About to stick a toe in

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New Life

Reaction score
Wanted to introduce myself to all you wonderful nomads and wanna-be nomads. I'm planning a trip out west in my Odyssey in a couple weeks. This is my toe in the water. I love the west and love camping and always hate coming back to "civilization" so am hoping I will soon be a full-timer.
Would love to hear from any of you, esp. women in the Southeast who may be traveling to the Southwest this month (Oct.2018).
I'm a recently widowed 65 yr old woman ready to start my new life. I love CRVL --both the videos and the website--and can't wait to meet y'all.

Welcome New Life to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. try to make the RTR. highdesertranger

Howdy New Life! The Odessey is such a great vehicle to camp and travel in. I had one in the early Aughts, stealth camped all along the East Coast with my dogs and (at that time) young teen son. Sorry to hear of your loss. You are not alone on this forum! Hitting the road can be a wonderful way to heal and reinvent oneself.

The Dire Wolfess

Hello New Life. You have the right idea, stick the big toe in and test the waters. Don't need to make any premature decisions. Take a bunch of trips, see how it goes, and figure it out over time. Despite the impression that newcomers may have, I don't think all that many people around here are truly full-time nomads. Many of us enjoy living in both worlds - this one and that one, :). My first real trip was 6-weeks last winter, and all I could think of after that was to do it some more. If you go to the RTR or Quartzsite area this winter, you can see every type of rig imaginable.

Also, check the Gatherings and Womens Only sections for fellow travelers from your area. People are posting there all the time from all over the country.

Thanks to all of you for your kind welcomes. I'm still learning the ropes of how to use a forum but am finding lots of great info. If I don't reply or something, just know I'm not used to this yet. Hope to meet you all one day! :blush:

Hi Travelaround and Element Gypsy! Hope to meet up w/ y'all one day. Not sure if will make RTR or WRTR this year but you never know.
Thanks for the greetings.

HI and welcome
A whole new life adventure is coming your way :)
I wish you the best of luck and great times and safe travels!

Welcome to the forum, You said you were going in October but the first of January is there WRTR . I’m sure there will be a lot of ladies there that will welcome you and help you along

Yes, the WRTR would be great but not gonna work out on my schedule this time.
Hey Smitty, I see you're in Arkansas. I'm in Alabama and would like to find a good place to camp when driving thru your state, along I40, as I head west later this month. Are there any parks, etc, you'd recommend? Since I'm just getting used to camping alone, I wouldn't mind if there were other people nearby and maybe toilets. : )

I long I40 there’s not much unless your willing to go a hundred miles out of the way . BUT , there is the Arkansas Post , it’s south west of Memphis probably 20 miles off highway. Then if you get to Russellville on I40 there’s true Ouachita National Forest , offering camping, hiking And mountainous terrain. If you have time you can drop down to Hot Springs and enjoy that . There is Peti Jean Mountain in Morrilton , it’s a state park and right down the road is a car museum.. it depends on if you just want to pass threw Arkansas on 40 or spend a couple days in Arkansas

I recommend Petit Jean. The folks there really look after you and there is quite a bit to do and see. Mount Nebo and Mt. Magazine are close. Arkansas is a beautiful place and everyone seems to enjoy being outdoors. Have fun!

Thank you, LivGolden!! Gonna look at that place on the map; sounds like what I'll need.