Advantages and disadvantages Of different slide it in Campersh

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rastaman

Reaction score
Hi I'm considering purchasing a truck camper slid in and having no knowledge of them I was curious as to what the advantages or disadvantages of a pop-up slide in as opposed to a fixed top slide in other than the fact that the pop top may be lighter I am planning an extended trip out west with my wife. we are not big on amenities however at 60 years old some basic convenience would be nice. I am hoping to spend most of the time boondocking in off the beaten path areas and plan to tow or carry 2 small motorcycles. My truck is a dodge 3500 dully. I am sure there are some issues with truck campers I have not thought of.
one that comes to mind is with a fixed to the ability to stop and access the interior easily on the side of the road for a potty break etc.j

Any thoughts or experiences appreciated

IMO, the lowered pop&nbsp;top means less wind resistance and less weight, hence a perceived decrease in gas costs. Pop tops generally have soft canvas sides exposed when raised, hence less insulation and increased wear/maintenance. <br><br>Your Dodge dually would also be an excellent&nbsp;tow vehicle should you opt for a travel trailer, and could carry your two motorcycles in the bed with the minor addition of a unloading ramp.<br><br>The choice is yours. Either a slide-in or a towable travel trailer could provide most of the same conveniences, but either do require exit of the Dodge to access the inside of your living space.<br><br>Bob<br><br>

I've been debating a slide in camper vs trailer.&nbsp; I have&nbsp;my sidekick Pita, huskey mix, and she would need her living area--she doesn't believe in sharing, and I cannot figure out where that would be in a slide-in.&nbsp; The other thing is they are high.&nbsp; I live in tree country and when back roading, limbs and branches can be an issue.&nbsp; Another thing is the steps to get in them.&nbsp; They can be steep and flimsy.&nbsp; Since we are middle aged, falls can be debilitating, even small ones--(no more riding bareback on a bucking horse for me!) The idea of one or two short steps into a trailer verses steep and unstable and often flimsy steps into a slide-in is almost a deal breaker for me.&nbsp; If it were for a week or a month maybe, but not as a lifestyle.<br><br>My conclusion came after building a camper top like Bob's here on cheaprvliving last year and taking a week long trip over the Denali hwy.&nbsp; The dog was not impressed about getting in and out of the camper, and I could see where constant climbing and descending of those steps, someone would eventually miss step and not good events could come from it.&nbsp; <br><br>Hope these points help you with your decision.<br><br>Rae

The advantage of a poptop is lowered height when travelling: less wind resistance, a bit better for boondocking if forest areas (height wise), lower center of gravity.

We went with a hard side which is about a foot taller than most. It has a slide and more interior room, which is why we upgraded from a B With a 3500 dually, sway is not a problem . We park, and get inside. We're ready for the night.

Consider a loading ramp rather than steps. Google porches for TCs - I'm planning one now, not for necessity, but to hold our recumbent bikes and still have access to the door. We bought a pair of loading ramp from Cabellas for under $100. One half will be a porch (2 feet wide) and the other half a ramp to go up and down the porch. Strips of wood spaced to let water drain will complete the deck section of the porch.
The wood could covered with non slip material and a handrail could be added.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Auto...-downs/_/N-1100817&WTz_l=Unknown;cat104524380

Your choice, but unless you really plan to offroad in wooded areas, the height issue isn't a big one.

Seraphim, I am trying to picture what you have in mind,,,cant quite get it.<br><br><br>The more I think about it I am more inclined to go with the fixed top TC. From my past experiences with pop top trailers , and the unreliablity of the cables, I dont think I want to deal with that. But more importantly I think the convenience of arriving and being able to just go inside plus maybe pulling in for gas and while filling up have easy access to the camper for whatever purpose, food change of clothes, potty, all seem to out weigh the pop top. <br>With that Dodge 3500 I don't think weight or wind resistance will be much of a issue and the drop in mpg should be minimal........I am guessing. As for the height clearance, the idea of the bikes is to be able to explore the more remote areas....or am I missing something.<br><br>My budget will dictate the age and condition of the TC. however are there any real issues that I should be aware of to look for, other than the obvious leaks and such, I also wonder with the dully back fenders that stick out so wide will this be a problem?<br><br>I am thinking the ideal set up would be one that is the length of the 8' bed and allows me to have a hitch carrier to carry the bikes......I am on the hunt.

&nbsp;I've had both and the hard-side slide-in is better for 4 season camping, though a price is paid in MPG and harder to get into some areas due to clearance. Pop-top campers can be deceptively heavy, due to the required bracing for the roof and the mechanism used for raising/lowering. Also, the hard-side has one other major advantage.. storage room. One other thing that has to be taken into consideration is, if you decide to get solar panels, the added weight to the roof. They might require some added lifts to make up for the weight (I used the ones the have for hatchbacks).&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;Whatever kind you get, maybe check out the '70s-&gt;'80s campers. Many of them were built better and lighter than today's campers, with actual wood instead of particleboard. I have a '70-ish 9.5' Vanguard camper and, I tell ya, it's some light. With it ,and all my stuff loaded on my '92 F250 extended cab 4x4, I've still got about 5" travel on my rear suspension. ..Willy.

