, you are completely correct. The new diesels are not nearly as dependable as the early 90's mechanical injection motors. There are a few exceptions like the early power strokes and the mid 2004 cummins,but it is hard to find a good used one that was not worked to death.
However, if someone was buying a new truck with a warranty, then the diesel option should not be completely overlooked. They may not be perfect for everyone, but when properly cared for, they will provide years of trouble free service with plenty of towing power. (Sorry for jacking the thread, I will get off ,the diesel soap box now)