Adding bathroom and oven to a van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IsaiahJuice

Reaction score
So yes, I want to live on the road fulltime, this will most likely be in a 1999 Chevrolet conversion van.  I know you have to sacrifice things for this lifestyle, but im not sure im willing to go without a functional bathroom and toilet.  How hard and/or expensive would it be to install a plumbing system of some sort for a toilet and shower?  The oven im still a bit 50/50 , ill add a propane stove but i love my oven made food.
Also, im new! Hello everyone!

IsaiahJuice said:
So yes, I want to live on the road fulltime, this will most likely be in a 1999 Chevrolet conversion van.  I know you have to sacrifice things for this lifestyle, but im not sure im willing to go without a functional bathroom and toilet.  How hard and/or expensive would it be to install a plumbing system of some sort for a toilet and shower?  The oven im still a bit 50/50 , ill add a propane stove but i love my oven made food.

This subject has been covered quite a bit.  Search your key words and read for a couple days.  It depends on how involved you want to get.  Most are minimalist that do with a bucket and gama lid...

Welcome to the world of the wanderers.

Welcome to the forums IsaiahJuice!  Installing a toilet and shower can be a simple as using a cassette toilet   and a suspended hula hoop with a shower curtain, plastic tub basin and a pressurized water container. Like GotSmart suggests a search will give you a lot of ideas -  https://vanlivingforum.com/search/?...fbffea82dbbe58b972&sortby=lastpost&order=desc

One of the members has a review of this oven on blog      Camp Chef Camping Oven  He seems very happy with it -http://www.van-tramp.com/wp/im-cooking-now/ -

rvwandering said:
Welcome to the forums IsaiahJuice!  Installing a toilet and shower can be a simple as using a cassette toilet   and a suspended hula hoop with a shower curtain, plastic tub basin and a pressurized water container. Like GotSmart suggests a search will give you a lot of ideas -  https://vanlivingforum.com/search/?...fbffea82dbbe58b972&sortby=lastpost&order=desc

One of the members has a review of this oven on blog      Camp Chef Camping Oven  He seems very happy with it -http://www.van-tramp.com/wp/im-cooking-now/ -

Thank you!  i will definitely do some research.  What i want is an interior shower so I'll have to build a water proof space for it.  Excuse any spelling errors my phones keyboard and this website doesn't integrate well.  Anyway, thank you for the information.

If you have the money, you would probably be better off just buying a Class B. Is your van a high top?

You're going to need :

fresh, black and grey water tanks,
a water pump
hot water heater
propane tanks and hoses run
shower enclosure
toilet

It'll be expensive, a lot of work and very difficult to cram it all in the van. Worse of all, it won't leave you much room for the rest of the van.

Are you sure you're not open to other alternatives?
Bob

I certainly hope the intended oven is not an an electric one to be powered off of batteries.

Transferring stick and brick 'necessities' into rolling van dweller luxuries, is often unattainable, and intensely foolish.

Who does not love a hot shower and a frozen Pizza straight from an Oven, but Building these into a Van is very expensive, and labor intensive with many variables prone to failure.

And heating anything on battery power, is pretty much unwise in the extreme, with few exceptions

Welcome Isaiahjuice, Lots of things and ways to think about. There are many different ways to accomplish the things you want. It would be nice to know the area of the country you wish to travel and stay. If you are contemplating cold weather the shower might look alot different than if you are staying in warmer weather. I use to use 3 gallons of hot water (from the stove top) and had more than enought to get clean, but it went into my waste water container. If you had a "tub" to catch the grey water you could pour it on the ground instead of lugging it around, like dish water. My camper had to be dumped every several days which could be a problem if you aren't close to a disposal site. Etc Etc. Sawdust toilet would be a great way to go as well There are oven/range combinations which can cook your food and can be taken out and set on a picnic table as well (won't heat up the vehicle.). My oven also doubled as a furnace, but it was made for that function. (all the appliances were propane)

don't forget to share your ideas, and photos as well.

I think we need a little more info. is your van a high top? if it's not a shower will be a challenge. is it a long wheel base? do you want the toilet and oven mounted permanently? highdesertranger

IsaiahJuice said:

You don't need plumbing in a camper van to have all of the amenities.  I have no plumbing, but I have my toilet, shower, and double sinks.

A folding stove top oven works great.