AC installation alternative

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treesprite

Reaction score
Tossing around ideas for when there is shore power available - not for off grid.

What do you think about the idea of avoiding the unsightliness of having a window AC unit sticking out of the side of a van, by installing the unit in the bulkhead wall that divides the cargo area from the cab? (There would be ventilation in the cab of course, using the windows in a way that wouldn't encourage rain, insects,  or criminals to come in).

While an AC unit pumps cold air out one side it pumps hot air out the other side. That means, even with the windows open, the cab would be getting hotter. And with the windows open, you're inviting bugs and criminals. You'd also need a way to drain condensation.

Plus, is it something you'd leave in place all the time or remove/stow when not in use?
If not "permanent", I'd look at finding a unit that fits in one of the rear door windows. Providing you have rear door windows...

I was just thinking to use it if I'm camping places in summer where it's hot. Usually 4th of July this one campground I o to has a big thing, and that location is just as hot as where I live. I usually have to pay to rent a cabin, and on the couple of occasions I only went for the day to take other people, I had to sit in the car with the engine running (for AC) most of the day.

The cab is going to be closed from the cargo area, so I was thinking the heat from the AC exhaust wouldn't re be an issue. My back windows don't open. It would suck to have to rent a cabin when I've got a van with a bed in it; I'm sure not running the engine for AC in this gas guzzler (I had company cars the times I was doing that).

I've slept in tents enough at certain campgrounds to know I'm okay there with windows down, just gotta put screen covers over the front window frames (I have some I use on the Kia, but they probably won't fit the van windows).

Why not just use a regular RV air conditioner on the roof? It fits in a 14”x14” hole the same as a vent/fan?

treesprite said:
My back windows don't open.

You just didn't try hard enough to open them.  : )

The glass can be replaced with metal or plywood to close the space around the air conditioner.

On the internet I have seen people mount the air conditioner on the floor with the hot side blowing out the bottom.  It is possible to build a wall across the back on the inside and leave the back door open to run the air conditioner.  Some class B RVs have an air conditioner mounted at the rear of the roof in the center, hot side blowing to the rear.  A temporary mount through the front passenger window can be made to work while parked.

If you want to install an AC and you got power to run it, there is always a way. It doesnt matter where you install it, front or back, just use flexible ducting to take the air to where you need it, and exhaust the hot air out of your van. That how I run my swampcooler, I have it in the back of my van, but use 4" flexible ducting to feed it, and to direct the airflow where I need it.

go to the hurriedyear website,  the person there shows how he installed an AC on his sprinter van with alot of pictures and what type of performance you can get. The small AC he uses (700 watts) looks like it will easily fit in a smaller van. Thats an alternative that might work for you. If 700 watts can cool his sprinter, it will easily cool a smaller van.

That is an excellent idea using the bulkhead. A little  5000 AC  ($99) would be perfect for your application. Attach bulkhead fitting and tygon tubing ($7) and catch the condensate in a clean jug for wash-up water. If you are worried about security with the open windows, make some burglar bars out of a hog panel  ([font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]$20 )[/font] put duck tape around the sharp snips, hold in place with a two piece spanner bar made of emt conduit ([font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]$5 )[/font]. It's not Fort Knox but neither is glass, a locked door with glass is just a rock away from entry. Great thinking out of the box.  Do it and tell us how you did it and a report out on performance.

bagabum said:
That is an excellent idea using the bulkhead. A little  5000 AC  ($99) would be perfect for your application
I've seen this once.  I believe Adventure Van Man did a video on it.  He used it for a short time while working one summer.  My understanding is that it worked well enough for his purposes, but that the unit did not last long.  I thought about doing this for occasional use in our van, but decided it would probably be a little loud and not very efficient.

We do occasionally use one in the front passenger window on nights when it doesn't get below 80.  I've rugged-ized the fins to make it easier to handle and less easy to damage.  It doesn't look all "that" bad, and works quite well.  The hardest part is lifting it into the window.  The other drawback is that once we've done that, we really don't want to leave the camp site, except on foot.

Rear window install would make more sense IMHO:

DSCN0174 b.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN0174 b.jpg
    DSCN0174 b.jpg
    314.4 KB · Views: 12