ac question

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
and when you think you found one you can afford

it is probably depleted....

rgs80074 said:
Hello everyone

I have an ac related question.  I have a 1997 dodge ram van b2500 conversion van (its got the 130 or 160amp alternator not the standard 90ish amp one).  the van also was abused by the prior owners before i bought her and gave her some tending loving care.

anyways the ac does not work, and repairing the ac system would be expensive,  wiring was melted, system was taken apart etc.

i also have the following ac unit
https://www.homedepot.com/p/LG-Elec...n-and-LCD-Remote-in-White-LP1017WSR/300422891

what I am wondering is if i can use it in the van with little work to provide the van with ac, as its hot in florida.

i am not talking about running the ac off solar, batteries, or a generator.  I want to run it off the vehicle when its on and driving.

the ac does not plug into a cig lighter so i'd need to get an inverter but not sure what size inverter to get or if the vehicle electrical would even handle it with the inverter.

what about adding more wiring (i'd have to hire this out electrical is not my thing) and running it off the vehicles battery or generator.

is either of these possible without spending a lot of money?

thanks

ryan

Please don't do this, especially if you are going to stick it in a van window as some are suggesting. We fulltimers get mocked and disrespected all the time for being trashy. We get banned and chased away from places because people think we are trashy. People's opinions do affect our lives. For one thing, they result in ordinances. Get your vehicle A/C fixed and don't reinforce the negative stereotype.

Git er dun!
zmPuT6S.jpg

jeanmarie said:
Please don't do this, especially if you are going to stick it in a van window as some are suggesting. We fulltimers get mocked and disrespected all the time for being trashy. We get banned and chased away from places because people think we are trashy. People's opinions do affect our lives. For one thing, they result in ordinances. Get your vehicle A/C fixed and don't reinforce the negative stereotype.

Wut?

now we of all people are telling someone to not do something because it doesnt look normal. i think that is more than a little judgemental and condescending.

and in case it wasnt known. many of the VW Westfalia snobs have been using window units in their over priced cult rigs for years

I have a question too. I was thinking of adding a window a.c. in my van. I would put it in the back like roadtrek does. What do they do to channel out the condensation?

I've got a Roadtrek and don't have a clue. I know that the area where the A/C sits is fully waterproof. I think there is a plastic tube from a pan under it that drains out the back corner underneath. I hardly ever run mine so I haven't noticed any condensation dripping anywhere.

rgs80074 said:
hello

is there a video or how on the enclosure building?

I built a wall in the last 18" of my van. The material cost to do so was not high.This gave me a garage area in the back for things like a generator, propane bottle, batteries, tools, and all the other stuff that didn't need to be in a living compartment. I put the AC unit into this wall and cut holes in the roof to vent out the hot air. My video of the system running off of solar is here  start about the 3:00 mark. My AC did not need an air baffle to supply the condenser as the AC also acts as a vent fan for the area.

Natgreen said:
I have a question too. I was thinking of adding a window a.c. in my van. I would put it in the back like roadtrek does. What do they do to channel out the condensation?

In my rig condensation is not a big issue. Unless you keep the windows open there will not be a lot of moisture in the air. Within the first few pass through the unit the moisture has already been removed so the interior air will be fairly dry after the AC has run for a few minutes. The water that does go into the drain pan evaporates with the warmer condenser air.
If you did it like the roadtreks, if there was a lot of moisture, it would drain out the back of the condenser.

jeanmarie said:
I just bought a window unit for my van. When I'm in public, I put the AC unit and my generator on a hand truck. I duct the AC to my head with aluminum foil and I always wear my 'I LIVE IN A VAN' t-shirt. It goes over really well in the dollar store

Oh my!  I had no idea sticking a window a/c in the front passenger window (yep) on occasion might cause offense.  I don't think it looks any worse than rooftop units on a Class A, and it's a heck of a lot quieter!  What's more, I feel genuinely proud of what I see as an elegant solution to a (hot and) sticky problem.  To each his own.