Better description:

The loading ramp I linked to comes in two 2x6 sections. I plan to mount one as a porch (or widow's walk) under the back door. Step out the door, and you're on the 'porch'. The second half will be a walkway from the porch, to the ground,

Ah ha ...now I got it...very interesting....<br><br>Thanks Willy....thats very interesting to know about the older TC,,,,and that should fit into my frugal budget perfectly....<br><br>&nbsp;the hunt is on

&nbsp;&nbsp; rasta, this advice comes from years of fulltiming in all sorts of rigs, and being in the RV business for years. Most of the older TCs were, and are, mostly overweight and very poorly designed. The newer you can afford, the better. Construction and interior design are light years ahead of even the 90s stuff around. The particle board used today is light years ahead of the plywood used earlier. They are both glued, glues today are far superior. Good luck, enjoy whatever you choose!

Owl....well its back to drawing board, I guess. I was never fond of any aluminum campers anyway...thanks for your opinion. It will seem that $$$ will be the final determining factor..

&nbsp;Well, I suppose that here we differ re. old vs new (NOT talking full fibreglass units like Bigfoots). When it comes to durability and lite weight, I'd posit that thin wood laminate w. glued&amp; stapled pine stringers are superior to particle board, as is plywood. This would be due to campers being mobile structures and having to endure much more than house furniture. Vibration, moisture extremes, and shock loading, all while trying to keep weight down, tend to favour ply. &nbsp; http://www.monarchkitchenbathdesign...wood-or-particle-board-which-is-better/&nbsp; My camper is over 30 yrs old, really lite for its' size with the interior furnishings still strong 'n "tight".. and all for $500. Of course, as with anything, there are plenty of 'lemons' out there, but the same could be said for new(er) units; give 'em 30 yrs &amp; see. ..Willy.

if you are planing any travel on unimproved roads in forested country height will be a problem sooner or later.&nbsp; a tree branch will open up a camper like a knife on a beer can.&nbsp; seen it before it's not pretty.&nbsp; highdesertranger

Quality:<br><br>A lot depends on how much you are willing to do to a unit to get it ready. As Willy said, you find older units inexpensively and spend a little time repairing them. Perfectly functional and you can modify them to your personal taste. One of the amenities you may want is upgraded insulation, and its easier to do with an older unit, IMO. One you dont mind tearing things apart from...<br><br>But whatever year, there's still a difference in build quality.&nbsp; Our current unit was bought new and it was relatively inexpensive. It is NOT a fourseason unit, but I did not wish to spend twice as much.&nbsp; DW and I treat it as a tent and camp (dress)&nbsp;appropriately for cold weather. As I have this urge to modify everything I buy, sometime this fall I'll be tearing stuff out, then I'll (over)insulate as I go. Cheaper in the long run, and I enjoy the labor.<br><br>It depends on what you like to do and how much you want/can afford &nbsp;to spend.

Oh yes...I am not opposed to an older unit....fixing, repairing and building is what I have done all my life. As a matter of fact, a great deal of the pleasure that this trip will bring is putting it all together, working out the logistics and making it happen....<br><br>If you knew me you would know that I don't want to spend much, I am as frugal as they come and long ago discovered that the quickest way to double your income is to half your expenses.<br><br>Around seven years ago I had purchased a 1985 Toyota Dolphin MH. For the ultimate purpose of taking a trip to the Alaska, kept it for almost three years got it in tiptop shape, never used it. other than the occasional 'sleep in' in the back yard. The trip never materialized (funny how life gets in the way of your plans). Then I sold it. I don't know if I regret getting rid of it. but that's now water under the bridge.&nbsp;<br>I did get an opportunity to repair some water damage on that unit, so I am all up for the task. And with my current excitement level.....No problem mon.<br><br>Highdesertranger, Thanks for the advise,,,,will diffidently have to keep that in mind. reminds me of the day I drove into my car port with two mountain bikes on my roof rack.....hehehehe

rastaman said:
Oh yes...I am not opposed to an older unit....fixing, repairing and building is what I have done all my life. As a matter of fact, a great deal of the pleasure that this trip will bring is putting it all together, working out the logistics and making it happen....<br>
<br><br>You and I regularly fall into the same trap. &nbsp;Even if you get something that needs work, make sure you keep your trip as the primary goal of the endeavor. &nbsp;Don't end up wasting time tweaking and tuning the "perfect" ride while you could be riding.<br><br>2 cents ...

&nbsp;One thing I like about those cheap 'n old units is that I don't have to think twice about tearin' into it and modifying to my hearts' content. A new one, well, can seriously affect the resale value. I've also picked up perfectly functional older campers for free.. and actually have MADE money with these units. About the first thing I do is rip out the useless 2/3 way propane/electric fridge and sell it for $175.. then stick in my Waeco. I've thought long 'n hard about getting one of those fibreglass units, but insulation is a big factor up here in the winter, and any that's added must be stuck on the inside. The old aluminum skinned (NOT Airstream type) can have the walls/roof peeled off on the outside and thick polyurethane/styrene insulation added; a bit of a hassle, but well worth doing. ..Willy.

Take a look at Truckcampermagazine.com, it has lots of good information. Good luck on the hunt.