Adventure to Seattle

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Awesomatic

Reaction score
I'm starting my journey to Seattle soon, and I was hoping that there may be a couple of folks out there that may want to meet up for lunch and give a newbie like me a pointer or two.

I'm in Seattle. What kind of pointers are you looking for?

I guess the pointers I have after three days of traveling in my Prius would be two things...where to find good parking spots for sleeping and where to go for showers.  I think part of me also wants to meet someone else to ask more questions about the lifestyle and what to expect and what to avoid.

Seattle or elsewhere, I park on the street near large apartment complexes where the overflow parking parks. Never have any trouble.

Can't help you with showers, I have my own...

People in Seattle have never been hard for me to make friends with.

Awesomatic said:
I guess the pointers I have after three days of traveling in my Prius would be two things...where to find good parking spots for sleeping and where to go for showers.  I think part of me also wants to meet someone else to ask more questions about the lifestyle and what to expect and what to avoid.

As I said on your other post, vehicle dwelling is a hot topic in Seattle proper right now so parking in the city is probably not a good idea. They are opening a couple safe parking lots for (homeless) vehicle dwellers. Numerous gyms around that you could join for a shower. There's also some community rec centers that may offer showers (Kent & Renton come to mind). I see you have a night job starting Monday. Whereabouts? Might be able to provide more specific parking advice based on that. On the up side your Prius will fit right in here.

I full time in Seattle. Off Grid is spot on...apartment overflow is perfect parking in my book and you shouldn't have a problem so long as people don't actually see you sleeping inside. I personally tend to avoid any spots that have dingy RVs or tents set up. You're in a prius, go upscale!

For showers and laundry, I haven't been there myself but Urban Rest Stop has been highly recommended. My reasons for not going there are due to an unusual medical condition, otherwise I'd jump at the chane, it sounds like a really decent option from what I've heard.

Hope this helps!

Edit: I just read your other post. Putting up reflectix in the windows, if visible from the outside, could draw you negative attention unless you sleep near other obvious vandwellers. I guess the level of stealth affect where I'd advise to sleep.

I've been in the Seattle/PNW area for the past two years in my cargo van. If I'm close to Seattle. I mostly hang out/sleep in Redmond/Issaquah and take the bus if need be for Seattle.

I mostly like to hit up dispursed camping as there are so many amazing spots. Also I backpack...............a lot..........heh.