Advice For Traveling the Alcan?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Optimistic Paranoid said:
I gather that most people who travel the Alcan use a copy of The Milepost as their guide:

http://www.amazon.com/Milepost-2016...8&qid=1457223730&sr=1-1&keywords=the+milepost

If you have a Barnes & Noble nearby, you can probably find a copy there to examine and decide if it will be useful to you.

Regards
John
I do have a $35 B&N gift card to use. That would be a good way to spend it. I didn't have a Milepost on my last trip, just a map. Nowadays I GPS everything but I don't think my Verizon plan works in Canada. Something to check on. I doubt that I would get lost, however I like as much as info available as possible.

SaltySeaWitch said:
Both! It's on my bucket list to see Alaska!
There's a lot to see up there! I loved Denali Park the most. Exploring Anchorage was more fun than most big cities. I went to Tok a few times. Always wanted to see Juneau and Whittier.
I lived up in the Fairbanks/North Pole area off and on during the Eighties. But I spent most of my time working, not traveling much. I didn't have a vehicle much of that time.
Last time I was up there (early 90s?), I flew up to babysit my brother's kids for much of the winter, while Jerry and his wife did a pilgrimage to Israel. For a whole month, it stayed -40°F or colder. It hit -65° for a bit. But the Northern Lights were spectacular! And no mosquitoes. :)

Judy and I drove it in 2014 and i blogged on the whole trip. Click on "Blog" at the top of the page and on the right hand side are categories, click on "Alaska" and you'll see all my posts on the trip. I tried to give you all the information you need to make a great trip. If you have any questions afterwards, I lived there for 45 years so I know a little about it.
Bob

don't forget to head down and check out Homer!

I've driven the AlCan twice, in semi trucks, in the middle of January no less!!
Frikken LOVED IT!!!

Next time is on my murdersycle. :cool:

Also,

our own Fabber McGee just drove his stepvan down to the lower 48 from Anchorage only a month ago.

He's done it several times and I hope he finds this thread, as I'm sure he'd have a lot of personal experience to offer!

Anymore driving the Alcan is no big deal at all. It's essentially paved all the way to Whitehorse and from Whitehorse north it tends to degrade and be a poor road, but it's no big deal. There are hundreds of pull-offs all along it and unless it is specifically parked as "No Overnight Parking, you can sleep in them no problem. Getting gas isn't a problem, if you break down along the road lots of people will stop. You're only real risk is getting overwhelmed with politeness!!

There are lots of bears, but you are at virtually no risk from them

Sadly, most of it isn't even pretty, just flat or rolling hills. 

The most amazing thing about it is the number of people walking or bicycling it--I bet we saw a dozen going each way. Because there is no adventure left to it, people have to do extreme stuff for it to be impressive.

The first time I drove it alone was 1973, back then it has zero pavement and it really was a wild trip! I drove a motorcycle up it in October 1979 and there was still zero pavement. That was a trip to remember!!

(This post is on-topic, let's stay on topic!!)

Photos

It either rained or snowed the whole trip, it was mud the whole way!

new-bike-alcan2.jpg

new-bike-border2.jpg

Iggy said:
There's a lot to see up there! I loved Denali Park the most. Exploring Anchorage was more fun than most big cities. I went to Tok a few times. Always wanted to see Juneau and Whittier.
I lived up in the Fairbanks/North Pole area off and on during the Eighties. But I spent most of my time working, not traveling much. I didn't have a vehicle much of that time.
Last time I was up there (early 90s?), I flew up to babysit my brother's kids for much of the winter, while Jerry and his wife did a pilgrimage to Israel. For a whole month, it stayed -40°F or colder. It hit -65° for a bit. But the Northern Lights were spectacular! And no mosquitoes. :)

It will take me a while to save for the trip but it is definitely on my to do list. Take lots of pics for us please.

akrvbob said:
Anymore driving the Alcan is no big deal at all. It's essentially paved all the way to Whitehorse and from Whitehorse north it tends to degrade and be a poor road, but it's no big deal. There are hundreds of pull-offs all along it and unless it is specifically parked as "No Overnight Parking, you can sleep in them no problem. Getting gas isn't a problem, if you break down along the road lots of people will stop. You're only real risk is getting overwhelmed with politeness!!

There are lots of bears, but you are at virtually no risk from them

Sadly, most of it isn't even pretty, just flat or rolling hills.

I imagined very steep, rough, mountain roads. If it's pretty flat then I am a lot less intimidated about driving it. I'm going to search your Alaska posts and learn more. Thanks.

the Alcan is not the adventure it once was, but it's still a great drive. highdesertranger

We did the trip last summer (4th time) in an older motorhome pulling a car. The credit card situation mentioned can be a PITA. Call all of your cards and tell them where you will be, before you go, and make them email a confirmation. If they shut them off while in Canada, it only takes a free call to their customer service to get it fixed. They have info. on the back of most cards about calling them from out of the country. Typical lower 48 cell plans are useless. I always have a Milepost, even if it's 90% ads, it's still very helpful with telling you what is ahead. Gas stations are dropping like flies since traffic is also dropping steeply. Trying to run a remote road house with a small diner, a few rooms and gas and diesel pumps is a really tough way to make money anymore, and lots of folks just give up. You will see at least one or two abandoned gas stations/road houses/motels/general stores for every one you find that's still open and pumping fuel. The first few hundred miles of the road will have a lot of evidence of the recent fracking boom, with everything from man-camps, to industrial facilities, and new side roads heading everywhere to wells and other gas operations. Fracking is also in the middle of a steep bust, so the local reported that the truck traffic we saw was a tiny fraction of what it was. The road is in real good shape, especially in early summer. By the end of the summer there is always a stretch between the border south to Klaine Lake that really sucks. Last year it was about sixty miles of really bad dirt that was a result of tearing the tar and chip surface up to replace it. There is no shortage of great places to stop. Liard hot springs is a must. Dawson Creek and Whitehorse both have fantastic transportation museums that cover the creation of the original "pioneer road" highway and other stuff that I really find captivating (the wife..................not so much, LOL) The Cassier is a great RETURN trip, since the later you are in the summer, the better chance you have of seeing Grizzlies in Hyder. Watson lake is degrading into a pretty sketchy dump of a town, with more abandoned businesses evident, every time we pass though. A side trip to Dawson City and over the top of the world highway, is an awesome way to enter the great state of Alaska. Dawson is one heck of a fun place to hang out, if you have the time. Chicken AK. can be a blast. Stop at the original chicken bar and have a drink with the Sue, the owner. She is a bit ornery, but pretty interesting once she warms up a bit. Have a great time, it's always an interesting trip.

I agree that Chicken is worth visiting.  I was in Hyder in August but saw no grizzlies there but saw plenty in Haines.  Haines is a bit out of the way [unless you take a ferry, which I didn't] but also worth the trip and the Haines Highway is excellent.

Does the Alcan go anywhere near Whittier? The one-building town is probably a lot less cool than it sounds.

I think the Alcan is still an adventure, I get excited every time I go,I think any time you head up to remote areas with very few services and people you are on an adventure, if you want some long gravel roads or a bit more adventure drive up the Dempster or as mentioned the top of the world highway can be a challenge after or during a wet period, you can always drive the Alaska highway in winter, other things to do, canoing the Yukon from Whitehorse to Dawson there are outfitters in Whitehorse. Also Whitehorse and Dawson have a lot going on in the summer I could hang out at either place all summer without getting bored.