Acronyms w/o definition are a large pain

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrainChaser

Reaction score
I know that everyone uses acronyms, mostly without thinking, but it would be REALLY NICE if you could put the meaning in your post ONCE, so we don't have to leave here to go to AcronymFinder to figure out what you're talking about.  And even then, we often have to guess. 

I had to look up GTG, but there were quite a few possibilities:
Get Together
Good To Go
Got To Go
Glory to God
Global Travel Group
Girl To Girl
Good Time Girls
Genuine Tough Guys
Go To Guy/Gal
Growing To Greatness

I don't know about other people, buy my mind-reading abilities have faded in the last quarter-century.

Highlight, right click, google search.  

I get a laugh at some of the possibilities.   :D  Good time girl~~~  Now that has potential.  

YMMBD is one that confused me for a long time.  Then I figured out that "your mileage may be different" is a way to post a disclaimer.  (It worked for me, but I don't know if it will work for you).   :p

Found on the tips and tricks page

Common Acronyms
https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-Tips-and-Tricks--10289

OP = Opening Post, Original Post, Original Poster
CP = Control Panel
PM = Private Message
Mod = Moderator

CRVL = Cheap RV Living
RTR = Rubber Tramp Rendezvous, a gathering

BLM = Bureau of Land Management
NFS = National Forest Service
LEO = Law Enforcement Officer

One of our members did a blog post on the acronyms used by mobile wanderers
https://www.rubbertrampartist.com/2016/01/31/lingo/

ITEOTWAWKIAIFF    It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine.

I got that pretty easily when I read it 5 years ago and wasn't sure if I was more happy knowing it or decoding it!

You can't post ITEOTWAWKIAIFF without a video

Vocal recording of "It's the End of the World (as We Know it)" as by REM.

Vocals by Ted Agee of Escaping Neverland and A Nation Falls

[video=youtube]

Both undefined acronyms and contractions of words that have no proper contraction are both banes of the reader, online and elsewhere. As well as the annoying habit many have of never proofreading before banging the SEND or POST tabs.

if I run across one that I don't know what it means I just ask. I ask the poster or a teenager. thanks Guy for pointing out what POS stands for. I never knew it meant "Point of Sale". highdesertranger

Well, they just appropriated POS from it's original meaning then. Point of sale, yeah right. :p

I have less trouble with the slang acronyms than I do with the technical acronyms that get bandied about in here. Some threads I'd have to ask every other post what something means. I make up my own definitions on the ones that aren't technical if I can't easily guess.

Would someone maybe be willing to do a post of the technical acronyms for electrical/solar/mechanical that could be made sticky?

Have you ever been there at the birth of an acronym?   :cool:

In the 70's, schools in N. CA were set on a schedule of 45 minutes for a class, and 5 minutes allowed between classes. School ended at 3:25, and detention started at 3:30.  Detention was let out at 4:15.   :D   Guess what happened at 4:20?   :idea: :angel: :cool:

I had a '62 Dodge Dart, 383, 4bbl.  My wife didn't like to drive it and called it POS.  I didn't realize she meant point of sale.

It is my personal opinion that the modern computer based POS systems are often actually quite literally a huge POS!

Dave

highdesertranger said:
if I run across one that I don't know what it means I just ask. I ask the poster or a teenager. thanks Guy for pointing out what POS stands for. I never knew it meant "Point of Sale". highdesertranger

Should I use a fuse on that?

gsfish said:
I know how the OP feels. I found out to my surprise that I had been using an acronym in error for years. I learned here on the CRVL forum that POS actually stands for 'point of sale'.
http://www.businessnewsdaily.com/2955-best-pos-systems.html

Guy

For 30 years on the waterfront we used that to describe a machine not worth repairing. It was written quite often on the outside of the machine. Piece of (doo doo) 

We have a trucking company here in town that uses WTF, (White Truck Freight), I seen that and thought What The F---

My favorite is a F.R.E.D. It stands for "Flashing Rear End Device" until you bash your shins on it, and yell: "F**KING REAR END DEVICE!!"

I worked part time in the late 70s at an alarm company in the Diamond district in NYC.

Had these meters to show open circuits and closed circuits if they were triggered. We could see when the door was opened then we would wait for the client to give the all clear code signal. If not we would report the issue.

If the meters or the on site equipment would go into a fault state, the tech would put "NFG" on a tag on the meter to let the part timers would know to not report the issue.

Something happened one time and the alarm company ends up having to testify in court.

The judge asks the tech what "NFG" meant. He told his honor.

The last ten years of my work life was spent in IT POS. Appropriate acronym. Then the new kids started pronouncing POS as PAWZ.

highdesertranger said:
if I run across one that I don't know what it means I just ask.  I ask the poster or a teenager.  thanks Guy for pointing out what POS stands for.  I never knew it meant "Point of Sale".  highdesertranger

Well, as a computer geek, I've worked on Point of Sale systems, and both acronyms are accurate,  many of them are definitely pieces of shite.

pnolans said:
Well, as a computer geek, I've worked on Point of Sale systems, and both acronyms are accurate,  many of them are definitely pieces of shite.

Or RTFM..I've heard described as Read The Furnished Materials. ...

Latest posts